Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleGorch View Post
    I really wish someone would buy Ikonoskop and 'finish' developing it. This would be ideal for someone like Leica, who haven't impressed anyone with the video capability in the $7k M 240.
    I want to see footage with their most recent firmware update. They supposedly corrected how black level metadata is recorded which should eliminate the magenta cast problem.

2. Collapse Details
    No NLE handles uncompressed DNG raw files real time for now unless you are willing to accept mediocre quality fast debayer algorithms. You need to treat the DNG's as what they are, digital negatives. Transcode to a high quality DI codec like Prores, Cineform, or DNXHD and finish as you normally would any video. The key is to use the highest quality debayer option which won't run real time on most current computers and do primary gray scale, white balance, and color correction to get close to your finished look.

3. Collapse Details
    Baltimore USA & Villefranche de Rouergue, France
    Ok, I am very close to pulling the trigger on ordering a DII, if I do so it'll be in the next couple of weeks......I love the "S16 concept" and like pretty much everything about the camera but I am still somewhat nervous about the RAW workflow.
    I have discovered that none of my three Mac's will handle the post using Resolve to work the RAW files, so a newer computer has to be in the mix too, and probably a 27" iMac because I can't stand working on small screens for editing or any kind of post work.
    Would the newer iMacs be ok?
    Real time playback I hope?...If not that could be a killer.
    I do wish that making the decision to buy this camera was an easy one, it's not. It's hard to get any real feedback and as there's few of them out there it's hard to be "hands on" with one.
    So if any of you out there would like to chip in with your experiences with the Ikonoskop A-Cam DII I'd be very keen to read what you have to say right now.
    Thanks!...PM

4. Collapse Details
    The new firmware update 1.28 that Ikonoskop just released is great; false color in the viewfinder now as well as a LUT that is in the viewfinder as well as the SDI output which makes the image in an external monitor just gorgeous. This may open up the possibility to recording externally via Atomos Samurai or Pix 240 and getting a 422 10 bit image if you don't want the RAW for longer shoots. Youre not going to get real time playback at full speed in Resolve unless you match their specs for a graphics card which means you'll have to have an NVIDIA card(do the new iMacs have them?). Speedgrade is no problem and plays the DNGs flawlessly. You'll also need something like a Pegasus Thunderbolt RAID or GRaid. I got an 8TB Thunderbolt GRaid from Safe Harbour for $650 which was a great price. If you're doing commercial work just factor in the cost of one of these for your quote to your client since its not practical to store everyones RAW footage for a year.

My A-Cam is going with me to Africa in two weeks for a documentary that will last a year. I have distilled the "in the field" workflow down to a very manageable system. The camera always works, never a problem other than a couple of restarts after upgrading firmware. The company is very responsive and will help you with any questions very quickly.

Any specific questions feel free to ask, I will be updating my blog with many more experiences on the equipment I'm using, rig, evf etc and a video of the workflow in the next week.
    http://resonanceimaging.squarespace.com/
    Ikonoskop A-Cam DII packages for rent in Los Angeles

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by resonance_image View Post
    The new firmware update 1.28 that Ikonoskop just released is great; false color in the viewfinder now as well as a LUT that is in the viewfinder as well as the SDI output which makes the image in an external monitor just gorgeous. This may open up the possibility to recording externally via Atomos Samurai or Pix 240 and getting a 422 10 bit image if you don't want the RAW for longer shoots. Youre not going to get real time playback at full speed in Resolve unless you match their specs for a graphics card which means you'll have to have an NVIDIA card(do the new iMacs have them?). Speedgrade is no problem and plays the DNGs flawlessly. You'll also need something like a Pegasus Thunderbolt RAID or GRaid. I got an 8TB Thunderbolt GRaid from Safe Harbour for $650 which was a great price. If you're doing commercial work just factor in the cost of one of these for your quote to your client since its not practical to store everyones RAW footage for a year.

My A-Cam is going with me to Africa in two weeks for a documentary that will last a year. I have distilled the "in the field" workflow down to a very manageable system. The camera always works, never a problem other than a couple of restarts after upgrading firmware. The company is very responsive and will help you with any questions very quickly.

As ever, an informative post....Thanks. I think you've pushed me over the edge!

I am going to have the check the new iMac's specs, and maybe, reluctantly very reluctantly, move from FCP7 Studio to Premier with Speedgrade.
    I hate having to learn new software, too much time sitting in front of a LCD, but if needs must......

Good news about Ikonoskop's updated firmware too, thanks again for that, maybe now my PIX 240 will be a decent partner with this camera, especially when it comes to handling the audio files....and if the SDi gives a useable feed maybe I would be able to offline first with files from that device before even touching the DII's raw files.

Hopefully TC is embedded in the SDi out, but if not I guess I could jam the camera and the PIX so they are in sync.

I hope too to be able to use some of my A-Minima "bits" with the DII, namely the AM top handle, the AM power base, the Origin C+ for TC slaving, and for external power I hope that some of my Aaton batteries would work too with the external power cable. It would be nice if these accessories could be useful. Certainly my good collection of S16 glass will find work to do.

One question, how are you powering the camera? Are you just using the internal Sony batteries or do you have an external source too?

Good luck with the documentary, and I look forward to your updates when you have time to post them.

PM

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by petermullett View Post

As ever, an informative post....Thanks. I think you've pushed me over the edge!

I am going to have the check the new iMac's specs, and maybe, reluctantly very reluctantly, move from FCP7 Studio to Premier with Speedgrade.
    I hate having to learn new software, too much time sitting in front of a LCD, but if needs must......

Good news about Ikonoskop's updated firmware too, thanks again for that, maybe now my PIX 240 will be a decent partner with this camera, especially when it comes to handling the audio files....and if the SDi gives a useable feed maybe I would be able to offline first with files from that device before even touching the DII's raw files.

Hopefully TC is embedded in the SDi out, but if not I guess I could jam the camera and the PIX so they are in sync.

I hope too to be able to use some of my A-Minima "bits" with the DII, namely the AM top handle, the AM power base, the Origin C+ for TC slaving, and for external power I hope that some of my Aaton batteries would work too with the external power cable. It would be nice if these accessories could be useful. Certainly my good collection of S16 glass will find work to do.

One question, how are you powering the camera? Are you just using the internal Sony batteries or do you have an external source too?

Good luck with the documentary, and I look forward to your updates when you have time to post them.

PM
    Well it looks like the new iMacs have Nvidia cards so you could run Resolve lite, just offline with your prores files from the PIX240 and then replace with the DNGs in Resolve. Resolve will also match up the audio files for you so it makes things very quick and painless. Its free so worth a shot before switching to CS6.

I was going to get a Pix for the documentary but its too power hungry for long unsupported shoots away from mains. I am just using the NP770s internally to power the camera which lasts about an hour but keeps the camera light for travel. I have 8 which is fine for a day or two before needing to refresh. Shooting in North America a V lock balances the camera with a zoom very nicely.
    http://resonanceimaging.squarespace.com/
    Ikonoskop A-Cam DII packages for rent in Los Angeles

7. Collapse Details
    .......are you recording the audio direct to the DII or will you record to an external device like a SD 702 or another recorder? Maybe split to both?
    You're right about the newer iMac, they seem to have to graphics cards that will run Resolve, even the newer version announced at NAB yesterday.
    My order should in for a DII at the end of the week. I was waiting to see what would have been announced at NAB and although Blackmagic's new offerings are very interesting, and despite their pricing for features offered do make the DII look extremely expensive by comparison I still like the S16 lens usage and the form factor of the A-Cam more. I do wish of course that the camera offered more flexible outputs without the use of external recorders, but maybe down the road Ikonoskop may find a way of doing that with a firmware and hardware upgrades.

8. Collapse Details
    Speedgrade has pretty stringent real time requirements for video cards too. They support Nvidia Quadro 4000 and up only. Not available in an iMac as far as I know.

9. Collapse Details
    I appreciate all the help and advice from those who have joined this thread and have helped me make this decision.....My order for a DII has been made, so I look forward to receiving the camera in about a month or so.
    I am sure that a good period of post/raw file processing confusion lays ahead, but I am equally sure that the experience will be well worth it....
    Thanks to you all.
    Peter
    Last edited by petermullett; 04-11-2013 at 09:49 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Congratulations. I think the Kodak CCD's have a denser more film like texture to their images than most CMOS cameras. Love the way they look. Can't wait to see some samples with the latest firmware. Color quality should be significantly better without the typical magenta cast to deal with. The magenta cast apparently results from black level metadata not being written correctly to the raw file and this is one item they listed as being addressed with the latest firmware update.

The Ikonoskop and the upcoming Digital Bolex are both designed to appeal more to film shooters than videographers. It is a functional paradigm and workflow that I like a lot.

Check out this demo of the Pomfort DIT debayer and transcode software that was developed in partnership with Digital Bolex for cinemaDNG cameras and will be available for sale from Pomfort in the no too distant future as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw9vpCxFeoM
    Last edited by Razz16mm; 04-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast