Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    JVC HM600 vs. Panasonic AC160A, etc.
    Looks like JVC is about to release a great low light (F11/F12 at 2000 lux) 1/3" chip, 35mbps cam with a 23x zoom into the market at a little less than the cost of an AC160A. Besides the lack of 1080p60, this camera seems to stack up very well, if not better than Panasonic's 1/3" cams.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Camcorder.html

Initial Reviews look very good!...Just wish it had 1080p60...c'mon JVC! Throw that in a firmware update when using AVCHD and it'll turn heads for sure.

http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2012/10/2...-jvc-gy-hm600/

Wonder what Panny has in store for 2013 cuz their 2012 was bleak.
    Last edited by The Irish TRex; 10-24-2012 at 08:10 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Found this. I really like the looks of the lens. Seems a lot like an ENG fujinon lens. You can be blind and know exactly which ring you're touching.

For Sale:
    JVC GY-HM700U 100 fan hours, perfect working condition $3500 plus shipping (USA sale only) PM me for pictures or more info.

3. Collapse Details
    It also has some amazing features like limits on the iris so you can set the iris to run just between F2.8 and F5.6!! You can also set the shutter to auto so you can shoot without having to use ND filters ..but there are there!! You can also set the AGC levels too for audio so you decide where it must limit. Quite brilliant!!

Chris

4. Collapse Details
    Now this looks like something very special!

Time and early adopters will tell I'm sure. But on the initial viewing I like this very much. Hopefully there will be a section developed for it on DVX user. We will soon see how 23x lenses can or can't perform.
    Rod Pike
    Panasonic af102- lumix 12-35mm f2.8- lumix 35-100mm f2.8- Lumix 14-140 f4-5.6- also Panasonic ac160A
    www.voxvideoproductions.co.nz
    A set of high quality paint brushes don't make you Rembrandt!

5. Collapse Details
    Hey Rod

Do you really need a 23X zoom??? Quite a nice camera will be the new Sony NEXEA50... Big sensor for the DSLR shooters (16 megapixels) and a servo zoom 18-200 for the video guys who still want power zoom ...With e-Mount lenses you can shoot outdoors with the zoom and then drop to a say 50mm F1.4 or 1.8 indoors for good low light. What I like of course is the fact it's a dual mount camera..the shoulder pad slides in under the base for handheld and clicks backwards for a shoulder mount...The LCD comes with an EVF loupe which you can unclip too so you have LCD/EVF all in one. I'm a bit biased of course cos I love shoulder-mount cameras and interchangeable lenses are useful for tricky shoots!! The HM600 is nice is most respects BUT it's not a shoulder mount so for me that means rigs and loupes!!

Chris

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHarding View Post
    Do you really need a 23X zoom???
    I know I do. I need the longest reach possible for wildlife.

7. Collapse Details
    hi Chris,
    No, to be honest 23x zoom has no use for my sort of work at all. I was more curious about how it would perform given that Panasonic have told us that the slow function of the 130/160 lens is due to the laws of physics. So just curious.
    And yes the Sony looks good but no ND's - Hmmm. But I grew up with shoulder mounts and the new" form factor" ( used to be called shape) I find quite frankly, quite awkward to use. (but shoot mainly tripod these days anyway) SO the JVC with the form factor of the Sony EA 50, with the ND's of the 160 would be a very nice piece of kit indeed!
    Santa, are you listening???
    Rod Pike
    Panasonic af102- lumix 12-35mm f2.8- lumix 35-100mm f2.8- Lumix 14-140 f4-5.6- also Panasonic ac160A
    www.voxvideoproductions.co.nz
    A set of high quality paint brushes don't make you Rembrandt!

8. Collapse Details
    Hi Rod

Shoulder mounts are becoming harder to find ..I guess the models introduced are based on what consumers want...Sony are the only ones so far who have introduced a shoulder mount format ... Nothing from anyone else so they are hard to find. Yeah the 130/160 body is very awkward to hand hold so I had to build a rig for it. The new Sony doesn't look as well balanced as the HM750 and I'm still not too sure about using big sensors...focus will be a lot more critical!! It still has some nice advantages for low light as you can snap on any lens really that's an eMount ... The JVC 600 doesn't have ND's either??? It could be a nice camera for Mike too as you could use huge zooms on it if required.
    I do like the AC-90 but I'm still worried over a few issues that the 130 had that may have been used in the 90 and people seem to be avoiding my post about it. I don't think there is an ideal camera ..not even close to one so it's basically getting something that has the easiest workarounds for things you don't like and buy it.

It would be nice if Santa actually did listen!!!

Chris

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHarding View Post
    I'm still not too sure about using big sensors...focus will be a lot more critical!!
    That's my main concern with large sensor cameras. The other issues for me are that I will often need to change focal length quite drastically in no time and certainly wouldn't have time to fit a different lens, especially when I'm out in the rain or searing heat (like I was yesterday). Plus, I need a decent lens hood which would probably mean rails and that makes the camera even more bulky and difficult to handle. Ideally, something like the cameras I used to use years ago, 3/4" with a sports zoom that has a switchable 2x teleconvertor, but a system based on that would cost upwards of $60K

I don't think there is an ideal camera ..not even close to one
    Exactly!
    Last edited by Mike Warren; 11-18-2012 at 02:22 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    I find it absurd that any manufacturer trying to compete in todays market would leave out 1080 60p when the majority of consumer cams have it, and have for several years. It really is a deal breaker for me as im looking for something to replace my xha1's. The panisonics just look way to videoish for my taste. What a shame, this camera had so much potential. I checked out some vids on youtube, and was impressed with the images. The low light ability of this 1/3rd in chip cam is fantasticly clean. bummer, i'm just tired on making comprimises when purchasing cameras these days. I guess I will just keep the a1's and record component out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast