Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 241
  1. Collapse Details
    Metabones Speed Booster
    #1
    Senior Member nyvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,199
    Default
    Just ordered one of these myself, they went on sale a few hours ago.

    http://www.metabones.com/sony/ef-e-speed-booster

    Effectively turns the FS700 (and all NEX cameras) into a full frame 35mm camera. My 24-70mm and 70-200mm f2.8 lenses will become 17-50mm and 50-142mm f2.0, and my 50mm f1.4 will become a 35mm f1.0!
    Noah Yuan-Vogel
    http://www.noahyv.com


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Default
    Glad to see someone finally did it! We had some experimenters here trying to make their own over the past couple of years, but the review makes it sound like MTF has really produced a solid well-performing product.

    Curious about the patent issue though. These products could never come to market before because, AIUI, Kodak held a patent on this technology. If MTF has licensed it properly, then congrats to them, this is long overdue. If they haven't, then they may have issues down the road, but maybe Kodak's fiscal woes convinced them to license it finally?

    Either way, an M43 BMC would become a Lot more practical with something like this!


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member nyvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,199
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Either way, an M43 BMC would become a Lot more practical with something like this!
    m4/3 could probably even put a 2x reducer to good use! Standard full frame zooms (24-70 f2.8) would become 12mm-35mm f1.4 on a BMCC/GH2. Doesn't sound like anything other than 1.4x reducer is planned though.

    Their whitepaper on the product is pretty interesting, apparently the adapter corrects a number of lens issues that would still exist even on a FF35 digital camera, and even improves telecentricity...
    Noah Yuan-Vogel
    http://www.noahyv.com


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member legrevedotcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,639
    Default
    Wauw... straight to the top of the list over useful must have items. Have anyone found a reseller that is ready to offer them in EU?


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Default
    I'd be interested to see how this works, i'd asked years ago whether full frame lenses could be adapted down to APS-C like this and was told a firm no way. Glad to see that i was right.

    It would be an optical solution, so a real world test would be ideal.

    I'd also like to see the adapter for different mounts, EF is pretty limiting.

    Well done conorus (which i assume is the guy that did it)

    cheers
    Paul


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Default
    This does look very interesting indeed! Does anyone know of a reputable European reseller for Metabones? Got to try one of these for my FS100.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Senior Member nyvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,199
    Default
    Looks like a couple people did reviews of pre-production copies of this adapter:

    http://bnaro.com/b/metabones-speed-b...vable-adapter/
    http://philipbloom.net/2013/01/13/speedbooster/

    Also metabone's whitepaper has quite a few compelling tests showing higher mtf and reduced filter-pack artifacts with the adapter when using older lenses. I'm sure there is some transmission loss and some optical loss, but that is probably fairly insignificant compared to the optical gains you get from utilizing 2x as many photons that otherwise were not hitting the sensor and from the miniaturization of the image circle.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel
    http://www.noahyv.com


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member nyvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,199
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    I'd be interested to see how this works, i'd asked years ago whether full frame lenses could be adapted down to APS-C like this and was told a firm no way. Glad to see that i was right.
    The main issue with doing this years ago is that large sensor cameras with no reflex mirror and with short flange distances did not really exist. You couldn't do this without a fair amount of room for optical elements. On the other hand, it might have been possible to make one of these to put medium format glass on 35mm, especially old rangefinders, but this EOS-NEX version really makes the most sense because FF35 glass is so accessible and so well designed for its price compared to most other formats because it is the biggest lens market and has been for decades.

    Focal reducers have been used in a lot of other designs, but never really in a general purpose adapter. I've heard of 35mm cine lenses modified with reducers for use on 16mm to get really fast 16m lenses, and I always suspected the m43 f2.0 zooms olympus makes might just be another lens design with a reducer added on.

    It would be kind of cool if metabones made a way to use the same optical reducer with multiple interchangeable mounts, but for the price its a good deal anyway, and they may make a killing if they are able to release this in a lot of really desirable mounts. One interesting use might be a PL lens to EOS version for putting PL Zeiss CP lenses on EF-mounts like Scarlet/C300/BMCC since CPs are quite popular but their big problem is they are dont go very wide or very fast and this helps on both fronts, and I have no doubt people looking at Sony's new F5/F55 cameras would love an EOS lens to FZ-mount version. Problem is a lot of popular cameras are not using short flange mounts so they can't really get adapters like this. Adapters like this will really help give a big boost to Sony's pro cameras since it really shows off the usefulness lens mount designs.

    Sounds like a m43 version is coming, which is big news for BMCC/AF100/GH2 m4/3 users.
    Last edited by nyvz; 01-14-2013 at 04:38 AM.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel
    http://www.noahyv.com


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by nyvz View Post
    The main issue with doing this years ago is that large sensor cameras with no reflex mirror and with short flange distances did not really exist. You couldn't do this without a fair amount of room for optical elements. On the other hand, it might have been possible to make one of these to put medium format glass on 35mm, especially old rangefinders, but this EOS-NEX version really makes the most sense because FF35 glass is so accessible and so well designed for its price compared to most other formats because it is the biggest lens market and has been for decades.

    Focal reducers have been used in a lot of other designs, but never really in a general purpose adapter. I've heard of 35mm cine lenses modified with reducers for use on 16mm to get really fast 16m lenses, and I always suspected the m43 f2.0 zooms olympus makes might just be another lens design with a reducer added on.

    It would be kind of cool if metabones made a way to use the same optical reducer with multiple interchangeable mounts, but for the price its a good deal anyway, and they may make a killing if they are able to release this in a lot of really desirable mounts. One interesting use might be a PL lens to EOS version for putting PL Zeiss CP lenses on EF-mounts like Scarlet/C300/BMCC since CPs are quite popular but their big problem is they are dont go very wide or very fast and this helps on both fronts, and I have no doubt people looking at Sony's new F5/F55 cameras would love an EOS lens to FZ-mount version. Problem is a lot of popular cameras are not using short flange mounts so they can't really get adapters like this. Adapters like this will really help give a big boost to Sony's pro cameras since it really shows off the usefulness lens mount designs.

    Sounds like a m43 version is coming, which is big news for BMCC/AF100/GH2 m4/3 users.
    That's a fair point about mirrorless cameras a few years back. I would like to see adapters between other brands and e mount. Of course the EF could have an adapter itself but a non electronic version would be great.

    Of course we'd stop using the sweet spot for a full frame lens and we'll start bringing edges in so it's a balancing act.

    Even so a great idea, and i hope there will be other versions out there.

    cheers
    paul


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,558
    Default
    I wonder if this adapter also reduces the minimum focusing distance of the lenses? That would be really sweet.

    Metabones is an INCREDIBLE company. I cannot believe the stuff they make. Metabones I was really good, but right after I got it, they came out with Metabones II (A lot better than Mark I), which I just bought about 3 days ago, and now this Speed Booster? I feel like I'm always about a day late with their products since they innovate so fast.

    But I guess I'll live since I'm a long lens kind of guy as I love that compressed look and their 2 adapters somewhat compliment each other. But I might just have to get this at some point. Wait for some real world tests.
    -------
    Entire Portfolio: http://www.builtbyugene.com/index.html


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •