Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The BMCC will probably be a small but visible bump in IQ, with more room for post. Plus raw, if you need it, wow. Plus serious pan and scan. But there's so many factors to consider. The aliasing on the GH3 is kind of drag, if you shoot stuff that might cause that. There will be tons more footage to look at soon.
    HD Video: GH5, G85, ax700
    Microphones: Sennheiser MKH 80 MKH20 MKH40
    Neumann 11-pattern dual capsule main pair by Rens Heijnis
    Schoeps MK2, MK2H, MK21, MK41
    own design ribbon mics

2. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't say small- in the right hands it would be a massive bump in image quality when comparing RAW on the BMCC vs. AVHCD on the GH2. That's like comparing JPEG stills to RAW stills- if the person doing the shooting and the post-grading really knows their stuff the difference is night and day...

-Noah
    One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount code for DVXusers: dvxcbx20
    Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

3. Collapse Details
    is it really true that you cant delete clips in-camera?
    if so, i dont care who you are or how you shoot, that's just flat out retarded. especially considering its SSD based... : (

4. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    That's funny, because I was thinking the opposite: who actually risks deleting anything on an important shoot?

I don't know the last time I was on a shoot where I had to make sure I didn't lose footage and I deleted a clip for any reason at all.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

5. Collapse Details
    i do it all the time. if there was a take i KNOW is useless (especially when its a long one) i'll kill it just in the interest of space and not having to sort through it later. then if its the end of the shoot, the media is full or nearly full and i know its going to add another offload process and we just need one more shot. i'll go in and kill some of the shots we have already logged as bad.

i guess its just a difference in workflow. ive done it like that since the day i first went tapeless... heck, that was one of the initial appeals.

to defend your point though i have killed a couple bloopers i might have liked to have kept a time or two
    AND i do repeat in my head as im doing it "menu, operation, delete NOT format" ; )

6. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Definitely different. haha. I won't even erase media until I absolutely have to. Sometimes footage sits on cards for a good week or two after the shoot.

But, this is also the mindstate of someone that's lost footage once before. And once you do it once, you fear it for the rest of your life and anything even remotely connected to the concept of losing footage is a no no.
    Comet Color Page

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wgzn View Post
    is it really true that you cant delete clips in-camera?
    if so, i dont care who you are or how you shoot, that's just flat out retarded. especially considering its SSD based... : (
    I know it seems strange, but it's just a different kind of camera. Alexa and Epic also can't delete clips.

8. Collapse Details
    I'm with Kholi, and really only erase cards after footage is on two drives, and then often only weeks later when the next shoot arrives. You just never know!

9. Collapse Details
    But, this is also the mindstate of someone that's lost footage once before. And once you do it once, you fear it for the rest of your life and anything even remotely connected to the concept of losing footage is a no no.
    yeah, i feel ya there. but i never delete anything unless i know its useless in the context of the project. like a rice-rocket flying by killing the dialog.

and i did, ONCE, very early on press format instead of delete. but fortunately only lost about 4 shots of b-roll that i was able to easily reshoot in about 2o minutes. that was enough to ingrain the mantra into my brain

10. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    I guess it isn't so cut and dry, but it's hard not to look at 13 stops and internal Pro Res recording, plus some of the footage out there (some, not all) and not go "Blackmagic or Else!"

I think either way Blackmagic would win in my case, I absolutely want a copy of Resolve so even if it were just a GH3 thing, well it's still gonna be a base of two-thousand to shell out. And who knows, by the time the EF mounted camera's actually shipping even I might have a change of heart and just hold onto the GH2 + GH3 team.

Enjoying the 12/1.6 SLR Magic Hyperprime so much... hard to want to give that up, and the sweet 0.95 options, PL mount, 60P, and yes like some people mention the ultra stealth option.

Know what would make it an easy choice? =D If the GH3 was out RIGHT now.
    Comet Color Page

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast