Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Messineo View Post
    Hell, you made a film and that's more than most can say - look at the dozens who started threads only to drop out.
    And that there is the very least you can take way - which is a fair effort IMO.

Jace take a look around this forum. 80,000 members approx. How many made something for this fest? How many mode something for any reason in the past few months. Id say your in a group of around 5% of the total membership and off that probably 2.5% made a narrative.

Pretty good going on your part wouldnt you say?

One thing about doing this job - every day you put your work out there for everyone to see. Its a very honest profession. Not only that it takes guts to let everyone hold your work up to the light and examine every second / every component / every breathe of it. That's the reality of this job though. You either create and hide it in your basement or put it out there.

Critique is just that, critique. Not everyone's going to follow the same path of delivery and some people believe that not giving you the honest truth from their perspective would be doing you a disservice but, like anything in life you can either take it or leave it.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

2. Collapse Details
    mind was pretty badass
    Last edited by Lbab; 08-20-2012 at 06:15 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbab View Post
    what a baby, he just jellos that my film got a lot better reviews :p
    I will admit, your's was pretty bad ass ;)

4. Collapse Details
    One of my favorite quotes is, "Everyone has and opinion just like having an A-hole, some just stink worse than others". Point being, when someone critiques your work, that is their opinion and it might stink all the way to high heaven. I have read a few of Lawrie's reviews and personally don't agree with some of his points or how he has a weird sense of subjugation attached to his comments but at least he spends the time thinking about it. You all rock for making this a community of film makers and nice to see discourse occurring.. I am just an outsider looking in and have a stinky butt too

5. Collapse Details
    ...or the other quote works just as well:
    "Opinions are like orgasms. Mine's important and i dont care if she has one."

6. Collapse Details
    I have read a few of Lawrie's reviews and personally don't agree with some of his points or how he has a weird sense of subjugation attached to his comments
    Now I too don't agree with the weird sense of irrelevance you raise, in a simple attempt to brandish a personal critique of me. If you want to disagree with anything I have to say about a film, do it in relation to my comments about that film and leave me out of it thank you very much.

The Token

This film showcases some beautiful and very professional visuals - both with the cinematography and the colour grading. For that and the films excellent production values - I give it a big thumbs up!

Where the film struggled I think - was in how it attempted to create a sense of suspense - and a heartfelt sense of conflict (with our German Officers soul) over how he is behaving (to the types of people he may have once played with as a child.) This nostalgic childhood kind of reminisent is not an unfamiliar theme in war films - its a classic trope, but for it to work it has to have such a ball grabbing level of intensity - of feeling - that we really feel our nuts getting crushed seeing what this officer might or might not do. Not just that - but more importantly - we should feel that conflict play out much louder (in his heart) than with what evidence we are provided in the flashbacks.

That is - the flashbacks are cute BUT do they build up the kind of high noon stand off (that makes our officers battle of indoctrination vs soul) something deep and memorable?) Or is it just pretty and slightly forgettable.

I think unfortunately it falls to the later - because we do not have the opportunity to really feel that intensity. Everything else - gorgeous, shiny as a belt buckle, but it lacks fire imo.

Someone who is probably the indisputed master of setups/flashbacks is Sergio Leonne - and like yours these flashbacks are interwoven piece meal through the mainform narrative to a climactic conclusion.

Spoilers
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kD54-q1uFM

Duck you Suckers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGif...e=results_main

Of course those films are a product of the style of their time, and its not to say that the film requires as melodramatic an impact but... something of that sort would have struck the spirit with a more positive remembrance for your character and film.
    Last edited by lawriejaffa; 08-21-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

7. Collapse Details
    YES!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    ...or the other quote works just as well:
    "Opinions are like orgasms. Mine's important and i dont care if she has one."

Hahahahahaha I am totally going to use that!

8. Collapse Details
    Hey, Jace it was still better than Prometheus.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBinSD View Post
    Hey, Jace it was still better than Prometheus.
    Bull! I enjoyed prometheus :-p . its just that they need to FIRE the writer hahah. But seriously it would have been cinematic gold if they had a good writer on board with the directional genius of Ridley Scott. Ah well. No such thing as perfect movies these days.
    Anyway thanks

10. Collapse Details
    In time, on these fests, you'll start to realize who's trying to help, who doesn't give a crap, and who's just blowing smoke up your butt. There are a couple of members that I usually seek out to look at my stuff because a.) they're going to be brutally honest with me and b.) not "play nice" just to play nice. Lawrie is one of them. He tells you what he thinks, and moves on. Charli is another. They're both to the point and if you're in the wrong mood can come off as harsh. But the thing is, they're going to tell you the truth without trying to fluff your ego. THAT'S why I seek them out. You'll get enough praise from others, so it's good to listen to what they say for the sheer fact of bettering yourself. It's nothing personal, but it definitely feels that way. But just remember that each person is just one person. Unfortunately the "bad" reviews stick in your head more. Much like if five people say "You look good today," and someone says, "Those shoes are ugly," the latter is what you'll remember later.

I look forward to seeing yours.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast