Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hate the AF100 LCD - what do I do?
    Just purchased an AF100 and am finding the LCD very difficult to use. So small and such crappy quality. If I was in a studio I would, of course, be using a monitor, but I shoot in all kinds of places where I'm either moving the tripod all the time or doing handheld.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Either a SmallHD DP6/SDI or TVLogic VFM-56W. Or for even smaller you could consider a SmallHD DP4.

3. Collapse Details
    The DP6 isn't at all unreasonable on this camera, and has the advantage of being useable on just about every camera you need down the road. Nailing focus is a cinch with a larger monitor.

In a pinch, you can add one of the small stiff fabric loupes/hoods to the LCD... it doesn't solve its resolution, but it does improve its visibility.

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah, you need a monitor. I got the TV Logic 5.6. I'm very happy with it. The zoom really helps in getting focus marks, and it has just about everything else you can think of. I also use the EVF in B&W with focus assist in red when outside and I've had a lot of luck with that

5. Collapse Details
    An EVF is a nice add on for all these little beasts. Zacuto and SmallHD are great. I have a DP4 EVF and the DP6. I use the DP6 90% of the time mainly because my vision is getting worse and the DP6 is sharp. The DP4 is smaller but I'm not a fan of the Canon batteries it uses. Love the DP6 battery. Two will last all day. Either one is better than the on board LCD.

6. Collapse Details
    I'm in the same boat with my AF and coming from a ENG camera I realized with all the toppings on the AF, FF, rails, MB, ....add a monitor and some O grips and its heavy, especially when pulling focus. Anyone have pics of their AF with monitor ?
    Myles Williams
    RCE VIDEO

https://vimeo.com/rcevideo

7. Collapse Details
    A small 1/4 20 Noga arm is all you need if you want to keep it simple.

8. Collapse Details
    I got an external HDMI monitor (Marshall V-LCD51) so I could view playback when I record to a nanoFlash. But I like the monitors features so much, I will probably be using it even when not using the nanoFlash. The monitor has a pixel-to-pixel feature which magnifies part of the image for focusing, and that can be combined with the monitors own red peaking on B+W. I'm hanging it from an Israeli arm to place it where I want. And having a 5" monitor is kinda nice, compared to the 3.45" one on the camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...INSTALLED.html

-- Ken

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesWilliams View Post
    I'm in the same boat with my AF and coming from a ENG camera I realized with all the toppings on the AF, FF, rails, MB, ....add a monitor and some O grips and its heavy, especially when pulling focus. Anyone have pics of their AF with monitor ?
    Sure... DP6 on an IzzyArm mounted to the stock handle. With the hood, I wind up using it like a huge, very easy-to-see EVF, a'la Zach Zamboni (http://magazine.creativecow.net/arti...the-sony-pmwf3). With the right side handle moved forward, it's exceptionally manageable. I've recently taken to cinching down the monitor mount harm and inserting a simple 1/4-20 handle into the monitor's bottom mount hole as a well-positioned 2nd handle... gets me right by the lens controls.

I don't use matte boxes and only the simplest of rails
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mcbob; 09-24-2012 at 08:58 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Here is my DP6 mounted on the handle. I use it this way a lot. Sorry it's not on an AF-100 but I mount it the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast