Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sony F5/F55 Footage
    First official F55 sample movie just hit the web:

Frame grabs from the Film and Digital Times PDF covering exclusively the F5/F55:

Disclaimer: I realize this may need to be moved over to the "F3 Footage/Grabs" section.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stranden; 11-27-2012 at 03:53 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Not bad, not bad. Much better looking (technically speaking) than some of the 1st F3 stuff that hit the web.

Even that "4K" is so heavily compressed it decomposes into worse than 1080p in places. Yoikes. I hope Youtube's "4K" bitrates have nothing to do with the coming bitrates used for broadcast 4K.

3. Collapse Details
    Sorry but it really doesn't impress me and too bad this is the "first" clip to hit the web and leave people with any first impression. This could have been shot with nearly any camera, even the F3.. but having said that without any detailed information about the shoot it is difficult to know how much the final look might have been achieved through post.

Hopefully far better clips will surface than this.

1/5
    Dennis Hingsberg

4. Collapse Details
    I don't know about you, but if this is really the 4k F55, Sony shouldn't have release this crapy video.
    My 2

God Bless,
    Douglas Villalba
    Miami, Florida
    786-897-0176

5. Collapse Details
    Douglas, Dennis, find the highest res computer monitor you can find, something higher than 1080p, and watch the "original" (4K) resolution version. Will also need a pretty new computer.

Not something just any camera can do, if you watch that. Doing the above on my Apple 27" (2560x1600), its pretty clear in some shots there's much higher than 1080p resolution.
    Last edited by Nate Weaver; 11-26-2012 at 05:09 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Ugh.
    Richard Allen Crook
    Filmmaker
    www.crookedpathfilms.com

7. Collapse Details
    I'm sure the rez is great, but the video itself isn't flattering to any camera, let alone the F's.

I'm sure the video was just meant to show the rez and slow mo but c'mon, an opening shot using 3 stops of dynamic range?
    Dennis Hingsberg

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
    Douglas, Dennis, find the highest res computer monitor you can find, something higher than 1080p, and watch the "original" (4K) resolution version. Will also need a pretty new computer.

Not something just any camera can do, if you watch that. Doing the above on my Apple 27" (2560x1600), its pretty clear in some shots there's much higher than 1080p resolution.
    I first saw it at 720 out of the 1080p version. The Original wasn't available at the time. I now saw it at the Original res on my 8 core with the 27" and no change other than a bigger screen size.
    I just think that for the first released footage if I was Sony I would have wanted a better first release. I have seen better footage out of the F3. Why would I want to move to the F55 if that is what you get?

Edit: I just saw Dennis's post. I don't think it was 3 stops I just think that it was purposely finished flat and muted. Really dead to my Miami taste.
    Last edited by Douglas Villalba; 11-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.

God Bless,
    Douglas Villalba
    Miami, Florida
    786-897-0176

9. Collapse Details
    I withhold judgment until I see it on a 4K projector. A little flat for my NY taste. But it played nicely on my MacPro with lots of FiOS bandwidth. I wouldn't base purchase decision on a 1:20 YouTube clip.

Ned

10. Collapse Details
    I didn't really mind it, but it's a strange choice of a footage to showcase the F55's abilities. There's basically four things we want to see in sample footage - shots highlighting movement (to show off the motion characteristics of the global shutter), shots with lots of detail and a deep depth of field (to highlight resolution), high contrast scenes to showcase dynamic range, and low-light scenes to showcase the camera's sensitivity.

Then again, perhaps there's a benefit to this footage as well - it should show you that for many scenarios you can still get equally nice images out of your rusty old F3.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast