Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaceBrownlow View Post
    Really? Thats your feedback to me? Just quit, aye?
    Apparently, you take everything as either all or nothing. I was very careful not to tell you to "just quit", but to let you know that you can only expect more as you continue and if you want to get bent out of shape every time someone delivers criticism in a way that makes you feel bad, then you might want to re-consider.

But, of course, it's much easier to continue along with those bad vibes of yours and play the persecution card and claim I told you to just quit.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
    Apparently, you take everything as either all or nothing. I was very careful not to tell you to "just quit", but to let you know that you can only expect more as you continue and if you want to get bent out of shape every time someone delivers criticism in a way that makes you feel bad, then you might want to re-consider.

But, of course, it's much easier to continue along with those bad vibes of yours and play the persecution card and claim I told you to just quit.
    the way I see it as, the more critiques I get, the better I will become, and the more I will be able to take it, no? I know I might sound like I am coming off as a ranting whiner, but I am not really that upset. Maybe its the way I came off. Either way sorry. I am in no way trying to make enemies.
    Last edited by JaceBrownlow; 08-20-2012 at 04:47 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    the way I see it as, the more critiques I get, the better I will become, and the more I will be able to take it, no?
    Sometimes not. Plenty of A-listers in Hollywood who won't read reviews because it enrages them.

4. Collapse Details
    Reviews can sting.

This is my sixth DVXFest and I have received my share of critical reviews (Lawrie and I have had healthy discussions in the past).

But honestly, I have really come to appreciate brutal honesty from anyone and everyone - it is a rare thing - and definitely more helpful than faint praise.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
    Sometimes not. Plenty of A-listers in Hollywood who won't read reviews because it enrages them.
    ah, more encouraging words! Keep em coming!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Messineo View Post
    Reviews can sting.

This is my sixth DVXFest and I have received my share of critical reviews (Lawrie and I have had healthy discussions in the past).

But honestly, I have really come to appreciate brutal honesty from anyone and everyone - it is a rare thing - and definitely more helpful than faint praise.
    It can be very helpful indeed! Some of the worst stuff people have said about my work is most of the time the most helpful in the long run

7. Collapse Details
    It can be very helpful indeed! Some of the worst stuff people have said about my work is most of the time the most helpful in the long run
    It sounds like you actually have a pretty good attitude towards criticism. I just reread Lawrie's review of your film and he does make some points comically (he has a certain style), but he also offers up guidance and praise. I think you should feel good about your film. Hell, you made a film and that's more than most can say - look at the dozens who started threads only to drop out.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Messineo View Post
    It sounds like you actually have a pretty good attitude towards criticism. I just reread Lawrie's review of your film and he does make some points comically (he has a certain style), but he also offers up guidance and praise. I think you should feel good about your film. Hell, you made a film and that's more than most can say - look at the dozens who started threads only to drop out.
    well I was more in defense of my brother, as most of the criticism was aimed at the writing and story. As far as the criticism I got on my directing/cinematography, it all seemed to be pretty spot on.

9. Collapse Details
    Oh JaceBrownlow, If you have a specific issue with my critique - quote the section I said that you disagree with, and I will happily discuss it with you.

well I was more in defense of my brother,
    Its touching that you would 'defend' your brother, but its not necessary to, neither is posting a personal rant about me, and nor will that make your or your brothers film any better. I do suggest developing a thicker skin regarding critique.

I post my reviews (summarised) in a single thread, because I have been requested to at times in PM for the years that I have participated with these festivals. I sometimes include a little comparison essay too at the end of the festival, once ive gone through all the films.

So look im not annoyed by you getting personal, I remember feeling that way about people not feinting in praise over my early efforts too... but just get that it doesnt 'help you' to do get flustered and silly about it. The reason I posted critique - humorous and serious, is because I cared enough about your film to watch it carefully, and to type a public response.

I think you should feel good about your film. Hell, you made a film and that's more than most can say
    +1 Chris

No hard feelings - look forward to you or your brothers next film
    Last edited by lawriejaffa; 08-20-2012 at 05:21 PM.
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lawriejaffa View Post
    Oh JaceBrownlow, If you have a specific issue with my critique - quote the section I said that you disagree with, and I will happily discuss it with you.

Its touching that you would 'defend' your brother, but its not necessary to, neither is posting a personal rant about me will not make your film any better nor will it make you a thicker skinned individual regarding critique.

I post my reviews (summarised) in a single thread, because I have been requested to at times in PM for the years that I have participated with these festivals. I sometimes include a little comparison essay too at the end of the festival, once ive gone through all the films.

So look im not annoyed by you getting personal, I remember feeling that way about people not feinting in praise over my early efforts... just get that it doesnt 'help you' to do get flustered and silly about it. The reason I posted critique - humorous and serious, is because I cared enough about your film to watch it carefully, and to type a public response.

+1 Chris

No hard feelings - look forward to your or your brothers next film
    Nothing you said I really took personally towards myself. As all the things you mentioned that were by my doing, I fully agreed with. I knew you had some good things to say, it was just the way you worded other things that it sounded like it was more geared toward insult, I should have let you know earlier that I did agree with some of your other reviews. I just really dont like seeing an artists made fun of from their work. And I know this isnt the case now. But either way sorry for the rants, not really prone to doing that just been a weird week. And I thank you for the reply.
    Last edited by JaceBrownlow; 08-20-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: b

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast