Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Case/Bag Recommendation
    Hi everyone,
    I bought the AC-90 last month and, going by B&H's measurements on the size of the camera, I also purchased a bag to carry it in (the CineBags Skinny Jimmy). The only problem is B&H's measurements are for the camera without the mic holder attached. The bag wasn't tall enough, so I returned it. So I eventually ordered a different bag, a Kata CC-197 PL, which I knew the cam would fit inside. When I received it, I discovered it was HUGE, way bigger than I expected, and I don't really have anywhere to keep such a monster sized bag, so it went back as well.

Camera bags are hard to visualize using tiny photos and a list of measurements on a website. For a couple of bags, I haven't even been able to find photos of the interior. The nearest places to look at any bags/cases that would fit the AC-90 in person are 3 - 4 hours away, so I'm kinda stuck looking online, but there are a ton of choices and I'm not in love with any of them.

What bags/carrying cases are other AC-90 owners using? I need something that isn't gigantic, but tall enough to leave the mic holder attached, and preferably with dividers and/or pouches to hold spare batteries, charger, filters, SD cards, etc. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Doug

2. Collapse Details
    This is what I use in my AC90 and AC130
    http://www.amazon.com/Kata-Capsule-1...ta+capsule+183

with the AC90, I sometimes leave my short shotgun mic mounted in the mic holder and have enough space for led lights and accessories. i like the price too

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    not an answer to your question, but i do wonder why they made the microphone holder like this. why not just add a second hotshoe (or: coldshoe)? do they expect us to have screwdrivers at hand all the time? with a second hotshoe you can mount anything, a light, a micholder, recorder.. and you can take it off with ease.
    i am now searching for some little shoe mount that i can fix to these screw holes.

4. Collapse Details
    The Kata Capsules are indeed very good soft cases. You just need to get a larger model, as ataxelramofsanquintin suggested.

I made the exact same mistake myself in ordering my Kata, so I have to remove my microphone when transporting my AC130. I admit that it is somewhat inconvenient.
    Canon Vixia HF G10. PANASONIC AG-AC130 . PANASONIC GH2 AND GH3 . Nikon D600. Adobe Premier Pro CS 6
    Canon Directional Stereo Microphone DM100 . RODE VIDEOMIC PRO . AUDIO-TECHNICA BP4029 STEREO SHOTGUN MICROPHONE

5. Collapse Details
    I decided to go incognito with my case and I am using a rolling duffel bag that I padded. I got lucky and found a discontinued Skullcandy with 6 pockets at Target for under $30 which has I would have preferred a name brand like the Kata, but I wanted something bigger and less obvious. I don't like the microphone holder either. It messes up with my 312 LED panel too. I live with it, but I don't like it. I have a Pelican 1510 case for airline travel and I would have to take the mic attachment to make it fit in that.

6. Collapse Details
    Axelramofsanquintin (can I call you Axel?), I like the looks of the Kata Capsule bag, but I see that the interior dimensions given for it say it is only 8.3" high, when the AC-90 with mic holder is about 9". Obviously, if you're using it the AC-90 must fit. Does it have any space between the top of the bag and the mic holder, or does the holder press up against the bag? And is that price for real? The seller has good Amazon feedback ratings, for the most part, but other sellers are selling the same bag for $149.99. Even Amazon itself is selling it for $106. That makes me worry the $41 is too good to be true.

This is why I really wish I could just go to a store and look at the bags. I wish I lived closer to B&H

7. Collapse Details
    @dmwc

$41 on the Kata Capsule from LCD4video is a killer deal. I bought my first 10 months ago for $46.00 and the second 3 months ago for $43.00 from the same vendor thru eBay. It even comes with a free rain cover for the bag and designed so that you can mount the covered bag in a trolley.

actual height inside is 9 3/4", same reason even my AC130 with a Manfrotto 501 PL plate for a height of 9 1/2" it still fits.

I made the same mistake as others trying to find the ideal size. So first i ordered the -183, then I thought its not the right size so I returned/exchanged it to the next size. The next size is way too big, can't have it as hand-carry when traveling by air. I returned the bigger model and reordered the -183. I used the -183 carrying my AC130 in two domestic air trips and I am very pleased with the features.

AC90 with a Azden SGM PDII inside the Kata Capsule 183. Excuse the orientation, it flips this way every time I exported the file.

photo.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by axelramofsanquintin; 01-31-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added photo

8. Collapse Details
    I just ordered the Kata 183 because of this thread. Thanks axelramofsanquintin!

9. Collapse Details
    I just ordered it too. And since the bag is such a good price, I think I'll also get an LED light with my savings Thanks for the recommendation, info, and photos axelramofsanquintin!

10. Collapse Details
    New Chrome Niko Backpack came in time for an out of town shoot. Had no problem fitting what I needed plus some extras. We'll see how it holds up this weekend.

IMG_1061.jpgIMG_1062.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast