1. Collapse Details
    Canon EF-S vs. Sony Alpha lenses for FS700?
    What are your preferences? Pros and cons to each? Is a few millisecond difference in autofocus speed the only advantage to the Sony?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ebsseattle View Post
    What are your preferences? Pros and cons to each? Is a few millisecond difference in autofocus speed the only advantage to the Sony?
    Are you going to be using the Canon lenses with an active adapter like the one from Metabones? I'm assuming since you mentioned Alpha (A mount) lenses you'd also be looking at the Sony lens adapter?

I'd say, from my experience Alpha glass is better than EF-s glass. Not in everycase, but enough that I usually lean towards the Alpha lenses. The AF speed will be a bit better and probably more accurate with the Sony lens, expecially while tracking. While I'm not 100% sure, I'd assume the battery life of the camera would be better with Sony lenses. I'd imagine the Metabones adapter requires more power but that's completely a guess.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by coltonokeefe View Post
    Are you going to be using the Canon lenses with an active adapter like the one from Metabones? I'm assuming since you mentioned Alpha (A mount) lenses you'd also be looking at the Sony lens adapter?

I'd say, from my experience Alpha glass is better than EF-s glass. Not in everycase, but enough that I usually lean towards the Alpha lenses. The AF speed will be a bit better and probably more accurate with the Sony lens, expecially while tracking. While I'm not 100% sure, I'd assume the battery life of the camera would be better with Sony lenses. I'd imagine the Metabones adapter requires more power but that's completely a guess.
    I was going to use the Metabones, but ended up deciding against it. Fortunately, your post followed my own line of thinking. Glad to hear there's at least someone else out there who made the same deduction as I did.

4. Collapse Details
    I would say the only really good EF-S lens is the Canon 17-55mm f2.8. Great zoom. EF lenses, many of which are not that much more expensive than EF-S, are considerably better and work on Full Frame as well.

With that said, I think the big problem with Alpha lens is the mount. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Alpha only mount to Sony cameras because of the flange length? Seems like Canon is a little more universal since RED, BMC and Canon all have an EOS mount option.

The other thing is Canon lenses is they hold value really well.

5. Collapse Details
    The auto focus with the alpha adapter is simply amazing. I am pretty sure the performance of the FS100 and 700 using the updated Sony adapter is the same. I shot a live music performance using the FS100 + LAE2 + Alpha 70-200 @ 3.2 all night and it was amazingly fast and accurate. No question I would go the Alpha route if you can afford it.

6. Collapse Details
    Not sure how much I'll be using auto focus, but having it as an option is always helpful. There definitely seems to be a price difference between the two, and Canon has a lot more used on the market as well as a wider selection of lenses, but how many lenses do I really need? With a zoom and a few primes I have more than I'm going to use shooting any doc situation.

7. Collapse Details
    All I know is I was incredibly impressed with the accuracy and performance of that combo and would actually prefer it in a run-n-gun doc scenario. It really blew me away. Don't have any experience with using AF with a Canon/MetaBones combo, but I am doubtful that it would come close to equalling the Sony/Alpha combo. Never ever thought I would consider primarily using video-style AF with a S35 camera in any kind of shoot, but this Sony stuff rocks.