1. Collapse Details
    HDTV Recommendations???
    Question
    I have a 32" Vizio LED, looking to upgrade to 50".

Thoughts/suggestions of relatively recent models, at least as a starting point for comparisons? (no doubt in vivid mode at the store... sigh)

Panasonic/LG/Samsung? Stick with Vizio? (it has a pretty nice picture, but I was comparing it several years ago to my 36" Trinitron)

Not sure if plasma is still worth it, and I have a lot of daylight in my living room...

60 Hz, right? Probably 85% movies, 15% sports.

Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    I have a 26" Samsung LED and it's certainly my favorite TV ever owned. In the past I've had a Sony Trinitron, Sharp Aquos, and Vizio.

3. Collapse Details
    The market is flooded with LEDs but plasmas still seem to offer the best tonal range and color fidelity. It will look dark on a brightly lit showroom floor especially when sitting next to leds but in my home i need to turn down the brightness if my plasma. Plasmas will also save you some money. Don't buy into the "LEDs save you money" lines. The difference in power consumption in dollars and cents is very little. Another thing to consider is if you plan on watching in a bright room or if you plan to hook up a computer to the television. In both cases led is preferable. Burn in still occurs with plasma but if you are careful especially in the first 100 hours of use it wont be anything long term. Wether you go Led or plasma, samsung televisions make a pretty rocking image

4. Collapse Details
    CNET.com always offers good reviews and ratings for the best TV's available...I would look there.

5. Collapse Details
    Hmm... 2 votes for Samsung could prove my hunch right?

LED vs Plasma could prove a difficult decision. I might watch a Sunday afternoon football game in daylight, but mostly movies at night.

Kyle, you're right- next stop CNET.

Thanks guys, and anybody else please feel free to opine...

6. Collapse Details
    Plasma is certainly worth it now, depending on the viewing environment of course.

If LCD\LED, stick with Samsung or Sony (LG/Vizio if a 3rd option is needed). If Plasma, stick with Panasonic or Samsung (no real 3rd option, imo). Anything you get will be at least 60 hz, don't let any other "hz" marketing affect your purchasing decision.

For more in-depth info and user experiences, head over to http://www.avsforum.com
    http://www.refocusedmedia.com
    Film / Photography
    esse quam videri

7. Collapse Details
    I just got this one.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN51E550D1FXZA

And I love it. The fear surrounding plasmas is largely overblown. The tonal range in the colors and depth in the blacks is really rich. Takes some tweaking to get the picture right but that's pretty typical.