1. Collapse Details
    Need to match my AF100 with Red Scarlet
    I am producing and directing a large project over three days and I usually also DP my gigs, however, there are so many talent involved and the client wanted a "5D look" that I hired a DP. He upgraded the gig (at the same price) to his Red Scarlet. So I will use my AF100, when time permits, for second angle B-camera.

The only thread I found on the forum was:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...=scarlet+af100

I'm thinking if I stay more telephoto/tight it will match more, especially since the final videos will be for their website only. Should I just shoot flat and have the editor do the matching?

Thanks for your insights

Ned
    Ned Miller
    Chicago-based Freelance Videographer
    www.nedmiller.com

2. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    My suggestion would be to sit down with the DP, so some testing with your AF, and get in the ballpark of the look you both want for the overall project. The Scarlet shoots RAW R3D files, so matching those to your AF "look" shouldn't be an issue.
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

3. Collapse Details
    Dude, whatever you do, please post the final product. I would love to see how it turns out.

4. Collapse Details
    The other thing to remember here is that, depending on how you're dealing with the footage and what you're used to in post, a RAW workflow can consume more time and storage space than you might be used to otherwise. I'm not saying this to be a party pooper as the Scarlet can produce some wonderful footage in the right hands (like any other camera) but keep in mind the requirements during post (the 5D comes with its own set of requirements - just be aware they're different and how they might affect you and your process.)

There are plenty of examples of very different cameras being intercut; I think you should be fine, even if there's a difference that professionals might notice immediately. I've not found the AF100 to be noiseless enough "flat" - but that's my two cents (and they're getting rid of the penny here so it's pretty worthless.) ;)
    There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. -Bruce Ediger

SLR'd WRDS

5. Collapse Details
    We have AF100's and RED's and have mixed the two together. The fact that the footage is going to wind up on a
    website takes a lot of the concerns "off the table" .. to be honest .. I don't know why they would shoot at
    5K for Web.

The biggest different between the two cameras is resolution and latitude. So, don't put your AF100's in situations
    that require fine-detail .. or high dynamic range .. and you'll be good.

A good editor will pick the shots that work together well.

Just make sure you white-balance good and let them color-correct in post.

jeff
    Last edited by jmarkham; 08-25-2012 at 10:05 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant Lizard View Post
    Dude, whatever you do, please post the final product. I would love to see how it turns out.
    +1

7. Collapse Details
    Use the tonalizer plugin for FCP.