Thread: Shotgun Mic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Shotgun Mic
    I'm thinking of doing some interviews while the talent is moving. I'm thinking of either the fig rig or a shoulder mount of some sort. But right now I'm trying to sort out the audio. I see a lot of pics on this site of various rigs with shotgun mics attached to their AF100. I assume this is because the internal mic is not the best quality? Well, |I have a shotgun mic but it has the wrong plug on it. It is a two pronged mini plug that came with the Canon Xl2. Is it possible to replace this plug with an XLR connector?

Thanks for the help!

2. Collapse Details
    Mounting a shotgun mic on camera is probably the worst place to mount the mic. When doing interviews with moving talent consider using a mic on a boom with boom op, and or a wireless lav, unless the audio is not really that important.

3. Collapse Details
    The camera would only be a few feet away from the talent. While the audio while very important it doesn't have to be studio quality(if that is the best way to describe it). I would like to try the shotgun if possible.

4. Collapse Details
    All depends on the Mic. you didn't say inside or outside. Inside I'd cover the back of the shotgun with dense foam ! Anyway, 4' minimum distance for usable audio

5. Collapse Details
    4' would be absolute maximum for a shotgun and voice recording.
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

6. Collapse Details
    From memory the shotgun mic that came with the Canon XL2 was not really a gun mic. It was a very low quality stereo mic which is the equivalent of the built-in stereo mic on the AF100. When you say the camera would only be a few feet away from the talent, in reality how much is a few feet? 10', 5', or are you seriously going to shoot interviews from 3' away?

7. Collapse Details
    What the gig is exactly is a real estate video. I would like to shoot feature films, but right now, I thought I would earn a little bread by doing this! So, the realtor is moving through an expensive property, speaking at an enthusiastic, high energy level, talking about the wonderful features of the property. So he's moving quickly, and I'm framing him closeup either shouldermount, or fig rig. No awards here, I'm afraid.

8. Collapse Details
    Wireless Lav would be more suitable fopr yourt project.
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

9. Collapse Details
    OK, wireless lav mic would be my choice.

Also what's the most important point here, showing off the high energy realtor, or getting good shots of the property so it sells?

10. Collapse Details
    Sounds so simple, but can quickly become a nightmare. A moving target is going to pretty much demand a separate boom op or lav rig of some type, not to mention lighting, follow focus, dolly/slider setups and all that other fun stuff. Your best bet is probably narrating in post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast