Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Best stabilizer for AF100 - Glidecam or Merlin?
    I need to purchase a stabilizer for shooting handheld. Have read a bunch about Glidecam and Merlin. What do all you experts on the AF100 suggest?

Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    Take a look at the CMR blackbird. I like it for my AF100. It sets up pretty fast and once you get use to it you can get some really smooth moves

3. Collapse Details
    Another vote for the Blackbird.

4. Collapse Details
    how many counter balances and what lens are you guys using with the blackbird?

5. Collapse Details
    I think the Merlin is way too touchy. I personally have never been able to make it stay perfectly smooth, and I have tried many times. It always has a little wobble and I have to keep my finger on it to try and make it stay just right. Also, setting it up again after you've taken the time to balance it takes waaay too long, in my opinion. I am seeking other sources of stabilization.

6. Collapse Details
    I use two big, one small on either side. I use the Voigtlander 25mm, the SLRMagic 12mm, and I've even used the Oly 11-22 anything longer gets too wobbly for me. I'm hoping to get that new 12-35 when I can. I think that's going to be THE perfect lens for the AF100 on the blackbird.

7. Collapse Details
    thanks hscully

8. Collapse Details
    These rigs where you hold in your hand can do a lot of damage to your wrists.

9. Collapse Details
    I was wondering about that. I've used a FigRig with the AF-100 but I would think with the Blackbird the camera is kind of heavy for it. The samples I've seen with a DSLR are impressive.

10. Collapse Details
    It just about makes it with the AF100 with a lens, but it balances fine. The weight capacity is 8 lbs.

I don't use it all day. Most of the time I move the camera I need to pull focus and that precludes using the blackbird. I only use it when I can maintain a fixed distance from the subject as with a wide with deep enough focus. It doesn't take the place of a proper steadicam especially as it relates to weight capacity, the ability to pull focus with something like a Preston, or using it all day! My ability to fly it is about 1/2 hour. But it's fine for "steadicam type moves" with just the AF100 and a lens. It's great for walk and talks and such. Another slight compromise using it, for me, is that I can't run line in sound into the camera which I generally like to do and must use an outboard recorder. Definitely not an issue for DSLR shooters ;)
    Last edited by hscully; 09-26-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast