Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH2 shooting 30P in 1080?
    Hi Folks,

Sorry for the dumb question, but I am considering getting a GH2 to complement my AF100. I have several clients who want to shoot 1080p at 30fps and I look at the specs on the GH2 and can't see that it will shoot 30p? Is this true? Is there a work around? Or a hack?

Thanks,

Scott
    Scott Spears
    Emmy Winning Cinematographer
    www.scottspears.net

2. Collapse Details
    That's what HBR does in firmware v1.1 in an NTSC GH2 - gives you 24Mb/s 1920x1080/30P. I use it for all web-destined work and it's perfect.
    Aaron J. Courtney, Partner
    CenterStage Productions, LP
    www.centerstagemedia.com

3. Collapse Details
    HBR mode on the GH2 is a little confusing because it's a progressively-scanned video stream that's encoded within an interlaced AVCHD file. In NTSC mode, the sensor is scanned at 30p, divided into interlaced fields, and encoded in interlaced 60i format. In PAL mode, it's scanned at 25p and encoded in 50i format.

Unlike the AF100, however, the GH2 fails to tag its HBR files with the proper metadata to indicate that they contain a progressive video stream. The GH2's HBR files are formatted exactly the same as its fully interlaced FSH files and there is no explicit way for a video editor to distinguish between them. As a consequence, it's important to verify that HBR files are decoded as progressive streams after importing them into your video editor. For example, in Adobe After Effects, you'd use the Interpret Footage dialog to set Separate Fields OFF. Neglecting to do this will often produce noticeable interlace artifacts your edited footage.

4. Collapse Details
    There's also the VMM mode which shoots 30 FPS (without sound) then plays it back at 24 FPS. That gives higher quality than HBR and is very simple to work with - no flagging issues to deal with.

It's very popular for music video work but doesn't work at all for anything where you need dialog or other sync sound.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lpowell View Post
    HBR mode on the GH2 is a little confusing because it's a progressively-scanned video stream that's encoded within an interlaced AVCHD file. In NTSC mode, the sensor is scanned at 30p, divided into interlaced fields, and encoded in interlaced 60i format. In PAL mode, it's scanned at 25p and encoded in 50i format.

Unlike the AF100, however, the GH2 fails to tag its HBR files with the proper metadata to indicate that they contain a progressive video stream. The GH2's HBR files are formatted exactly the same as its fully interlaced FSH files and there is no explicit way for a video editor to distinguish between them. As a consequence, it's important to verify that HBR files are decoded as progressive streams after importing them into your video editor. For example, in Adobe After Effects, you'd use the Interpret Footage dialog to set Separate Fields OFF. Neglecting to do this will often produce noticeable interlace artifacts your edited footage.
    All the software i use edits and renders Pal 25P HBR fine and look Progressive after and it is BD compatable,the reason the GH3 is not worth it for me at present is because there are no BD compatable Progessive frame rates except 24P which i never use.So it would be back to 50i on BD a downward step for me.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks everybody for the info. I'm downloading the firmware update as I type. I ordered the GH2 and it's on it way!!!

Scott
    Scott Spears
    www.scottspears.net

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by flinty View Post
    All the software i use edits and renders Pal 25P HBR fine and look Progressive after and it is BD compatable
    Blu-ray itself cannot handle 25p, from any camera. (Nor 30p in ATSC countries.) The authoring software will convert it to 25i before burning.

8. Collapse Details
    Uh, that would be 50i not 25i.
    Randy Wheeler

1 GH1, 3 GH2, 2 GH3, 2 GH4, 1 GH5

9. Collapse Details
    So has anyone made a BD from GH3 footage that was not recorded in 50/60i or 24P .

10. Collapse Details
    More dumb questions. Ok, I loaded up Firmware 1.1 and under REC MODE I have:
    AVCHD (1080i)
    AVCHD (720p)
    MOTION JPEG

Then under REC QUALITY there is:
    SH
    H

Am I to assume that under 1080i is the 30p mode because the 'i" confuses me because I thought that meant interlace and not progressive.

Again, sorry for my ignorance, but you'd think they just have something read 30p or 24p and not H or SH or FSH.

Thanks,

Scott
    Scott Spears
    www.scottspears.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast