Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Are there any XHA1s still in use?
    In 2008 I bought an XHA1 and made a couple of web videos. I enjoyed it but needed cash and sold my camera about a year and a half later. About 2 months ago, I came across an Xha1, hv40, redrock e2m 35mm adapter, and a AT897 mic. All for a killer price in mint condition. After that i upgraded my computer, bought CS6 production suite, then got Barry Green's light and sound DVDs. I have been studying this forum and now I am ready to make some short films.

The problem is I feel like I have a Ford model T in a modern NASCAR race. I know my equipment is old, but can I still produce a decent product? (By today's idie standards, I am not talking PL lenses and big budgets) Do people even use these cameras anymore? This tread has only had a few entries over the last couple years.

I want a Canon 7d to round off my equipment and give me some DOF but even that is old technology! Should I just cash out and go another direction?

Thanks guys.

2. Collapse Details
    I made a grand today using my xha1, In fact, I still use these cams frequently. Here's why, I feel thats it's not worth even selling at this point. I have an xha1, and xha1s. Their worth about a 1,000 each, give or take a few quid. So for old tech, it's still bringing in a decent day rate, the final is going to dvd as a training video.

I have some dslr's, but their not always the right tool for the job, I couldn't even imagine using a dslr for my gig today, I needed long record times, aprox 1 hr per take, broken into three segments, I also needed good audio, and utilized the xlr's going to an avantone hyper mic. I had very little setup time, so the pro features of the cam made it possible just by having access to real buttons and switches. Didn't have to look in one menu, there's something to be said just for that.

So as far as your gear, yeah it's a bit long in the tooth, but it's not an issue if your any good at your craft. I actually like the look of the redrock encore, gives a nice organic image. You just need to spend more time lighting due to light loss from the dof adapter, but not to much as thats a good adapter. That movie monsters was made with a sony and letus dof adapter, it looked great. It's about story regardless.

So use what you have, pick up a t3i or 7d for low light stuff, Now you will have most scenarios covered. One thing to remember, the xha1 out resolve the 7d all day long, and with out aliasing, plus the ccd's can make or break certain jobs.

If you do end up selling your gear let me know what you want for the hv40, my daughter want one to go with her hv30.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm going to use mine today.

XH-A1 got:
    - 3CCD global shutter 1/16000
    - constant f3,6 at 20x zoom
    - Pro features
    - looks cool
    Igelkott Film is Hedgehog Film
    www.igelkottfilm.com

4. Collapse Details
    My XH-A1s works regularly to capture old Super-8 films transfers.
    A perfect cam for me !
    (And maybe a MRC1K or a DN60 for its future...)

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
    My XH-A1s works regularly to capture old Super-8 films transfers.
    A perfect cam for me !
    (And maybe a MRC1K or a DN60 for its future...)
    I haven't used a dn-60, I have read there's some issues with the a1 with it,( maybe a firmware upgrade fixed it though.) But I do have and use a citidisc cfr on a regular basis, I also have a firestore, which I would not recomend, they have terrible service rediculous service prices, and their just tough to deal with. They don't respond to emails or phone calls, I will never recomend or buy another focus enhancement product ,EVER!!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maranfilms View Post
    I haven't used a dn-60, I have read there's some issues with the a1 with it,( maybe a firmware upgrade fixed it though.) But I do have and use a citidisc cfr on a regular basis, I also have a firestore, which I would not recomend, they have terrible service rediculous service prices, and their just tough to deal with. They don't respond to emails or phone calls, I will never recomend or buy another focus enhancement product ,EVER!!
    Thank you for sharing your experience.
    Yes, I read too these DN-60 / XH-A1 issues (especially in Europe); there is now a DN-60a, maybe a little more reliable ?
    I don't know the CitiDisk CFR; it works right with your XH-A1 ?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience.
    Yes, I read too these DN-60 / XH-A1 issues (especially in Europe); there is now a DN-60a, maybe a little more reliable ?
    I don't know the CitiDisk CFR; it works right with your XH-A1 ?
    Yes, the citidisc is made by shining technology, it's very small, records to cf card and works well with the xha1. Around the same price as the dn-60.

8. Collapse Details
    Yes, the citidisc is made by shining technology, it's very small, records to cf card and works well with the xha1. Around the same price as the dn-60.
    Well, OK, thank you maranfilms !

9. Collapse Details
    So use what you have, pick up a t3i or 7d for low light stuff, Now you will have most scenarios covered. One thing to remember, the xha1 out resolve the 7d all day long, and with out aliasing, plus the ccd's can make or break certain jobs.
    Truth.

I use an XLH1 for a lot of corporate type stuff, for certain reality style documentary work, and for wildlife filming. I have even sold footage from it to news networks (when paired with a nanoflash).

I use the 5Dmk3 and T3i for all the glam shots and low light work.

A used XHA1 and used T2i will cover most scenarios.

10. Collapse Details
    it's wonderful to know that this camera still find its existence in today's time. i really like its image quality. but now i want to move to tape-less format and am considering to sell this off. i have xh a1s. i am in dilemma whether to sell this off or get myself datavideo dn-60.

this camera is absolutely wonderful in terms of picture quality and features. besides, i don't find any other camera currently which i feel worth buying. there are some good cameras but they come at a high price.

i want to stick to my xh a1s but want to have a card recorder. if it can record on cards, there is no need to find another cam.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast