See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    DannayZay's daylight test video sure has impressed the heck out of me:

Canon Vixia HF G10. PANASONIC AG-AC130 . PANASONIC GH2 AND GH3 . Nikon D600. Adobe Premier Pro CS 6
    Canon Directional Stereo Microphone DM100 . RODE VIDEOMIC PRO . AUDIO-TECHNICA BP4029 STEREO SHOTGUN MICROPHONE

2. Collapse Details
    Here is an interesting indoor video, apparently using the Intelligent Auto feature:

Canon Vixia HF G10. PANASONIC AG-AC130 . PANASONIC GH2 AND GH3 . Nikon D600. Adobe Premier Pro CS 6
    Canon Directional Stereo Microphone DM100 . RODE VIDEOMIC PRO . AUDIO-TECHNICA BP4029 STEREO SHOTGUN MICROPHONE

3. Collapse Details
    Here is an extreme low light test video. First, with just a few candles providing illumination. Then, with just a single 50 W Light.

4. Collapse Details
    Here is another new video, although this one is a bit bizarre. Not sure how to describe or explain this sample:

5. Collapse Details
    I would like to see a side by side footage of a HMC-150 or ac130 with this camera. I want to know if the the footage from a HMC150 would match up close with the 90. Also, for autofocus, what do you see on the screen, is there a box or crosshairs, so I can know my focus boundaries.
    So I assume we can use this camera for professional work. And down sides to this camera? I need it to match the low light quality of the HMC150 also.
    I do a lot of run and gun type shooting sometimes, so it looks like the auto mode is good.
    Also, is Berry going to write a book on this camera?

6. Collapse Details
    There are no crosshairs or boundaries for the autofocus area.

It's nowhere near as sensitive in terms of raw sensitivity, as compared to an HMC150. The HMC150 is basically 500 ISO, the AC90 is 40 ISO. You'd need about 21dB of gain to get it to the same brightness level as the HMC150 at 0dB. The gain is much cleaner in the AC90 than in the HMC150, so you could maybe do that in a practical scene, but if you rely on 12 or 18db of gain on the HMC150, the AC90 just can't get there.

As a tradeoff, the AC90 image is simply much sharper than the HMC150.

Downsides? Sensitivity is the main one -- if you need more sensitivity, you need a more expensive camera, the AC130 is about $1500 more and is much more sensitive. The AC90 is under $2,000 after all. And there are some things the AC90 just doesn't do -- 720p for example, or variable frame rates, or magnified focus assist. It doesn't have a waveform monitor, it only has a histogram. And its ND filter isn't strong enough, you really need to add a 2-stop or 3-stop ND filter to shoot in broad daylight. But it's under $2,000. $2,000! And it's hyper crisp, the spatial-offset pixel shift from true 1080p chips creates a 4k image that they then down convert to 1080p (including full 1080/60p). It's sharper than many cameras that cost much more. It is a great size, feels great in the hand, its optical image stabilizer is vastly more effective than any camera they've ever produced before, its automatic functions are hugely powerful as compared to any other Panasonic pro camcorder... it's really a bit of a different direction for them in some ways. It's inherited technology that was pioneered in the consumer realm (things like face detection, or scene detection so it knows whether it's looking at a landscape or a portrait, a night scene or a day scene, and can adapt accordingly).

And yes, I'm doing "The AC90 Book", it'll probably be available some time next month.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    And there are some things the AC90 just doesn't do -- 720p for example, or variable frame rates, or magnified focus assist.
    It actually does have magnified focus assist, you can assign it to one of the programmable switches, and toggle through 2x, 5x and 10x magnifications. Now I had assumed this was for focusing, did not occur to me it might actually record the magnified image. Did not try that.

Edit:

It's call D.ZOOM, and it does record, so I guess it's intent was not as a magnified focus assist primarily, but you can use it that way. Just assign it to one of the programmable switches.

8. Collapse Details
    More indoor footage shot at a trade show. This is really looking promising.

9. Collapse Details
    Ok , reasonable shots, but what criteria are you using to determine "really promising?" Lighting is good- any decent VC could have taken what I am seeing here in HD. I am also interested in this camera but I am missing the "promising" bit so far. I understand that the tidy resolution is pretty much up there when cranking up gain, but on my screens , what I am seeing here is average.

I must say though, this appears to be terrific value for money and might suit for Steadicam work because of its rapid focus( my interest). No 720/p is a bit of a blow though. I have recently shifted from 1080i to 720p and am really liking the more sort of waxen film-like qualiy- ( and I really didn't think I would!)- ho hum,so many choices!

Cheers!
    Rod
    Rod Pike
    Panasonic af102- lumix 12-35mm f2.8- lumix 35-100mm f2.8- Panasonic ac160A
    www.voxvideoproductions.co.nz
    A set of high quality paint brushes don't make you Rembrandt!

10. Collapse Details
    Hi Rod

It's tough to see a result on an online clip!! The camera seems to do pretty well too in various lighting situations. One thing I found when I had the AC-130's was my video completely lacked any "WOW" factor!! OK I'm using HMC82's but rip the camera to sheds all you like but sheesh it has unbelieveable WOW factor ..the image sparkles and jumps out at you!! I leave my scene files all at default ...every parameter is set to zero yet the colour saturation and depth is outstanding...on the 130 with the default F1 scene file is was so flat and dull that I couldn't believe it!! The end result just didn't do it for me?? The only way I will find out if the AC-90 has the WOW factor that my current cameras have is to buy one!! Sure the exposure and low light on all these clips is impressive but they still don't scream "buy me" at this stage!! What do you call really promising??

Chris

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast