Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The GH3: The advances continue!
    I sat down today to do some research and was truly amazed by what I had found. That for $1299, a person can order the 2nd most advanced *DSLR video camera in the world. I'm conceding that 1st place goes to the $12,999 (price at B and H) 1DC. Emphasis on video
    I am basing the word advanced on the video specs they offer, not subjective IQ....because many would argue in favor of the MK2/MK3, Nikon D800 and many other cameras based upon that alone. No other video/stills camera offers 1920x1080@60P (along with a huge selection of other frame rates and qualities) AND a *very robust ALL I codec other than the 1DC. The MK3 only goes to 30P. The D800 only goes to 30p and doesn't offer an ALL I option. By formats alone, the 1DC only has one that the GH3 doesn't offer- of course it's a big one: 4K recording at 24P. The 1DC also has the flexibility to record what is essentially vista vision OR super35 in full hd.
    Both cameras have the ALL I options, time code, headphone jacks, external audio options, magnesium alloy construction, weather sealing, etc. The GH3 even has 2 things in it's favor for filming in cramped spaces or situations where one cannot have a bigger set up- A working view finder and an articulating screen.
    The point that I am making is not to fault Canon or any other company (lord knows that the 1DC will be a low light/dynamic range king) but to give kudos to the Panasonic consumer division for really advancing the game. I urge them to continue with this gem known as the GH series on to 4K and beyond!

*I realize the GH3 isn't technically a DSLR
    *According to the always reliable Phillip Bloom

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    On paper nothing means anything........ Let's wait till the camera is out, then hacked. That's what we will know what can/cannot be done.

3. Collapse Details
    The GH3 isn't a DSLR? Huh...

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleProhaska View Post
    The GH3 isn't a DSLR? Huh...
    Digital single-lens reflex involves a mirror that is used to reflect the image coming in from the lens onto the viewfinder. The GH series has no mirror.

5. Collapse Details
    From the early samples, Gh3 has visibly better DR than the Gh2, not a huge difference, but noticable. May be some minor issues with video aliasing due to the higher stills resolution and less aggressive OLPF, but so far it is looking very good, certainly as good as anything else in its price range. Weather proofing alone is worth the upgrade to me. The GH3 is on my Christmas shopping list for now. I am not buying another camera, still or video, that isn't reasonably well weatherized out of the box.
    We will see how well it fares with the final release software, but I am not sure it would be worth the risk of hacking it for most since it does have two different high bit rate codecs, including an I-frame version.
    Last edited by Razz16mm; 11-12-2012 at 03:48 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Specs may mean "nothing" on paper but if the quality of the GH2 gives us any sort of indication, the GH3 will be incredible. There is one spec though that DOES mean a lot; that's the 72mb/s i-frame H.264 recording and 1080/60p (50mb/s i-frame H.264) is just the sweet sweet frosting on top. That alone makes this camer "better" than a C300 in my opinion since all of the magic in film occurs in post-production anyway. Now we can should this video far more than we ever could with the GH2.

We've already pre-ordered a GH3, 35-100 lens and DP7-High Bright field monitor in prep for assuming this will be our new B-cam for filming pretty much everything. Depending on how good it looks after grading, it might actually become our A-cam Crazy world.
    Brent Miller Jr.
    Executive Director, Ingenuity Films LLC
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

Coming Soon From Ingenuity Films:

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpfiction007 View Post
    not subjective IQ....because many would argue in favor of the MK2/MK3, Nikon D800 and many other cameras based upon that alone.

I would argue those people haven't seen the IQ from a hacked GH2.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    I would argue those people haven't seen the IQ from a hacked GH2.
    Maybe those people just prefer garish orange-yellow skin tones?

9. Collapse Details
    You would not be able to tell the difference between the GH2 and GH3 if they weren't labeled, unless you were looking for moiree. You can great a great deal on a GH2 right now and have a great camera.
    HD Video: GH5, G85, ax700
    Microphones: Sennheiser MKH 80 MKH20 MKH40
    Neumann 11-pattern dual capsule main pair by Rens Heijnis
    Schoeps MK2, MK2H, MK21, MK41
    own design ribbon mics

10. Collapse Details
    The GH3 has me thinking! I just got the 35-100 and it's a keeper! No iris flick on the GH2 when zooming. OIS is rock solid. pair this with the 12-35 and I now have a nice kit. Heck this might end up being my A cam!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast