Thread: The Captive

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Loved the slightly Tony Scott opening there. The camera work in the initial scene was great along with some of the suttle moves in the middle such as when she discovers that he has a gun now.....that shot was nice (but you already knew that judging by the frame grab you posted

I liked the sound throughout.

I have to echo the white wall gripe and thought the hostage didnt do anything to sell that struggle...but overall really well done short

2. Collapse Details
    Loved your leading lady. Way to get 'em dirtied up!

Good entry.

AJ Brooks - Writer / Director

3. Collapse Details
    Nice opening shot and I liked the coloration throughout. A little more tention could have been build during the hostage scenerio towards the end that may have added a little more impact.

Good work though.

4. Collapse Details
    (As I wait on this render, I thought I would post)

Spoiler-y review:

What I liked: The treatment. I looked good. I also liked how dirty and worn the characters were. The two leads were pretty solid. Audio seemed very clean (though her breathing at the end was all in my left ear). Good opening of just throwing us in the fray instead of "25 years into the future, life as we know it [insert long intro paragraph]."

What I didn't like as much: The title was hard to read. Black on parts of black with no depth made it tough. This seemed like a part of a bigger piece. I know the saying is to get in late and leave early, but I think you left too early. I wanted to see more, but not in the sense of "I can't wait for the sequel." More in the sense of, "That didn't feel finished." The guy at the computer seemed pointless. The conversation (aside) seemed a little redundant, too. The audio was a few frames off in places, which was throwing me. The lighting was a little inconsistent, too.

Overall good piece, but a few small tweaks would really ramp this up.
    Last edited by Hawk Teflon; 08-24-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spelign

5. Collapse Details
    Too slow to give my comments... they just got taken above!! Still I'll say it: loved the grungy feel/look of the whole thing and your main actress. The film had a grittiness that lent an authenticity to the situation which was neat. Would've liked to have had the stakes a little higher for the audience -- that is, I knew this was a big deal for THEM, but I wasn't quite connected enough to them for me to understand/get behind that, and really really CARE what happened to them.

6. Collapse Details
    Great sound and bright light with the opening of the door at the beginning. The sound cuts off with a slight pop between some of the dialog cuts, a crossfade or fade in would take care of those. I thought the lighting was pretty good, good shadows on the faces. At the end I did like that the guy and girl were talking back and forth about what the captive would do but it didn't feel real. It seems like the guy would have tried to talk down the captive to try to work something out. I enjoyed the simplicity of the story. We got it. The dialog wasn't there for filler, it seemed like it was only there if it was telling us something that we wouldn't be able to know by what we were seeing. Good work!

7. Collapse Details
    I enjoyed this, left hanging though. Wanted to know what would have happened next, bugger it!

8. Collapse Details
    Black font for a title, I almost missed it. Opening images, solid. Fact everyone looked worn from battle, good. Dialogue and storyline however I found lacking. There just wasn't enough. It was predictable. It wasn't as entertaining because the bulk of the story - two people in a hallway arguing. Gritty, good. Story, not so much.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234