Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    FilmConvert and the GH3
    So I'm liking this a lot as a quasi LUT, first step CC when shooting with a flat camera profile.

Of course the only thing is that none of the existing sensor profiles for the GH2 are usable...nor the 5D custom settings.
    It's pretty obvious that their profiling of the GH2 led to a starting point that looks like a full minus green filter on every setting.
    Ironically the GH3 shifts to red if anything, so using a GH2 profile is a pink delight.
    The only thing that works as a starting point for the GH3 is the Generic sRGB profile (the Generic Standard 5D is very similar.)

That said, the Generic sRGB is a good working profile with the GH3 and depending on your choice it's a good start for a quick grade.
    I find KD 5207 Vis3 and FY 8543 VD to be very complimentary to GH3 skin tones and general color, with the main difference being a more open gamma with 8543.
    The FJ 100 stocks also look nice with the GH3.
    So I've asked FilmConvert about a GH3 profile and specifically asked for one around a "true" flat profile with Contrast, Sharpening and ND at the minimums.

IMO, after testing Standard and Natural at both "0" and dialed down, the widest latitude and most natural colors are from Natural with something like a -4 to -5 setting for everything but Saturation.
    If you are going to use FilmConvert then, so far at least, keeping the Saturation at 0 seems to work well.

2. Collapse Details
    thanks for sharing your findings. i just purchased film convert....just waiting for my gh3 now

3. Collapse Details
    I've been messing around with some GH3 footage from vimeo and I've found that the 5D technicolor preset set at around 80% works quite well with standard -5 -5 -5 -5 footage. Here's some examples-

1 ungraded
    2 velvia
    3 KD 5207
    4 magic bullet custom grade

ungraded.jpgvelvia.jpgKD 5207.jpgmagic bullet.jpg
    http://vimeo.com/squig GAMMA The Years of Darkness screenplay Official Selection of 2014 Beverly Hills Film Festival. Filming 2014.

4. Collapse Details
    And some skin tones-

1 ungraded
    2 velvia
    3 KD 5207
    4 KD 5213
    5 magic bullet custom grade

ungraded skin.jpgvelvia skin.jpgKD 5207.jpgKD 5213 skin.jpgmagic bullet skin.jpg
    Last edited by squig; 01-02-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    http://vimeo.com/squig GAMMA The Years of Darkness screenplay Official Selection of 2014 Beverly Hills Film Festival. Filming 2014.

5. Collapse Details
    All the footage I've played around with grades very well. I steered clear of the GH2 because I thought the colours sucked compared to the 5D.

"Do you like dags?"
    Not sure of the camera settings of this one

1 ungraded
    2 KD 5207
    3 magic bullet custom grade

dags ungraded.jpgdags KD 5207.jpgdags magic bullet.jpg

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for posting the neat comparisons, man. I downloaded the huge trial and tried some of your same settings and found the 5D Technicolor preset a little too dark. It really crushed the blacks quite a bit. The sRGB preset did seem to work better, although I also found the GH2 Smooth preset not too bad either.
    I'm not sure this is worth the asking price yet as I've gotten good results just using Premiere's built in tools and some other film look presets. So, looking forward to seeing more stuff about it later on.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
    Thanks for posting the neat comparisons, man. I downloaded the huge trial and tried some of your same settings and found the 5D Technicolor preset a little too dark. It really crushed the blacks quite a bit. The sRGB preset did seem to work better, although I also found the GH2 Smooth preset not too bad either.
    I'm not sure this is worth the asking price yet as I've gotten good results just using Premiere's built in tools and some other film look presets. So, looking forward to seeing more stuff about it later on.
    Did you dial the effect back to under 80%? It does crush the blacks quite a bit which is a very common look in features these days. It's certainly not a look that's right for everything and I'm sure in time they'll put out some GH3 presets. The KD presets are a bit too crushed for my liking with that footage but I think the velvia setting looks great. If your monitor is not well calibrated it could look overly crushed like it does on my macbook pro. I've had some great results with footage from the 5D MKIII too.

8. Collapse Details
    Yeah, man, 80% on the 5D Technicolor. I also tested the GH2 Smooth preset at 100%. Here's some samples from a recent shoot with the GH3 + Voigtlander 25mm using Natural profile. Lemme know which one(s) you prefer as I could always use a 2nd set of eyes.

Original
    5DTech-5207
    5DTech-Velv
    GH2Smooth-5207
    GH2Smooth-Velv

Core-PreFC.jpg

Core-5DTech-5207.jpg

Core-5DTech-Velv.jpg

Core-GH2Smooth-5207.jpg

Core-GH2Smooth-Velv.jpg

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by squig View Post
    All the footage I've played around with grades very well. I steered clear of the GH2 because I thought the colours sucked compared to the 5D.

"Do you like dags?"

dags ungraded.jpgdags KD 5207.jpgdags magic bullet.jpg

I'd better like them - they're my dogs, and it was shot at 50MB Natural -4 -4 -2 -5

FWIW the original is much truer color accuracy.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by squig View Post
    I'm sure in time they'll put out some GH3 presets.
    In a recent email exchange, someone from the company confirmed they are working on many new profiles, including the GH3. We should see more in the first half of 2013, with more film stocks also on the schedule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast