Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Rokinon cine lenses arriving!
    I was looking for a cheap fisheye for an FX shot and thought of the Rokinon lens since a lot of their lenses (not all) are decent and reasonably priced. while looking I found that they have a cine version of the 8mm fisheye. I ordered one but I can't really comment on the build quality or mechanics yet. Its not a fast lens and I don't expect great optics on a fisheye, but I bought a new one for $300.

I found this cine lens idea interesting since I can't really afford cine lenses and Rokinon's 35mm and 85mm F1.4 lenses are actually pretty darn good. The ones I tested were right up there with Nikon glass and sharper than some other brands cine glass.

I then found that Rokinon is planning to release a 35mm T1.5 cine lens on August 15th at B&H for about $550. Plus the 85mm T1.5 is planned for Sept. I expect they have the same high resolution as their manual photo lenses, but declicked, with gears, etc.

(I also see they have a 14mm and 24mm but I don't know about them. The photo 24mm is reputed to be a little soft.)

Obviouly these won't compete with the very best lenses, I can see this as being the beginning of a decent cine lens set, thats faster than the Russian lenses and very inexpensive.

Has anyone else heard more?

2. Collapse Details
    I use "stills" version of 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 with great success... Good for F3, with long focusing travel and nice performance. I was forced to get some kind of primes while waiting for "never released" Birger EOS mount for my Canon high speed primes... I got both lenses used on online forums. Great buy! Recommend!
    When I mount them on my Optitek adapter, the become "declicked"...

FIND ME ON INSTAGRAM: @CoxwellStock

3. Collapse Details
    I have the Optitek adapter too, which is nice for a smooth aperture transition, but the markings on the optitek aren't very accurate. With these I'll be able to read the T settings accurately.

The 35 and 85mm cine version of the lenses are planned. I hope they do a matching 50mm cine lens.

4. Collapse Details
    True, Duke...
    when I got mine last year, there was no other version... I might upgrade to cine version, when they start selling. But I rather invest in that Birger adapter, sell all Rokinons and Tokinas and Nikons and use my Canon set... A man can dream?...
    Last edited by Tata Steva; 08-11-2012 at 11:57 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I'm interested in whether the Rokinon cine lense will just have de-clicked iris's ( no big deal) or whether they will have a much longer range of focus travel with accurate markings. If the latter they will definately fill a void in the low end market and will be quite attractive. I compared the Rokinon 35mm f1.4 to my nikon Zeiss f2 Z. It wasn't as good especially wide open but it wasn't bad. A long focus throw might make a difference to me at those prices.

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Hmm... Comparing photos of new cine lens T1.5 to Rokinon F1.4 the focus markings are spread quite a bit further apart. That sounds good.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tata Steva View Post
    True, Duke...
    when I got mine last year, there was no other version... I might upgrade to cine version, when they start selling. But I rather invest in that Birger adapter, sell all Rokinons and Tokinas and Nikons and use my Canon set... A man can dream?...
    I think the F3 is so far down on Birger's list that with a 3-5 year obselecence cycle you'll be out of luck. But I'm just guessing based on their total lack of posting any info of any kind.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke M. View Post
    I think the F3 is so far down on Birger's list that with a 3-5 year obselecence cycle you'll be out of luck. But I'm just guessing based on their total lack of posting any info of any kind.

Yeah, I know...
    the only hope that I have is the recent mentioning of it in Sony's new F3 brochure...

9. Collapse Details
    I would be thrilled if Rokinon produced a decent set of F2.8 cine zooms.

10. Collapse Details
    I guess Samyang and Rokinon are the same company.
    Last edited by lasikdenver; 08-13-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast