Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    I did a little blog where I worked out some numbers..

http://www.sammorganmoore.com/backlo...e-golden-three
    You state on your blog
    "Let us not forget that smaller chips cameras (S35/APSc) have deeper focus (for equivalent fstop viewing distance and angle of view) So, to get that ‘fullframe’ look you will need to shoot a stop wider."

Not sure I understand this. I think some strong points are: better IQ, faster lens, same FOV as FF, plus even better IQ and ability to us less than FF on MFT--and here MFT includes GH2/GH3. Or maybe I'm missing something.
    HD Video: GH5, G85, ax700
    Microphones: Sennheiser MKH 80 MKH20 MKH40
    Neumann 11-pattern dual capsule main pair by Rens Heijnis
    Schoeps MK2, MK2H, MK21, MK41
    own design ribbon mics

2. Collapse Details
    I hope someone has an idea of adding an attachable speed booster onto the bmcc ef moubt. Its mount has eniugh space for it and is cone shaped for easy placement. Hope someine can syudy this!

Or maybe not possible since the speed booster requires smaller fflange. Doh!

3. Collapse Details
    Interesting.

Generally you need a wider fstop to match dof with a smaller chip,

my point being that say shooting at 2.8 on S35 looks like shooting F4 on Fullframe, so taking your f4lens and using it converted on a smaller chip camera only gets you back to where you were if you had used that lens on a FF camera - it doesnt get you somewhere 'new' it just makes the lens appropriate to the chip size .. which is great

S

4. Collapse Details
    Regarding DoF:

vs NEX (1.5x crop factor):
    50mm f/2.8 on full frame turns, with the metabones adapter, into 35mm f/2.0 on NEX. This gives you the FoV and DoF of a 54mm f/3.0 on full frame. So, basically the same.

vs m43 (2x crop factor):
    50mm f/2.8 on full frame turns, with the metabones adapter, into 35mm f/2.0 on M43. This gives you the FoV and DoF of a 70mm f/4.0 on full frame. With a dumb adapter instead of the metabones one, you'd have the equivalent of a 100mm f/5.6.
    To match that 50mm f/2.8 on full frame with your m43 camera and metabones adapter, you'd need a 35mm f/2.0. Without the metabones adapter, you'd need a 25mm f/1.4.

So, the metabones adapter takes 1 stop (1.4x crop) ouf of the small sensor disadvantage. You end up with shallower DoF than a smaller sensor would have, but, if crop factor is more than 1.4x, still not as good as using a big sensor in the first place. It turns the fullframe vs m43 advantage from 2 stops to just 1 stop. And it turns NEX (1.5x) into something that's basically equivalent to full frame (but with better low light capabilities: if you can choose between 50mm f/2.8 on full frame and 35mm f/2.0 on NEX, you'll have the same FoV and DoF on both systems, but you have one stop more light on the NEX, so you can use a 1-stop-lower ISO).

Still unknown: effect on sharpness, bokeh, color, contrast...
    I have a NEX camera and a very nice set of vintage Leica-R primes, anyone care to send me a metabones adapter for a test?
    Edit: they even have a Leica-R to NEX dumb adapter (http://www.metabones.com/product/son...adapter-detail ); this is suddenly in my want list, even if I'm still somewhat skeptic about its IQ performance.
    For those complaining about price, consider that, as long as it is somewhat decent, it's probably going to be the cheapest way for me to get a 24mm f/2.0 (out of my 35mm f/2.8). Also: what's cheaper, a D800, a 5D3, or a NEX-5N plus Metabones adapter?
    Last edited by Samuel H; 01-16-2013 at 04:04 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    for BMCC users I am almost certain someone could develop a little lens insert which drops into the protruding EF mount. If I had a bmcc with that stupid ef mount I would certainly be looking at buying one of these speed boosters with the intention of refitting the speed booster lens arrangement into a smaller body which you insert into the ef mount

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dcloud View Post
    I hope someone has an idea of adding an attachable speed booster onto the bmcc ef moubt. Its mount has eniugh space for it and is cone shaped for easy placement. Hope someine can syudy this!
    No, the speed booster is taking EF lenses, how could it fit between this and an EF mount, short of making it a macro-only lens? It's leveraging the much shorter flange distance of E and MFT mounts, it couldn't be possibly adapted on a DSLR mount...

7. Collapse Details
    ...if blackmagic is on top of the game, they're already working on pairing this with active m/3 mount....which will effectively obsolete their ef mount camera . I'd also love to see a dumb fd to m4/3 version...but that might just be a personal fantasy. Has metabones commented on how long before we see the m4/3 version ? As I stated before, because we're still waiting on their ef to m4/3 v2 , I'm withholding becoming ecstatic ...or deciding on my nex next purchase...one or the other.

8. Collapse Details
    Now all we need are cell phones with interchangeable lens mounts, so they can make a 8x optical reducer and turn our cell phone cameras into full frame 35mm cameras that take full frame lenses

Unfortunately there may be an optical limitation to the amount you can reduce most lens's focal lengths...
    Noah Yuan-Vogel
    http://www.noahyv.com

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by richg101 View Post
    for BMCC users I am almost certain someone could develop a little lens insert which drops into the protruding EF mount. If I had a bmcc with that stupid ef mount I would certainly be looking at buying one of these speed boosters with the intention of refitting the speed booster lens arrangement into a smaller body which you insert into the ef mount
    ...Or just wait for their S35 sensor camera, which is sure to be announced before the end of the year.

One thing's for sure - it just made all of my other Canon to NEX adapters feel a whole lot less loved.
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Interesting.

Generally you need a wider fstop to match dof with a smaller chip,

my point being that say shooting at 2.8 on S35 looks like shooting F4 on Fullframe, so taking your f4lens and using it converted on a smaller chip camera only gets you back to where you were if you had used that lens on a FF camera - it doesnt get you somewhere 'new' it just makes the lens appropriate to the chip size .. which is great

S
    You can compare images here: 1600 ISO vs 3200 ISO
    http://www.eoshd.com/content/9474/pr...me-5d-mark-iii

I'm not big on the math, but these photos are truly impressive.
    HD Video: GH5, G85, ax700
    Microphones: Sennheiser MKH 80 MKH20 MKH40
    Neumann 11-pattern dual capsule main pair by Rens Heijnis
    Schoeps MK2, MK2H, MK21, MK41
    own design ribbon mics

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast