Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    IBC 2012 - Any signs of a larger sensor "handlecam"...?
    Iīm still wondering why we have so many options of larger sensor cameras now, but none with a fixed lens. IBC is up next and although it isnīt famous for big releases, maybe there is news of a camcorder so many want(ed).
    I havenīt really followed the rumors the last year, I guess a AF100 follow up wouldnīt be that far stretched, but Iīm thinking more of a HVX200 / EX1 style handlecam with a fixed manual lens.
    Doesnīt have to be infamous the 3K for 3K Scrarlett, but...
    Or am I just getting too old, is this segment done?
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I LIKE FOOD. FOOD IS GOOD.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Iīm still wondering why we have so many options of larger sensor cameras now, but none with a fixed lens. IBC is up next and although it isnīt famous for big releases, maybe there is news of a camcorder so many want(ed).
    I havenīt really followed the rumors the last year, I guess a AF100 follow up wouldnīt be that far stretched, but Iīm thinking more of a HVX200 / EX1 style handlecam with a fixed manual lens.
    Doesnīt have to be infamous the 3K for 3K Scrarlett, but...
    Or am I just getting too old, is this segment done?
    JVC is coming out with, or has already released, a 4k fixed lens camera. Small sensor size, but large resolution.

3. Collapse Details
    Fixed lens doesn't make sense for a large sensor camera. You would wind up at best with something like the 14-140 Panasonic lens, or the 18-200 Sony. Slow, not constant speed. Anything else would get too big and heavy and too expensive for a fixed lens camera. Closest thing to this is the Sony VG-20 at present. You can always get that and just not take the kit lens off.

4. Collapse Details
    Is it really that hard? Although being in the business for quite some time I have to admit that I donīt know poopoo about lens/camera engineering. But when I see consumer compact cameras like the Pana Lumix-DMC-FZ200 superzoom with constant F2.8 aperture lens or the new Sony RX100 with a 1" sensor (but no constant aperture), I always think, come on guys that should be doable in the 5K pro-segment...
    It doesnīt have to be 4K and APS-C size, but sth like the classic 2/3" or going towards MFT sensor size like the AF100. Seems like the old "protecting the pro shoulder cam segment" problem...

5. Collapse Details
    So still no rumors...?

6. Collapse Details
    I don't think there is a high enough demand for this type of camera. If I see correctly you want an ENG shouldercamera with a 2/3" chip and 4K resolution. These camera's are usually used in broadcast environments. Why would you need 4K for that? There are no 4K tv's in homes, nobody is broadcasting in 4K. Besides that the lowlight quality of such a camera would be horrendous. So many pixels packed onto such a small chip...

7. Collapse Details
    I Hope Sony is going to announce a release date for the 4K upgrade of the FS700 along with the price of the RAW recorder...

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    After the 8K demonstrations at the Olympics the 4k format is already being test broadcasted. If the consumers respond favorably to the 4k format the industry may ramp up production of 4K televisions , 4k cameras and may offer 4K broadcasting before the end of the year. The Panasonic HDC-Z10000 sensor already outputs 4K by pixel shifting so it could be modified to record 4K.

9. Collapse Details
    Last edited by flostro; 08-17-2012 at 05:10 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by androbot2084 View Post
    After the 8K demonstrations at the Olympics the 4k format is already being test broadcasted. If the consumers respond favorably to the 4k format the industry may ramp up production of 4K televisions , 4k cameras and may offer 4K broadcasting before the end of the year. The Panasonic HDC-Z10000 sensor already outputs 4K by pixel shifting so it could be modified to record 4K.

It took decade from test broadcasted to actual wide use of HD. Even about 20 years after I first heard about HD, not even 50% of the TV programs are in HD and I mean 720p or 1080i. So big optimism on your part. Until now, I don't see one people complaining about the 2k cinema output around me and I guest 99% of viewers would not see any big benefit. Even if for me the move from SD to 1080p is a dramatic improvement, I guess we will see diminishing returns from 1080p to 4k and most Joe consumer will be caring more about food shelter for his family with the global recession slow down of the economy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast