Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH3 EVF problem - GH3 owners Please Read!
    I received a GH3 from Midwest Camera Exchange, serial number WE2KA001201, this past Thursday, December 20, 2012.

There may be problem with the electronic view finder in the camera I have. The resolution in the EVF is pretty poor, noticeably lower than the GH2. Letters and graphics are clear and sharp, but the live image is so low resolution that I can't trust it to focus. This effects live view and playback.

If you are a having similar or other problems with the EVF please post here, describe the problem and please list your serial number so we can try to determine if this is a problem associated with a range of serial numbers or Panasonic's idea of a usable VF. BTW, resolution is very good on the swing out panel, but no help to those who focus via the view finder.

Those that aren't having a problem and are happy with the performance of the EVF, please post your serial number so that those afflicted with a bad one can help Panasonic determine there is a problem with a particular production run.

Here are some references on the web that I could find:

https://vimeo.com/groups/gh3/forum/topic:257678

https://vimeo.com/55741316 (read on down in the comments)

A thread on a dpreview forum: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50506925

2. Collapse Details
    The optics of the eyepiece are a bit wonky, & prior to recording the EVF's LCD a bit smeary, but cleans up nicely when recording.

For an explanation as to why this happens see the section under "Focusing" on Adam Wilt's Camera Log.

http://provideocoalition.com/awilt/s...ideo_camera/P2
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 12-22-2012 at 12:12 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    My son and I preordered our GH3's through Amazon the first hours they were available. We received them the beginning of December. I noticed the softer EVF immediately. I compared his camera to mine and I swear his was sharper. I think he thought it was all in my head, but I swear there was a difference. His was sharper and not as blurry at the edges. I returned mine a week later and ordered another immediately. Of course now I'll be waiting for six months. I'm hoping if there is a problem then maybe the next production run will make a difference. Oh, by the way, we both have GH2's as well.

4. Collapse Details
    I have a GH3 and I do not like the EVF as well. I never had a GH2 before, but compared to the LCD screen it is not as sharp and the colors are awful. I just 'filmed' my Windows background which has a coloured ring of mainly blue, but also green and purple colors. When looking through the EVF the picture is just completely blue. No gradations whatsoever. It can be used for framing only and maybe some focus double check.

The LCD is much better, but still pretty marginal. I come from a 60D which had a beautiful sharp LCD screen. The GH3's screen is soft by comparison and has trouble with the blacks. When things get a bit dark, there is a green tinge going on in the blacks. I like the camera's output, and that's what it is about, but it is a shame that a camera costing this much is so marginal when it comes to important aspects as the LCD / EVF...

Hope to have a firmware in the near future that improves things.

To be more ontopic: I dont think it is because of a faulty unit. The blurry edges might have to do with micro adjusting, which you can do by turning the little wheel next to the EVF. It is just a el cheapo EVF and thus outputing an el cheapo image.

5. Collapse Details
    Interesting. The EVF is the thing I most wanted an improvement on on the GH lone... so this will likely seal the deal for me, and I'll stick with the GH2s a little longer for smaller cams.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosimo Bullo View Post
    Interesting. The EVF is the thing I most wanted an improvement on on the GH lone... so this will likely seal the deal for me, and I'll stick with the GH2s a little longer for smaller cams.
    Really? Of all the improvements (bitrate, build quality, low light capability, 1080/60P, wifi, better battery), the most you were concerned about was the EVF?

The Nikon/Canon DSLRs don't even have an EVF. I consider it a blessing to have one on such a capable cam. It wouldn't stop me from getting a GH3, that's for sure.

7. Collapse Details
    No, I'm not kidding. I shoot a lot and for an old hand like me, being able to focus live is critical. Cameras used to have, believe it of not, really nice viewfinders! Now the images from the chips and better selection of glass make for a much better image, but considerably worse shooting experience.

Full disclosure. We have other cameras as well, so the the need for the GH3 is possibly lower at the moment as well. I'll plan also on continuing to look at tests and see if my mind gets changed.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stab View Post
    I have a GH3 and I do not like the EVF as well. I never had a GH2 before, but compared to the LCD screen it is not as sharp and the colors are awful. I just 'filmed' my Windows background which has a coloured ring of mainly blue, but also green and purple colors. When looking through the EVF the picture is just completely blue. No gradations whatsoever. It can be used for framing only and maybe some focus double check.

The LCD is much better, but still pretty marginal. I come from a 60D which had a beautiful sharp LCD screen. The GH3's screen is soft by comparison and has trouble with the blacks. When things get a bit dark, there is a green tinge going on in the blacks. I like the camera's output, and that's what it is about, but it is a shame that a camera costing this much is so marginal when it comes to important aspects as the LCD / EVF...

Hope to have a firmware in the near future that improves things.

To be more ontopic: I dont think it is because of a faulty unit. The blurry edges might have to do with micro adjusting, which you can do by turning the little wheel next to the EVF. It is just a el cheapo EVF and thus outputing an el cheapo image.
    60d Lcd is NOT better than GH3, I shot religiously on that camera since it's release. Also 60d body was like $1100 I believe compared to $1300 GH3. Not a big price difference, one thing we all can agree though is the image quality from the Panasonic GH is better.

9. Collapse Details
    This might be a really stupid question, Does the gh3 evf have the little focus slider like the gh2 did? If yes, did it help any to adjust it?

I remember adjusting it on the gh2, and wow, it made all the difference in the world.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the reply Bern. I did read Wilt's mini-review this past week before I received the camera, but I'm not sure I'm seeing what he describes and apparently what you are seeing. When I go into record, the VF sharpness shifts very slightly, nearly imperceptibly. The only substantial change is a color shift toward red/magenta.

Regardless, I still can't see well enough to really focus confidently. If it isn't a faulty unit and this is the way all GH3s are, Panasonic should do something about it, whether it's peaking or changing the signal processing so people can focus the camera.

However, I would certainly say that otherwise, the camera is a definite improvement over the GH2, image and handling wise. Far, far better than the Canon 60D in almost every way.
    Last edited by rosebud; 12-22-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast