Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Canon C300 Firmware fix for Color Fringing
    If you're currently experiencing the the color fringing issue across high-contrast edges, you may not have the latest firmware (v. 1.0.7.1.00) from Canon. Apparently it isn't available for download and is currently only being installed on cams that are sent in for service.

Here's a quote from another forum post on the subject:

"I recently had this issue whilst shooting a sunset across some mountains. It resulted in red/green - lines/pixels across the high contrast part of the image where the sun dipped behind the mountains. I sent the camera back to Canon complaining of this issue along with another problem that I was experiencing with the camera. To cut a long story short I ended up with a new camera along with a firmware upgrade 1.0.7.1.00 which apparently deals with the fringing issue. Can't guarantee 100% but had no problems since and have tried to recreate with other high contrast scenes!"

And later:

"Talked with Canon Cinema Eos tech support about firmware upgrade 1.0.7.1.00 earlier today. According to the rep, the firmware does address the color fringing issue and a some other minor (from my point of view) issues. Apparently Canon does not consider it a major firmware upgrade, as they are not announcing it. The firmware is not posted on the web because, at this point, the firmware upgrade can only be done by sending the camera in to Canon service."

I'm currently running 1.0.7.1.00 on my C300, which they may have installed when my cam was in for a cleaning and service a few weeks ago. I haven't noticed any fringing for a while, but I haven't really been looking for it either. I usually expose very carefully and got in the habit of avoiding shots that exacerbate the issue.

What firmware are you running, and are you noticing any color fringing on your C300?
    Cinematographer | Camera Op | Occasional Director
    IATSE Local 600

Twitter: @BrianCWeed

2. Collapse Details
    Wow, thanks for that post. I have 1.0.6.1.00
    Will give Canon in NJ a call and see if I can send the camera in for the firmware upgrade.

3. Collapse Details
    Brian Canon likes you. They told me the 1.0.7 does not exist.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
    Paul, you're going to have to push your tech support person to try a little harder. Brian's quote refers to a call I made a few days ago, and, in response to your post, I called again today. Luckily they had a record of my earlier call and were able to re-confirm the existence of firmware 1.0.7.1.00. I used the Canon Cinema Eos Support line (855) 246-3367.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
    Amazing considering that it's the firmware installed on my camera right now! I suspect you'll have to push a little harder as redhouse suggested. It certainly exists even though it hasnt been made public for whatever reason yet. Thanks for chiming in redhouse!
    IATSE Local 600

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys I will push harder, don't see the reason for them to hide it.

7. Collapse Details
    You have to take your camera to Canon for firmware upgrades? Bummer. This should be user upgradable.
    FOR SALE - Sennheiser Evolution G2 Wireless

My Videos On Vimeo
    http://www.vimeo.com/eriknaso
    Twitter: ErikNaso
    Blog www.eriknaso.com
    Cams: C100, C300, GH4, A7s & anything else I can get my hands on.
    Lenses: More than my wife knows. ssshhh....

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Naso View Post
    You have to take your camera to Canon for firmware upgrades? Bummer. This should be user upgradable.
    Not usually, actually. This one is apparently not publicly released likely b/c they don't consider it a major upgrade (although some may differ). Its features will likely be integrated in a major firmware that is forthcoming in the near future.
    IATSE Local 600

9. Collapse Details
    Canon put 1.07.1.00 into my C300 PL on November 2, when it was in for a $359.00 cleaning. This update should be available on their site as a free download. The problem is that Japanese camera makers historically don't like to admit to a problem and coming out with a fix makes them admit that the problem existed. "Secret" firmware updates that Canon technical assistance people won't always admit exist is unacceptable.

The other problem is that dust is getting into the optical path of the cameras and this is not fixable via firmware, obviously.

We need a comprehensive new firmware update(simple things like no zebras below 70% after a camera has been out for a year is not acceptable), free cleanings during warranty period and better transparency from Canon, overall. The $999.00 per year CSP service contract should not be necessary to purchase for a $16,000 camera, especially during factory warranty period, IMO.

Jeff Regan
    SHOOTING STAR VIDEO

www.ssv.com

New: Canon C300 PL, Panasonic HPX255 cameras, Canon CN-E 30-105mm, RED 17-50mm, AllStar 80-200mm, GL 11-16mm, 18-35 Cine zooms, AllStar 50mm, RED 85mm primes.

Panasonic HPX2700 P2 Varicam,
    Sony EX1, HXC-100K cameras, Arri, Chrosziel, Elements, Sachtler, Zacuto support, FSI, Leader, Panasonic, TV Logic HD LCD monitors, MYT Works 4' slider, Arri, LTM Pepper, Chimera, Kino Flo, F&V lighting. HD Fly Pack with Panasonic HS410 switcher.

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpunk52 View Post
    This one is apparently not publicly released likely b/c they don't consider it a major upgrade (although some may differ). Its features will likely be integrated in a major firmware that is forthcoming in the near future.
    I've had this happen to me with other products in the past. Given a "secret" firmware that was eventually incorporated into a newer one that was released publicly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast