1. Collapse Details
    How to transfer P2 Files from HPX 170 to Laptop via USB port? Converter needed?
    I have been transferring P2 files onto a Mac since I bought my HPX 170 a few years ago through the Mac's firewire port.

The hard drive on the Mac crashed so I replaced it with a cheap Toshiba laptop which doesn't have a firewire input, just USB ports.

If I understand correctly, there is no USB to firewire adapter, and that I need to get a converter of some sort.

Does anybody know what kind of converter I need and where I can get one so I can transfer P2 files from my HPX 170 to my laptop via a USB port.

Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    Just use the USB port on the HPX170. Any mini-USB cable will work. Set your menus to use the USB DEVICE mode instead of 1394 DEVICE. You really, really don't want to use the firewire port to transfer files on a Windows system, it doesn't work reliably.

3. Collapse Details
    Barry, thanks for your quick and helpful response.
    I was able to set the camera to USB DEVICE.

As for the port, my HPX170 doesn't appear to have a USB port, it has three outputs: SDI Out, 1394, and Component Out (which uses the included cable that ends in three multi-colored (Red/Green/Blue) plugs).

I bought my camera in April of 2009. Possibly Panasonic wasn't putting the USB port on the HPX170 at that time.

What do you think? Should I use a 1394-to-USB adapter?

4. Collapse Details
    I don't know about the 2009 HPX170 being that different, but check above the power on/off lever for the usb port. It's not with the other ports. It's under a flat piece of rubber there. Easy to miss.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Guzzi Bruce View Post
    Barry, thanks for your quick and helpful response.
    I was able to set the camera to USB DEVICE.

As for the port, my HPX170 doesn't appear to have a USB port, it has three outputs: SDI Out, 1394, and Component Out (which uses the included cable that ends in three multi-colored (Red/Green/Blue) plugs).

I bought my camera in April of 2009. Possibly Panasonic wasn't putting the USB port on the HPX170 at that time.

What do you think? Should I use a 1394-to-USB adapter?
    It has a USB port. "USB 2.0" is stamped above it.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

6. Collapse Details
    Found the USB port
    Thanks guys, I found the USB port above the power button!