Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Panasonic's financial blunder - GH4?
    Reading up on these news today...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...ntenttarget=no

This doesn't look good at all...I'm not saying the name will disappear...but some pathetic merger may happen. It's a sad world. I used to joke about these things but it really seems that this world is going to be left with 1 brand that will produce everything.

This reminds me of hard-drive market 10 years ago and today, when we have 2 brands that supply the world (lol). If Panasonic slides off further down due to these economic times, could that mean that the Lumix brand will be neglected?

I wouldn't be surprised (in that scenario) if Lumix turns to compact, pocket point and shoots for tourists. I could be wrong here, I'm just speculating off the fact that the company got into this situation.

2. Collapse Details
    Panasonic's Financial state has very little to do with the GH3. The GH3 will sell very well. Panasonic's losses stem mostly from its consumer electronics divisions and the increased competition from cheap Chinese electronics.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised (in that scenario) if Lumix turns to compact, pocket point and shoots for tourists. I could be wrong here, I'm just speculating off the fact that the company got into this situation.
    The professional market makes more profit per unit, so I think the opposite will be true. There was a job advert posted on 43 Rumors I think, it was clear Panasonic was moving towards building the management team to enable them to create a support team for the professional market along the lines of Canon’s CPS model.

Panasonic’s losses were in the TV market so if push comes to shove hopefully they’ll just sell off or merge the loss making divisions alone.

I’m very impressed with the GH3, I actually sold my Canon XF300 given the confidence I have in the camera. At last I can photo in the rain with only the worry of my hair getting wet, unlike with the GH2 where I was nervous of damaging it.

4. Collapse Details
    It would be the GH5 anyway for what it's worth...

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_B View Post
    It would be the GH5 anyway for what it's worth...
    LOL, correct, unlucky number 4 doesn't get a show in with the Panasonic range.

6. Collapse Details
    Panny invested heavily in 3-D technology, both cameras and TVs. The general public's absolute disinterest in it, other then for a few big budget movies, has hurt them badly.

Don't know if the GH3 will sell like gangbusters - the hacked GH2 seems to offer almost the same performance (maybe better in some ways) at less then half the price, and true video cameras like the BMC (if it ever comes out in numbers) would seem to be cutting into the prime reason to get the GH3, namely resolution.

Of course, none of the Japanese tech companies seem to be very healthy right now.
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jdv View Post
    Panny invested heavily in 3-D technology, both cameras and TVs. The general public's absolute disinterest in it, other then for a few big budget movies, has hurt them badly.

Don't know if the GH3 will sell like gangbusters - the hacked GH2 seems to offer almost the same performance (maybe better in some ways) at less then half the price, and true video cameras like the BMC (if it ever comes out in numbers) would seem to be cutting into the prime reason to get the GH3, namely resolution.

Of course, none of the Japanese tech companies seem to be very healthy right now.
    What makes you think they are going to continue manufacturing the Gh2? ANd why would the BMC cut into the Gh3 sales? One is a stills camera with video mode and one is a Cinema video cam. One is shipping in hordes and one isn't shipping at all. One is a consumer product and the other is a entry level cinema cam. One costs basically nothing to operate and edit and the other requires another $6,000 just to have a BASIC system. ANd like I said, one is shipping the other is VERY VERY LATE.

8. Collapse Details
    Personally I feel the world is starting to hit a quality peak. First we saw it with big screen TV's. The jump from old CRT TV's and digital TV's got everybody excited and wanted to buy the new cool thing. It was a pretty huge jump in terms of quality. Now what is so exciting to make somebody upgrade from a 42" LCD TV to another 42" LCD TV? 3D? 120hz? These are mostly marketing gimmicks and electronic companies no longer have that desired quality jump consumers would like to see from an upgrade. I'm not saying all 42" TVs are equal but that it is harder for a average consumer to tell the difference. Honestly with the way Best Buy hooks up their TV's I'm shocked anybody would walk out of that store with a new TV.

Cameras are sort of the same situation. We started off the digital age with DV cameras which was exciting. Then we took a massive jump up to HDV which was equally exciting. Next we had the DSLR revolution which was another massive jump in the kind of productions we could shoot. What is that next step? A little bit more detail or dynamic range? These are very incremental updates now and I doubt anybody is going to rush out and replace their cameras for an incremental upgrade. Some of us will but not everybody will.

It really makes sense why electronic companies are struggling. They had a massive boost with the birth of the digital age but now that they saturated the market they no longer have that wow factor. 3D was supposed to be it but it is going to be hard to replicate the expansion of switching from an analog world to a digital world. Even 4k would have a ehhhh effect on most consumers. Perhaps companies should have eased people into this technology slower. Then maybe they could have sustained their sales a bit better and longer.

9. Collapse Details
    The article said Panny might sell one building. Nothing about mergers or buyouts. A building.

Not a big deal, I think.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    ...What is that next step? A little bit more detail or dynamic range? These are very incremental updates now and I doubt anybody is going to rush out and replace their cameras for an incremental upgrade. Some of us will but not everybody will.
    While I agree with the general premise of your post, I take exception with this oft repeated comment. I don't have a GH3 yet, but I will and for numerous reasons that don't have everything to do with IQ, although the apparent increase is welcome. The camera AS A WHOLE is not a mere incremental update. It is a major improvements all around with the better IQ being icing on the cake (and of course a necessary consideration).

Now, whether those functional and construction improvements are important to some I can't tell. If IQ is the only consideration, then perhaps not. But the GH3 is not an incremental update.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast