Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I tried the command line copy but I can get to the private folder, however when I then type cd \avchd I get a message that the path isn't recognized even though I can type dir and see the avchd folder in the private directory. With the alternate audio source I recorded, I was able to get enough on the time line to edit but I won't be using this camcorder in the hd mode until I can seamlessly extract the files, otherwise it is kind of useless. Is it possible that the camcorder isn't writing some meta data onto the card that would allow for seamless file extraction? I called panasonic support but they had no idea and couldn't tell me why their avccam viewer wouldn't even show the video seamless. Will I get just as good a final product if I use the sd 480 30p, or would you use the 480 60i in sd mode?

2. Collapse Details
    I must admit that my HMC cameras do a far better job if the files go over 4GB ...even just copying the files direct from the stream folder onto my computer drive and butting up the two files gives me flawless results so the firmware must be different??

Maybe you could do a pause around the 20 minute mark and record again at a convenient break in the proceeding?? I do that at weddings by choice and turn the main cam off while the couple are signing the register. What are you actually recording and is it possible to force a break??? That isn't the ideal situation but at least the cam will record correctly up to the clip end and all you need to do is trim it?? If it is definately missing some audio when the file reaches limits I would be inclined to send it in for a warrany repair ...even if you use the stream MTS files direct there shouldn't be any parts with no audio. You say the camera plays back the file perfectly?? Are you 100% sure there isn't a tiny gap between the two ?? Try selecting both files on the card and then play in either WMP or VLC player and skip thru the first clip until you are almost at the end and then listen VERY carefully to the changeover!! The number of frames you are talking about is close to 1/2 - 3/4 second so it's hard to actually see if the files actually play the break in audio...

I have done tests using SD on both of my cameras and then HD rendered down to SD MPEG2 and there is a BIG difference...with an NSTC camera with a smaller SD frame size (mine are 576i not 480i) it will be even lower! I would definately shoot in HD and render back to SD...it's easy in Vegas ! If you shoot interlaced then you need to set the de-interlacing to BLEND...progressive you can turn it off and the other neat trick is to add the Sony Sharpen plugin to all video tracks BUT leave the letting at zero (I have no idea why it makes the footage a lot better but it does!!!)

Just another interesting point??? In SD you will reach the 4GB limit a lot quicker as the files are bigger from the camera. Do you have the same issue in SD shoots with split files??? (Last bit of audio is missing)

Hope you sort it out

Chris

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all the assistance. The interesting thing is that in SD mode I can just go to that folder and drag them into Vegas and it is all seamless, no missing frames. I will try the VLC player and see if they are seamless there.

4. Collapse Details
    I will be doing a concert Friday at 720/24p - it will for sure run over 4GB so I can listen at the interface to see if I can detect any losses. I am on Vegas 10. If you have a different version then the test will be inconclusive. Difficult to do a test like this because you never know what is going on/not going on at the time of the split.

5. Collapse Details
    I'm using Vegas 11. It seems as though the splits always happen in the middle of a song. It would really be nice if it was possible to split clips when there was a pause in the program for a few seconds.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jglenn View Post
    I tried the command line copy but I can get to the private folder, however when I then type cd \avchd I get a message that the path isn't recognized even though I can type dir and see the avchd folder in the private directory.
    Do you still have the footage on an SD card? Because it's things like this that make me think you must have a botched copy on the hard disk somehow.

I won't be using this camcorder in the hd mode until I can seamlessly extract the files, otherwise it is kind of useless.
    The camcorder produces seamless files. I don't know what happened in your workflow that caused you this difficulty, but it is absolutely atypical. The camcorders were designed from the ground up to provide for seamless file spanning, and when the NLEs are used properly to import the files, seamless spanning is what you get. Again, your experience here is absolutely not normal, and I haven't done that exact combination so I don't know where the problem is.

Is it possible that the camcorder isn't writing some meta data onto the card that would allow for seamless file extraction?
    Absolutely not. The camcorder is AVCHD-standard, and it writes out every file that is necessary to comply with the AVCHD standard, and the AVCHD standard calls for seamless file spanning. Again, I guarantee you that the camcorder by itself is performing properly (unless you have a defective unit, which could then be causing any number of unforeseen complications). So I guess I should say "a normally-functioning AVCHD camcorder is absolutely guaranteed to write out every jot of information necessary to properly allow for seamless file spanning."

Will I get just as good a final product if I use the sd 480 30p, or would you use the 480 60i in sd mode?
    Depends on if you want the "live" look, or the "filmic" look. 30p isn't actually filmic, but it's more like filmic than it is "live". In any case, if your target delivery is standard-def DVD, shooting in 480 is a perfectly reasonable choice. However, be aware that the standard-def mode takes up just as much space on the memory card as high-def (more, actually; HD PH mode takes 24mbits, and standard-def DV takes 25 megabits). So you'll have the exact same file spanning issue when clips exceed the same 4GB limit. The only real difference at that point is that you'd be dealing with DV .AVI files instead of MPEG-2 .mts files, so maybe Vegas would have an easier time stitching together DV .AVI files?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHarding View Post
    I must admit that my HMC cameras do a far better job if the files go over 4GB ...even just copying the files direct from the stream folder onto my computer drive and butting up the two files gives me flawless results so the firmware must be different??
    There is absolutely no difference. Both the AC130 and the HMC series use AVCHD with PH mode. They are the same.

You say the camera plays back the file perfectly??
    He did, and this is what tells me that his camcorder is functioning properly and that the data absolutely *is* there and that it is possible to make a seamless edit of it. And that therefore something is malfunctioning either in the copy of the data that he made, or there's a bug in the NLE.

8. Collapse Details
    Do you still have the footage on an SD card? Because it's things like this that make me think you must have a botched copy on the hard disk somehow.

Perhaps there is an issue with the SD Card itself. What brand and speed rating is the card?

Is there a possibility that the card could have been used earlier on a different camcorder, and not reformatted on the AC130 for use with it? Besides my AC130 I also have a Canon HF G10, a Nikon D90, and a Panasonic GH2. I found that I have to be careful in not accidentally using a card formatted on another camera in my AC130. While everything seems to record OK, I've then had weird issues importing the files.
    Last edited by LanceOregon; 08-28-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    Canon Vixia HF G10. PANASONIC AG-AC130 . PANASONIC GH2 AND GH3 . Nikon D600. Adobe Premier Pro CS 6
    Canon Directional Stereo Microphone DM100 . RODE VIDEOMIC PRO . AUDIO-TECHNICA BP4029 STEREO SHOTGUN MICROPHONE

9. Collapse Details
    I haven't yet downloaded the VLC player to check the files on that. I purchased 8 new san disk extreme class cards with the camcorder and formatted them all in the camera upon recieving them. Would it have mattered if I had been in the SD mode when I formatted the cards? I don't remember if I was or not. The video I shot was over an hour and a half for the first part and about 2 hours for the second. I was recording in 720 60p using simutaneous record and have the same problem with all cards. The thing is I don't know why when I tested in the SD mode all clips were seamless. I have also tried offloading them in my old computer with no luck there either. I do still have the footage on an SD card and I tried another new card at home just letting the camcorder run until it would make a split and that copy also has the missing audio at the end of the clip.

10. Collapse Details
    Just for interest was the new card you tried formatted in AVCHD mode??? I must admit I never tried that as I never use DV mode and when you did the new card did you just use one slot??

It seems very strange ...the only thing I did notice is on the 130 mine did leave a gap at the end with no video and no audio which I had to trim back...the HMC's I know don't leave any gap so it might be the fact that it's a dual slot camera but it's highly doubtful!! Just grasping at straws here but would the fact that you are running double frame rate have anything to do with it??? Maybe try the same card, formatted in AVCHD mode and shoot the test in normal PH mode 1080 50 or 60i ?

It will be interesting to see what caused the issue!!

Chris

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast