Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I thought we were still waiting for the ef to m43 smart adapter ? Do you think that's why metabones delayed it in the first place ? Really, this has the potential of making the gh3 and the bmcc so much more utilitarian. And if it made bloom happy , it must have real possibilities.

2. Collapse Details
    I did a little blog where I worked out some numbers..

http://www.sammorganmoore.com/backlo...e-golden-three

3. Collapse Details
    NO NO NO. NOT A THIRD THREAD!!!!!

STRIKE THAT! FOUR THREADS!

Can a Mod Please combine these three threads? My brain is hurting from having to read 3 4 threads!

Thread #1: Metabones Speed Booster, makes Nikon and Canon lenses wider and faster!!!!!
    Thread #2: Metabones Speed Booster - Faster, Sharper, Wider lenses on APS-C and below...
    Thread #3: New Metabones adapter coming for EOS=>M4/3 that makes the lens faster!
    Thread #4: Metabones Speed Booster

Or maybe a whole new www.metabonesUser.com forum?

(Sorry for the cross posting of this in all three FOUR threads. That sort of happens when there are three FOUR threads on the same topic.)
    Last edited by keylight; 01-14-2013 at 09:58 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Having a closer look at the white paper reveals that MTF improvements are really only over a small part of the image, located in the center. In the outer parts the MTF is similar (or slightly worse) to what the original lens has to offer in its outer image regions. Paired with the higher pixel density of the NEX sensors this will lead to a softer image compared to the full frame equivalent. (I am tempted to use "borders" for this region, but these parts really cover a lot of the image, so "borders" is not appropriate.)
    This is the case for the NEX adapter, the m43 version has much better MTF curves.
    And, of course, having fast wide angles with a softish non-center is better than not having fast wide angles in the fist place.

5. Collapse Details
    Very cool.

6. Collapse Details
    Wonder if they will make one for the Canon mirrorless? But then, Canon would need to bring out a more ambitious mirrorless body this year...

7. Collapse Details
    As they most likely will release a dumb nikon F adapter as well, what would be the smartest for FX and M42 lenses on M43: Metabones Speedbooster Nikon F with F to M42 adapter(won't reach infinity on Nikon FX cameras, not sure if would here) or a Metabones Speedbooster Canon adapter(dumb hopefully) + Canon to F & Canon to M42 ​adapters?

8. Collapse Details
    Are there any wide shot examples from this anywhere?
    Adrian

9. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Sadly I'll have to cross post this info because it's pertinent, but we have like eight different topics on the forums xD

Coming from the Blackmagic Design forums, here is a response form Conurus about the adapter and how it works:

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang
    Quote Originally Posted by conurus
    Hi everyone, this is Bo-Ming Tong of Conurus (who contributed to the electronic portion of the Metabones Speed Booster). If you would allow me to explain the MFT plan...

Passive MFT will be added in March 2013 for Leica R, Alpa, Contax C/Y, Contarex, Rollei and Nikon (including DX and G). An active MFT for Canon EF is planned for the future.

The MFT version maintains the 0.71x crop factor but will have higher optical quality because the optics are covering a smaller image circle now. (Specs are the same across MFT and APS-C, but the optical design is optimized for each format.)

Thanks for the news! Would you be so kind as to comment on my post below that I copied from another thread here so validate or correct my conclusions regarding the use of the MFT adapter on the BMCC MFT camera?

"To summarize the white paper if my understanding of the optics is correct:
    The Metabones focal-reducer on a EF lens-to-MFT mount creates an image circle of about 21.6mm in diameter on a true micro four-thirds sensor with a resulting multiplier of 0.71 affecting the field-of-view on a full-frame 35mm lens, for example, as if it were now a 25mm lens and a full stop faster as long as the wide aperture of the EF lens is about f1.26. Please take a moment to digest that.

Now we are concerned here about the BMCC which as you know has a sensor size smaller than a micro four-thirds sensor. If we take the identical focal-reducer and mount it on the BMCC MFT camera, about 15% of that reduced image circle is lost as the BMCC sensor fits well within the image circle. So we will see the increased centre sharpness and even less of the loss of resolution at the edges and we get the increased brightness of the lens, but we won't quite get back to the field-of -view of a true micro four-thirds sensor. Instead of seeing the FOV of a 25mm lens, our 35mm EF lens will look like a 28mm or 29mm lens! Still amazing.

Please let me know if my reasoning is flawed."

Rick Lang
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    And then--

Quote Originally Posted by conurus
    Hi Rick,

Thank you for your question. Correct me if I am wrong but BMCC has a 2.3x crop factor, which in my opinion is not that far behind the official MFT's 2x. The combined crop factor would have been 1.6, matching a Canon DSLR such as 7D. You could stick a Sigma 8-16 on the combo, and that shoots like a 13-26 in 135 format. BMCC + Speed Booster are already wider and faster than anything before! If, before the Speed Booster, the BMCC had already been a great proposition with the only nitpick being difficult to find wide angles for it, then the advent of Speed Booster completely wipes out that last bit of worry.

Bo-Ming Tong
    Conurus
    Maybe that helps some!
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    I wouldn't expect much from this, in terms of optical quality.

Basically, because if adding a single element behind a given lens was a simple and effective way to make it wider and sharper, lens makers would have already come out with great wide lenses for short-focal-flange mounts.
    I predict that this will be a pretty big deal, that the adapters will produce very high quality images, and that a class of superprimes will be created, like affordable 35/1.0 lenses made from widely available 50/1.4 lenses, and that MFT will get a significant boost in interest owing to the adaptability of non FF zoom lenses, especially the widely available F2.8 zooms which suddenly become sharper, faster and wider.

We have already seen some amazing samples, and we will see more soon enough.
    HD Video: GH5, G85, ax700
    Microphones: Sennheiser MKH 80 MKH20 MKH40
    Neumann 11-pattern dual capsule main pair by Rens Heijnis
    Schoeps MK2, MK2H, MK21, MK41
    own design ribbon mics

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast