Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH3 or Black Magic Camera?
    Hi folks,
    I've been shooting with a hacked GH1 and waiting for the GH3 to arrive for the longest time. Today, however, there is the BMC to consider, so I'm wondering if anyone here has thoughts on which one to get.

I shoot mostly corporate stuff on my GH1 and have the rigs/lenses/audio all sorted out. It seems to be the right pricepoint for my clientele. The Gh3 will be a great upgrade because the change will be minimal but very big upside.

On the other hand, BMC opens up our business to a different world. I expect possible rental potention from filmakers, etc. But doing BMC is a diffferent workflow, and our clientele may not appreciate the upgrade (corporate film shot on RAW 2K?).

What do you folks think?

rgds/ RandyQ

2. Collapse Details
    Your work sounds like about what I do, as well. The added workflow of RAW and 2.5K wouldn't be practical for me. That makes added work that I don't need. But you can record directly to ProRes, which would actually make workflow easier. So that's nice. We haven't seen what the DR on the GH3 is yet-- or at least we need to wait until we get the final product to know for sure. But even so, I'm sure that the BMCC will be waay better, even in ProRes. I don't like that you have to add on a separate battery pack since its battery is internal. The smaller sensor size is a slight minus, but it's not all that much smaller.

All things considered, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a GH3 (I have a GH2). Even if the BMCC was the same price as the GH3, I'd probably still prefer the GH3. I don't know, I need to see the final verdict after it is released. I know I don't want to buy another $3k camera, even though that's a great price for what you're getting. I already have $3k in an ENG camera, plus the GH2 at original retail with lenses, etc. Now a couple of years down the line, if the next BMCC has a few improvements and at least a m4/3 sensor (and I feel like I can put $3k or more into a camera), it would definitely be a harder decision. But I'm sure by then, Sony, Canon, and everyone else will have more lower priced cameras that blow today's cheaper cameras out of the water.

You probably have a lot of powered m4/3 lenses, right? Remember that those won't work on the BMCC, even on the one with the m4/3 mount. I did hear that they may release one in a few months that will support those lenses. So that's probably the one you want to hold out on if you do go that route.

I've been doing this on my own for a little over two years. If I was making the big bucks-- which of course I aspire to be within a few more years-- then I would probably go for one of the $5k - $10k cams. I think the word "game changer" is being used a bit too often for cameras right now, but as far as price with what you get, the BMCC is the biggest game changer so far. So I see it as a stepping stone for what's going to come out in another 2 - 5 years. So since I'm happy with the camera that I am currently using, as are my clients, I do feel like I can justify a $1300 purchase for some upgrades that will help me. But I just can't do that for a $3k purchase, and that's what it really comes down to for me.
    Producer, director, and DP. Shooting on a Canon C100 Mark II.

Get in touch!
    // Vimeo

3. Collapse Details
    You don't have to use raw with the BMC, it supports ProRes and DNxHD as well. I would wait until more GH3 footage has hit the internet.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by atarijedi View Post
    You don't have to use raw with the BMC, it supports ProRes and DNxHD as well. I would wait until more GH3 footage has hit the internet.
    Yes, but one of the biggest selling points of the BMCC versus other cameras is arguably the 12-bit RAW support. Once you don't need that (for example, corporate / commercial gigs where a quick turnover is key), AVCHD out of a cheaper GH camera works great. I suppose if you're a heavy FCP user I could see the benefit of recording straight to pro-res, but AVCHD straight out of my hacked GH2 works extremely well in Premiere, Avid and Vegas, and still looks great to my clients. Heck, if the GH3 has decent clean hdmi, you could still record externally to a Ninja for less money.

Don't get me wrong, I think the BMCC is really great. I just don't necessarily think it is a perfect choice for everyone.
    Last edited by M. Gilden; 10-11-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Making movies, and the internet a happier place.
    Twitter: @theRombus
    Click Here to view my Techcitement articles

Sony | Panasonic | Canon
    Vintage lens fanatic | More accessories than I care to list anymore

5. Collapse Details
    Definitely the GH3 is the cheaper option while still giving you awesome imagery and depth of field control. But yeah- the boost you get with raw in terms of dynamic range and color grading options in post production with the BMCC will definitely make the extra costs worthwhile. To be honest I'm not sure these cameras are an appropriate comparison- it's Apple to Oranges. What's your budget and need is really the deciding factor.

-Noah
    One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount code for DVXusers: dvxcbx20
    Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    One thing that I must mention, the most IMPORTANT upgrade I ever did for myself was lighting. After I bought a simple Arri 3 light kit and some cheaper knock off kino flo's my quality in image quality has greatly increased. Many people mention the poor 8 bit compression of dslr's but I've come to find out if you light your subject really well you can get some very very nice quality out of the GH2.

My focus now is on lenses, continue to learn more about lighting and I want to get a nice monitor for my camera. As an editor as well I have been learning a lot more about color correction and grading which has also brought a new level of quality to my work. So for the time being I think myself and many others have still not fully maximized the GH2 and this camera can still be excellent for another year while I continue to build my skills.....

$ 00.02

ps. BMCC looks amazing, but if you have pro Dp's using GH2 hacked cameras mixed with Red Scarlet/Epic than I'm good for now.....

7. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    As much of a no brainer as this is to me (Blackmagic over GH3 hands down) it would make it a lot more of a no-brainer for others if Blackmagic opened up the camera's menus to custom LUT import. So instead of being stuck with either Video or Film, you can pull a LUT you've made with Davinci and all of your ProRes stuff will come out ready to deliver.

Do you know how much more amazing it is to light for a camera that sees in the neighborhood of 13?????
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

8. Collapse Details
    For quick turn arounds (corporate, weddings events etc) go with the gh2.

For slow feature film projects in which you have a lot of time to tweak IQ the BMC is the choice.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by berylium View Post
    For quick turn arounds (corporate, weddings events etc) go with the gh2.

For slow feature film projects in which you have a lot of time to tweak IQ the BMC is the choice.
    ^ That pretty much sums up what I was trying to say.

Making movies, and the internet a happier place.
    Twitter: @theRombus
    Click Here to view my Techcitement articles

Sony | Panasonic | Canon
    Vintage lens fanatic | More accessories than I care to list anymore

10. Collapse Details
    There are two ways to affect the dynamic range. Either you can increase the camera’s dynamic range or decrease the dynamic range of the scene. Buying lighting to reduce the dynamic range of the scene is way cheaper than buying a new camera.

I shoot live action events indoors in poorly lit areas without the option to add additional lighting. The GH3 will be my only option since I would like to do live broadcasts eventually. If you are happy with the GH1’s results and you can add more lighting I would do that.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast