Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Cowpunk's Profiles
    These CP’s are designed on a Canon C300 with firmware version 1.0.7.1.00. As of 02/7/13, this is the most recent firmware available only through Canon Service. It seems to change colorimetry of the camera slightly to more closely match that of the C100; as such, these profiles should work similarly on the C100 as they do on the C300. If you have older firmware installed on your C300, you will likely get unexpected and unintended results.

These CP’s are designed to work best in daylight white balance. I’ll be updating this sheet with tungsten versions ASAP. These profiles are a work in progress, and may change at any time. If I do update them, I’ll make an announcement on Twitter. Feedback is always welcome and appreciated!

Download C_PICT zip file for C300's with Daylight Balanced CP's here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?pm7gc3rzqt9kwoh
    Download C_PICT zip file for C300's with Tungsten Balanced CP's here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?v7uglkrripd9vf4

***A note on the Tungsten C_PICT Folder***
    In adapting the profiles for tungsten light, I found the V.Weed and C.Weed files were the only ones that needed adjustment. L.Weed did not have a noticeable color shift in tungsten light, so that file is good to go for daylight or tungsten light shooting. The file has been renamed WEED_log since it doesn't need a color temperature designation and it is still included in the tungsten download folder, but it is the exact same file as the L.WEED_5 profile in the daylight download folder; because, well, I like to make things as confusing as possible apparently ;) For those of you manually entering the settings into your C100, the only difference between the day and tungsten CP's is that Phase is set to +14 on the tungsten CP's.

There is also a bonus CP in the tungsten folder, called EOSnutrl, and it's an attempt to match the Neutral setting of Canon DSLR's. It's not exact, as there are some colors that just don't want to match, but it's close. Having a correct WB is paramount to getting the most similar color possible.

V.Weed_5: Profile with video gamma, natural saturated colors, & small amount of sharpening. Suitable for delivery without color grading.

Gamma: Normal 3
    Knee:
    Enable On
    Slope +2
    Point 90
    Saturation 0
    Sharpness:
    Level -6
    Color Matrix:
    Select Normal 4
    Gain +30
    Phase +3 (+14 for Tungsten)
    R-G -20
    R-B +11
    G-R -23
    G-B -14
    B-R -10
    B-G +1
    Color Correction:
    Select Area Area A
    A Setting:
    Phase 15
    Chroma 31
    Area 15
    Y Level 31
    A Revision:
    Level 0
    Phase -1

C.Weed_5: Profile with cine gamma suitable for a filmlook, slightly muted colors & smooth, soft skin tones. Handles color correction nicely, but has a great look without grading

Gamma: Cine 1
    Low Key Satur.
    Enable On
    Level -10
    Sharpness:
    Level -10
    Colo Matrix:
    Select Normal 4
    Gain +8
    Phase +3 (+14 for tungsten)
    R-G -20
    R-B +11
    G-R -23
    G-B -14
    B-R -10
    B-G +1
    Color Correction:
    Select Area Area A
    A Setting:
    Phase 15
    Chroma 31
    Area 15
    Y Level 31
    A Revision:
    Level 0
    Phase -1

WEED_Log, aka L.Weed_5: Profile for achieving maximum dynamic range from sensor while avoiding color skews of the installed CINEMA preset, such as the greenish yellows and blue-ish greens. The profile has an accurate color profile, muted color saturation, and flattering skin tones.

***IMPORTANT NOTE ON MANUALLY INSTALLING LOG CUSTOM PROFILES***
    When installing LOG custom profiles, start with a COPY of the original CINEMA profile. Unprotect that CP, then make the custom changes below. The gamma of Canon Log is slightly different when starting from a standard or default CP.

Gamma: Canon Log
    Black:
    Master Ped -4
    Low Key Satur.
    Enable On
    Level -10
    Sharpness:
    Level -10
    Color Matrix:
    Select Canon Log
    Gain +8
    Phase +18
    R-G -11
    R-B +6
    G-R -9
    G-B +16
    B-R -1
    B-G -6

EOSnutrl: A profile for emulating the look of the Neutral setting on Canon DSLR’s. Proper WB is very important for getting the most similar look possible because the cameras react slightly differently to WB variation.

Gamma: EOS Std
    Sharpness:
    Level -10
    Color Matrix:
    Select EOS Std
    Gain +41
    Phase +16
    R-G -32
    R-B +4
    G-R -21
    G-B -10
    B-R -3
    B-G -15

Log Matrix Based CP's:

For this batch, particularly, I wanted to base a set of custom profiles on the slightly remapped Canon Log profile that the new firmware gives the C300. In my opinion, the Canon Log color matrix gives the prettiest colors and best looking skin tone available on the C-series cameras, and these profiles are meant to take advantage of that. At the same time, there are definitely some inaccuracies in the color representation of certain primaries, and I tried to compensate for that as much as possible in these CP's as well.

Download here: LINK

The profiles are described below:

709LOG - video gamma profile that uses adjusted Canon Log color matrix. Looks quite similar to shooting Log + View Assist, but without the increased dynamic range that the log gamma provides.

cineLOG - Similar to above but with the cine1 gamma profile; more muted colors and flatter curve with a bit more dynamic range.

CINEMA.2 - A subtly adjusted CINEMA profile that corrects some of the color skews inherent in the native profile. Yellows are less green, greens are less cyan. Skin is just very slightly warmer. Takes full advantage of Canon's log gamma dynamic range, and looks great in View Assist and with Canon's LUT applied.

709LOG
    Gamma: Normal 3
    Black / Master Pedestal: -2
    Knee / Enable: On
    Slope: -2
    Point: 90
    Sharpness: -10
    Color Matrix / Select: Canon Log
    Gain: +30
    Phase: +11
    R-G: +3
    R-B: +1
    G-R: -8 or -6
    G-B: -2
    B-R: +3
    B-G: -1

cineLOG
    Same as above, but
    Gamma: Cine 1
    Black / Master Pedestal: 0
    Color Matrix / Gain: 0

CINEMA.2 (make sure you create adjustment on an unprotected copy of the original CINEMA profile)
    Same as above, but
    Gamma: Canon Log
    Black / Master Pedestal: -3
    Color Matrix / Gain: 0

Link to online Google doc w/ same info: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by cowpunk52; 09-06-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    Cinematographer | Camera Op | Occasional Director
    Currently Shooting "Expedition Unknown" on Travel Channel
    IATSE Local 600

Twitter: @BrianCWeed

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Brian, did you get the Excel spreadsheet I sent you?

BTW, thanks for the advice about the Canon Log picture style.

3. Collapse Details
    I did not! Hopefully you can make sense of the google doc I typed out
    IATSE Local 600

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpunk52 View Post
    I did not! Hopefully you can make sense of the google doc I typed out
    You might want to check your Spam folder. I sent it a few days ago.

5. Collapse Details
    Good work Brian! Has Canon admitted that the color science changed with the new firmware, or is it you that had to do all the detective work? I'm also intrigued by the need to do different CP's for 3200K and 5600K. I would have thought that, assuming a proper white balance, the matrix offsets from the preamp gain levels would be very close, but clearly Art Adams found it necessary to do as well.

Jeff Regan
    SHOOTING STAR VIDEO

www.ssv.com

New: Sony PMW-F55, Canon C300 PL, Canon CN-E 30-105mm, 14, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135mm w/PL-mount, AllStar 80-200mm, GL 11-16mm, 18-35 Cine lenses.

Panasonic HPX255/250 P2,
    Sony EX1, HSC-300/HXC-100 cameras, Arri, Chrosziel, Elements, Sachtler, Zacuto support, FSI, Leader, Panasonic, TV Logic HD LCD monitors, MYT Works 4' slider, Arri, LTM Pepper, Chimera, Kino Flo, F&V lighting. HD Fly Pack with Panasonic HS410 switcher.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Good work Brian! Has Canon admitted that the color science changed with the new firmware, or is it you that had to do all the detective work? I'm also intrigued by the need to do different CP's for 3200K and 5600K. I would have thought that, assuming a proper white balance, the matrix offsets from the preamp gain levels would be very close, but clearly Art Adams found it necessary to do as well.
    I called Canon and spoke with a few tech guys, but no one knew much about exactly what the new firmware does. They thought my experiences were interesting, and promised to send the report up the chain to see what's happening. We'll see... but don't hold your breathe for any official word. Other than that, it was my own sleuthing - which is why I'm still reticent to make the claim with absolute certainty, but all the evidence I've gathered so far supports the theory.

The need to do different CP's isn't an absolutely necessary one - but the camera does see red a little differently in tungsten light. Mostly it just looks a little more orange. While most people probably wouldn't notice, I think it still is a worthy idea to compensate for the differences since it won't be terribly hard.
    Last edited by cowpunk52; 02-07-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    IATSE Local 600

7. Collapse Details
    Brian, I just shot a 5600K scene with my wife as a model and various CP's, modified Art's Alexa709 by changing Matrix B-R from 0 to 7 for less magenta in the reds. Of all the CP's, including Alistair Chapman's, another rental house's various CP's, my own EOS color(EOS Std. with Cine gamma) and saturation down to -15, I like your C.Weed_5 best. Definitely works for WYSIWYG. I think I'll try your CP on the next shoot I do with our C300! Thank you.

Jeff Regan
    SHOOTING STAR VIDEO

www.ssv.com

New: Sony PMW-F55, Canon C300 PL, Canon CN-E 30-105mm, 14, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135mm w/PL-mount, AllStar 80-200mm, GL 11-16mm, 18-35 Cine lenses.

Panasonic HPX255/250 P2,
    Sony EX1, HSC-300/HXC-100 cameras, Arri, Chrosziel, Elements, Sachtler, Zacuto support, FSI, Leader, Panasonic, TV Logic HD LCD monitors, MYT Works 4' slider, Arri, LTM Pepper, Chimera, Kino Flo, F&V lighting. HD Fly Pack with Panasonic HS410 switcher.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    What's the deal with the temp profiles as far as white balancing goes? Should I leave my WB hard set at 3200/5500 or can I fudge a little? Such as a manual WB that suggests 5700k for example?

9. Collapse Details
    Glad you're enjoying the images, Jeff! Gary, there's no hard and fast rule regarding white balance, but I would probably use the daylight version on anything above 4000k and then a tungsten version when shooting below that. Speaking of which, I'll have the tungsten versions finalized very soon. They're just slightly adjusted variations.
    IATSE Local 600

10. Collapse Details
    The original post has been updated with tungsten versions, and also a bonus CP - EOSnutrl, which is my attempt to emulate the Neutral setting of Canon DSLR's. Have fun!
    IATSE Local 600

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast