Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    The juicedlink uses one 9v battery and lasts hours, (didn't count yet...)

2. Collapse Details
    I wanted to ask you if that's with phantom powering any mikes but I know see the Juicedlink you use doesn't have XLR connectors. Maybe your set-up works fine but normally usage of non-XLR mikes/cables isn't recommended.

3. Collapse Details
    There no sound difference XLR versus other connectors. Even using phono plugs, you can wire them with quad wire if you need to. If battery life is key, get a Fostex FR2LE. Excellent pres, AD converters, SDHC disc recording, and you can put an off-the-shelf RC battery straight in the battery housing that will run 8-10 hours--the batteries are super cheap. Plus XLR, if that is important. It is convenient, that's for sure.
    HD Video: GH5, G85, ax700
    Microphones: Sennheiser MKH 80 MKH20 MKH40
    Neumann 11-pattern dual capsule main pair by Rens Heijnis
    Schoeps MK2, MK2H, MK21, MK41
    own design ribbon mics

4. Collapse Details
    By XLR I meant balanced. Anything else, with cables longer than 3 meters, will work as an antenna. I even already have that problem with balanced XLR cables, picking up seeking signals from mobile phones. Unbalanced cables will also pick up electric noise produced by passing cars, wireless phones, portofoons, electrical devices, etc. If there are balanced cables with phono jacks, great, didn't know that.

5. Collapse Details
    Despite the relative noise, compared to other units, I grabbed an H4N and have found that it does a great job with lapel or shotgun. I was going to try a JL Riggy assist but I ended up feeling more comfortable with external sound. The lesson I learned in this is that it truly is important to get great sound and that most units out there will serve a need more than adequately. Best practice is to grab a unit and make some movies.
    Robert Smith - Houston, TX
    Manager, Marketing Communications - Praxair, Inc.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
    I like the Tascam Dr 680, it has preamps, HP jack, digital mixer, everything you need.
    Agreed - I use our's on every shoot. Super piece of pro gear that behaves exactly as expected, except for the headphone monitor output which is pretty sucky. But if you get your audio to sound good through your cans, then it will sound absolutely phenomenal in post through your studio monitors.
    Aaron J. Courtney, Partner
    CenterStage Productions, LP
    www.centerstagemedia.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12