Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I was in a Sony store a few weeks ago, watched the new 84" 4K flat panel. I had that same feeling the first time I saw HD, then realized it wouldn't
    be long before it was just another format. Not really impressed. The flat panel was listed at 25K. Sony played the same little tricks Red did, by showing how "small" 1080p is compared to 4K (UltraHD).
    The only thing that might make this at all possible is the adoption of something like Red Code for distribution. A few years ago they were projecting 4K content at well under 20mb per second. Red has had 3 years to perfect it. But at the current cost of 4K displays, still not going to get traction.

2. Collapse Details
    Ha ha...I still watch on a 720P TV. From the distance I sit... even 1080 makes no difference. Add to that, most programs aren't even up to the quality my television is capable of. 4k/ultrahd is a buzzword that is a long ways off from consumers wanting to scrap their HD sets (even though it will be desired by professionals for creation of content)

3. Collapse Details
    I agree it is all part of a plan to sell to a market already content with their viewing tech, but I do not agree that it won't make a difference in the home between 4k and 1080 or 10k whatever.

I love movies I love content I want to see it in the best quality possible, I don't care how I don't care when, But when it's affordable and here I'm gonna be all over it. My eye's can resolve a whole lot more than a 1080 42" square of my books way across from me right now, and no screen could represent that, that I have seen at this point. So yes I welcome higher content and applaud those who will be foolish or rich enough to grab up these 25k screens thus paying for the development of the cheaper one's I will be buying in a decade or so... hopefully sooner.

Happy clear and vivid viewing!
    Stephen Matthews
    "I do not want my success in life to rely on the suffering of others"
    -V.T.S.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Piolet View Post
    There might be some hope that Sony will keep the price "affordable." According to FDTimes, F3 sales may have approached six figures worldwide. If true, sales would have approached $1 billion or more. That's a heck of a lot of cameras and money. So if Sony is now comfortable with how big this market can be, they might be willing to set a lower price and go for more volume.

Source: http://www.fdtimes.com/2012/10/30/sony-f55-and-f5/
    The problem is that the pro market isn't about low margin x volume. It is about maintaining margin and allowing the pros to duke it out amongst themselves until they realize that their work and therefore their jobs depend on paying the price for these specialized products/solutions.

5. Collapse Details
    Crook quoted, "They should DEFINITELY offer a credit for those who spent 3k on s-log. "
    I'm with you on this, but they won't. Imagine if they offered a similar "reward" to those who drank the Sony Koolaid like Red did with their early customers?

How many F3/SLOG owners would rush to the table to get FIRST DIBS on an F55 with half the price-tag of a retail unit?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingTheCandy View Post
    Crook quoted, "They should DEFINITELY offer a credit for those who spent 3k on s-log. "
    I'm with you on this, but they won't. Imagine if they offered a similar "reward" to those who drank the Sony Koolaid like Red did with their early customers?

How many F3/SLOG owners would rush to the table to get FIRST DIBS on an F55 with half the price-tag of a retail unit?
    Half the price tag is a wee bit of an exageration. From the European price post we might be looking at $19k MSRP on the F5. It wouldn't kill them to give a credit between $1k and $3k for those that bought S-Log at retail. For me it would restore my faith in Sony.
    FOR SALE: Red 18-50 zoom htp://tinyurl.com/pnnwlwm ; Zeiss PL Primes http://tinyurl.com/krzr895

7. Collapse Details
    I do not want to re-open the S-Log thingy, but, as I think had been pointed out on another thread, just imagine being an Epic owner 2 days outside of your 30-day protection period. Your $34K amortization basis is now reduced to $19K.

The simple fact is that market conditions force price changes. I suspect that's one of the reasons behind Sony waiting to announce F5/55 pricing.

Who knows? After Sony pricing, Jannard might decide he found an even cheaper way of producing Red's and drop the price further. Or Blackmagic could buy Red and Avid, bundling Symphony, Resolve and UltraScope with an Epic for $995. The simple fact is that we just don't know where markets will lead.

Sorry about rant.

And my electricity is back.

Ned

8. Collapse Details
    Baltimore USA & Villefranche de Rouergue, France
    Quote Originally Posted by nsoltz View Post
    I do not want to re-open the S-Log thingy, but, as I think had been pointed out on another thread, just imagine being an Epic owner 2 days outside of your 30-day protection period. Your $34K amortization basis is now reduced to $19K.

The simple fact is that market conditions force price changes. I suspect that's one of the reasons behind Sony waiting to announce F5/55 pricing.

Who knows? After Sony pricing, Jannard might decide he found an even cheaper way of producing Red's and drop the price further. Or Blackmagic could buy Red and Avid, bundling Symphony, Resolve and UltraScope with an Epic for $995. The simple fact is that we just don't know where markets will lead.

Sorry about rant.

And my electricity is back.

Ned
    Interesting "rants" are good Ned.....No apologies required.
    Happy you have power back now.

9. Collapse Details
    Yes, Peter. Electricity returned yesterday evening in time for another east coast nor'easter expected Wed-Thursday.

Already getting quotes on whole-house generators!

Ned

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nsoltz View Post

Sorry about rant.

Ned
    LOL. Don't know why but that brightened my day. Well, it would really brighten my day to have the resolve/syphony epic bundle, I'll take 20! And after all it's all about who has the largest buyers market anyway like Apple knows...might as well give all those hyped-up DSLR Red thingies away at $600 a pop so that tons of newly "Pro"-knighted college kids buy 'em en mass..

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast