Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Free music for Commercial project? is it possible?
    Hello

I would like to ask if there is such a thing as a Free music for commercial projects? are there any kind of sources for free music and/or sounds? As i understand Probably some of the Classical music can be used for free, or i am wrong?

projects like the ones that u ll put on dvd for sale, or pay per download?

and 2nd question, what are the cheap sources where i could buy the music cheap for my commercial project ?

2. Collapse Details
    If you're selling the end product why should the musicians work for free?

There is lots of reasonably priced royalty free music out there.

3. Collapse Details
    Agreed! If you have a budget, pay for the assets that you are using.

Everyone wants photographers, graphic artists, etc. to work for free, when they get paid for teh work they do as account managers, magazine publishser, or DP's, etc.

Creative Cow used to pop a link to a royalty free music site where you could browse a database of songs, or search on criteria. You could try there, or post here in jobs, etc.

Pay a reasonable amount though. Based on size of project if it is a decent budget, or at least a $10 an hour base rate if it is low budget. People gotta live.

Best,
    Michael

4. Collapse Details
    Creative Cow Stock Audio:

http://stockyard.creativecow.net/sea...t_folder=audio

Gratis, free for students or indi, donation to Humane Society for Commercial:

http://www.mobygratis.com/film-music.html

Premium Beat, looks like the most:

http://www.premiumbeat.com/?gclid=CL...FYOc7QodemMAPQ

Whole list of sites from Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/forums/wanted_and_offered/topic:15629

5. Collapse Details
    For classical recordings check out http://musopen.org. These recordings have no copyright restrictions.

For more contemporary music, go to http://soundcloud.com/tracks/search and click "advanced search" and activate the buttons for "Free to use commercially", "Free to modify" and "No rights reserved" under the Creative Commons License heading.

In both cases I would contact the originator of the recording to verify its status and have them sign an agreement.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

6. Collapse Details
    The best site for both is:
    www.jamendo.com
    Igelkott Film is Hedgehog Film
    www.igelkottfilm.com

7. Collapse Details
    You still need to be careful, because some of the sources mentioned cannot guarantee the music is able to be used. As an example:
    6. Can I use Musopen music in another work that will be sold for profit?Public domain works are not protected by U.S. copyright law and are free to be used, copied, performed and distributed by anyone for any purpose, even if sold for profit. [However, as noted above, we strongly encourage our users to independently assess whether any given musical work or sound recording is in the public domain before using, copying, performing or distributing musical works or sound recordings found on the Musopen site.

People have uploaded what they state as copyright free music, and then you can download it and use it even if you make a profit - BUT you have to assess it is copyright free, and as you have no idea who is even playing it, you could still be caught out. Their terms and conditions seem to protect them, by the uploader promising it's ok.

So it's fine to use public domain material as long as you know it really is public domain - as in the composer and the performer. I looked at the Pictures at an Exhibition clip that is popular. Some clips are sampled and sound very odd, others are clearly sampled or synthesised synth sounds - spot the Roland sound set in some, while others are clearly amateur orchestras, but a few sound like really good orchestras, and I find it difficult to believe pro musicians 'gave away' their rights - the ones in the UK very rarely do freebies.

So all you can do is your best. If you are going to make a profit, why try to save a small amount by using music of unknown origin and status.

Much comes down to what you are prepared to accept yourself. I usually give the client the option on music clearances - "we can pay for a license to use the pice you want", or we can save a little by using something similar, but not Dire Straits?" Then if they consider it worth it, you can license the popular track, and if not, pick something else. They never object to you offering a choice.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dwiener View Post
    If you're selling the end product why should the musicians work for free?

There is lots of reasonably priced royalty free music out there.
    what does it means royalty free?

9. Collapse Details
    thank you guys for your advices! i am checking the links you provided now.... if u know any more plz post it here

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    You still need to be careful, because some of the sources mentioned cannot guarantee the music is able to be used. As an example:

People have uploaded what they state as copyright free music, and then you can download it and use it even if you make a profit - BUT you have to assess it is copyright free, and as you have no idea who is even playing it, you could still be caught out. Their terms and conditions seem to protect them, by the uploader promising it's ok.

So it's fine to use public domain material as long as you know it really is public domain - as in the composer and the performer. I looked at the Pictures at an Exhibition clip that is popular. Some clips are sampled and sound very odd, others are clearly sampled or synthesised synth sounds - spot the Roland sound set in some, while others are clearly amateur orchestras, but a few sound like really good orchestras, and I find it difficult to believe pro musicians 'gave away' their rights - the ones in the UK very rarely do freebies.

So all you can do is your best. If you are going to make a profit, why try to save a small amount by using music of unknown origin and status.

Much comes down to what you are prepared to accept yourself. I usually give the client the option on music clearances - "we can pay for a license to use the pice you want", or we can save a little by using something similar, but not Dire Straits?" Then if they consider it worth it, you can license the popular track, and if not, pick something else. They never object to you offering a choice.[/FONT]
    thanks for the info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast