1. Collapse Details
    FROM VERSION 4xx TO NEO 3.5??
    Having used EDIUS v4 for a few weddings, I now use it for my home videos. My DVC system includes NX. Yes, over-kill. I'm sure it is general knowledge that v4 was not particularly good for Burning to Disc from the timeline. I used another encoder with an authoring program and made ISO files and IMGBURN to well, Burn.

I cannot justify paying big money to move to Ediuis 6.5. However, I notice that there is NEO 3.5 which I think will do all that I will ever need. Can anyone advise me?

Also, if I understand correctly, from ANTON's site, it appears that he is saying that from v5 onwards, Edius BURN TO DISC from the TIMELINE has come of age. To the point that external programes are not required. Alright, if someone required more in the way of menus etc., then an external Authoring program will be required - however, am I correct in thinking that the encoding is improved to the point that a good DVD copy is assured (SD PAL) in my example?

If so, the cost of NEO would be offset in purchasing a Authoring program and I would be up to date.

Many thanks.

Martin

2. Collapse Details
    Hope I am able to help you , I still use 4.5 on some of my older PC's , only switch to 6 about a yr ago. you will fined giong to Neo a bit lacking in features after using 4.5. The best way to go is the following, Go to Anton's site read about the converting with VirtualDUB. Also the DVD side is lacking in EDIUS, I stopped using it due to it been so basic and problematic in 4 and 5. I found that useing TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4: http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw5.html which works great with Edius

3. Collapse Details
    Gavin Thank you - I have been quite surprised by the lack of response, particularly on GV Edius forum.

I have just spoken to my original bespoke supplier - I now learnt that both NEO and 6.5 require a further cost for Win 7 and a complete reinstall.
    With NEO I also lose my NX! Not that I can remember when I last used it.

My only other option is to enquire if anyone has Edius 5 on the shelf or someone willing to sell it on.

I will download a trial of TAW5 which I had been looking at. It's just that $100 in pounds could have gone towards upgrading Edius.

Many thanks
    Martin

4. Collapse Details
    Hi Martin , GV forum members tend not to be interested with your type of request, Anton and Jerry I found to be the best help.
    I would stay away from 5 It was not the best GV made, I gave it a miss and stayed with 4.5 and then bought 6 on a cross-grade . The 2 features i use the most in the lay-outer tool and the masking filter, the masking filter is a eazy to use and great alturnet to AE , Lay-outer tool is great for cropping and Ken Burns with no lose. If I were you there are 2 options to upgrade, one is a cross grade from any other program like adobe, FCP or Video Vegas, or buying Edius over E bay. I have a contact in Switzerland who I buy my edius programs the local supplier is less than use less to say the least. Be aware that even though 5 and 6 can work on old pc's they are tend to be slow, enough ting like adobe Pro 5 or 6. I found that 6 worked fine on my old Quad core , with HDV but anything higher it took strain, Only after I upgrade my PC to a i7 did edius come alive and work very well. How much work do you do, what why do you need to upgrade? There are other options than edius if you want to edit other formats with out breaking the bank. Have a look at the Coral Video studio x5 Ultimate .
    please feel free to contact anytime if you need any info .
    I am on GV forum user name IngweSA

5. Collapse Details
    Thank you Gavin. I would like to send you a private msg via the GV Edius forum. Could I ask you to read Anton's reply to my thread on that Edius forum.

Martin

6. Collapse Details
    Martin No problem, PM me your users name on GV edius forum

7. Collapse Details
    Hi Martin I found your post on GV forum and read throught it , I would say the following , To upgrade to higher version of Edius , it will not just cost you the program but and hardware upgrade and OS, If were you is stay with Edius 4.5 and get TWA5.
    I still use 4.5 on my laptop and 3.5 on my very old DVstorm2 system , which is in daily use. If you are not activly making money on a daily bases then stay with 4.5 , TWA and there other other products work hand in hand with Canopus products.
    Just my 2 cents