Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Kathryn Bigelow's film about the hunt and killing of Osama Bin Laden. Official trailer released:

http://www.refocusedmedia.com
    Film / Photography
    esse quam videri

2. Collapse Details
    Was pretty good! Nothing gimmicky, over stylized or unrealistic. The narrative stayed true to the actual events leading up to the death of UBL. Everything, especially the final assault on the compound felt very real, almost as if it were a documentary crew coming along for the ride. Can't wait to see Kathryn Bigelow's next film.

3. Collapse Details
    This film was fantastic. A really great slow burn. Crafted impeccably. Just insane how difficult a puzzle like this is.

IMO it was worth it for that moment alone. The raid was also wonderfully done. I was almost expecting more of a typical movie triumph ending, but then when I didn't get it I realized why. It was about the silence of the moment. It would've been wrong to have the rush of music and the cheesy fist pump at a moment like that. It was so sweet but almost bittersweet.

I loved ending it on the "now what" moment for the main character. So much given over such a long time. What does she do now? The pilot asks (almost jokingly) "where do you want to go?" and she has no answer, only tears.

4. Collapse Details
    "The narrative stayed true to the actual events leading up to the death of UBL"

Nonsense. The film created fake torture scenes that never happened. The Senate Intelligence committee called them on it, as the film is a propaganda exercise and makes a case for torture. It's a pretty massive controversy, in the news every day now.

There's even a campaign to stop the film from receiving any academy awards.

The uninformed perception that it "stayed true to actual events" is exactly why these lies are so dangerous and harmful to the rule of law. Torture us a felony crime, a war crime, a violation of the Geneva Conventions. This is the most heinous type of propaganda, that can turn a once free people into the fourth reich.

Learning to Love Torture, Zero Dark Thirty-Style

Zero Dark Thirty: Torturing the Facts

Arrest All Torturers

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mail4joeg View Post
    the film is a propaganda exercise and makes a case for torture.
    I hardly think you can call this a propaganda piece for torture. That's stretching things way too far.

6. Collapse Details
    If you wish to discuss the film, please continue.

However, if this moves into politics, the thread is closed.

It's close to that right now.

Absolutely no political discussions are permitted here.

There are plenty of other internet sites that can be accessed to discuss politics.

This is not one of those sites.

This is the first and last warning.

Thanks for your cooperation.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by L1N3ARX View Post
    The narrative stayed true to the actual events leading up to the death of UBL.
    Oh, thanks for giving away the ending! Should have a spolier alert there man. *joke*

But I find it interesting how movies that deal with recent history, where the viewer already knows the ending, can still be so tense and interesting. I mean we know what happens in the compound, yet its still so tense to watch. Another example was Untied 93; again we all know exactly where this is going to end, but still the viewer is gripped until it actually happens.

I read somewhere that sometimes its more enjoyable to watch a movie when you already know spoilers about it, than watching a movie that you know nothing about. Not sure that I agree with that, but it seems to work very well for examples like these.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
    If you wish to discuss the film, please continue.

However, if this moves into politics, the thread is closed.

It's close to that right now.

Absolutely no political discussions are permitted here.
    That makes it all but impossible to discuss this film on its theme as the whole chat about this film is arguably political.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by P13 View Post
    That makes it all but impossible to discuss this film on its theme as the whole chat about this film is arguably political.
    It should be relatively easy to divorce the discussion of the real world and the actual merits of the movie; does the movie work? If so how and why? If the subject of torture works to drive the story forward then thats fine too. No need to talks about politics.

Looks like they are already working on the sequel:

Harhar. NSFW folks!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by simonpwood View Post
    It should be relatively easy to divorce the discussion of the real world and the actual merits of the movie
    Not really, on a film that is sold as being factual (or at least being set amongst facts) then how it accurately lives up to this is a key part of discussion about it.

I think it's harmful of Hollywood to deliberately rewrite history, I know there were descendants of the crew on the Titanic that were genuinely very upset by some "facts" being made up to create a story. Admittedly with history of that age, where's the speculation on some events, where there's a fictional story being told amongst it, some artistic licence is understandable.

By contrast it was offensive to British veterans to see history rewritten for U-571 on the basis that some Hollywood execs thought it'd be better if the crew was made American rather than British. On that kind of treatment of history I have nothing but contempt, as it adds nothing to the story and causes upset to people currently alive.

With the case of Zero Dark Thirty, it seems unclear how factual or otherwise it is, I would discuss my thoughts on that more but can't see how I can do so without having some political analysis.
    Last edited by P13; 01-13-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast