Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    When comparing the Olympics which is traditionally broadcasted at interlace 1440x540i versus 4K which is 3840x2160p progressive scan at 60 to 120 frames per second I think there is going to be a dramatic difference in picture quality. Even if I only had a 1080p television I would still get 3 times the picture quality with that 4k signal going into my TV. People are getting tired of interlace artifacts and HD light broadcasting and are looking for the real high definition.

And as far a Joe consumer. If he can get 4K over the air for free he won't even need a job.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by androbot2084 View Post
    People are getting tired of interlace artifacts and HD light broadcasting and are looking for the real high definition.
    Not saying that 4K wouldn't be an upgrade from HD, but I will say that, outside of a select group of home theatre enthusiasts talking shop online, I've never heard anyone make this complaint in my life. This is def not an issue for typical consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by androbot2084 View Post
    And as far a Joe consumer. If he can get 4K over the air for free he won't even need a job.
    Unless he wants a way to actually pay for his $30,000 4K TV. Oh, and his food, housing, utilities, etc.
    Cinematographer | Camera Op | Occasional Director
    Currently Shooting "Expedition Unknown" on Travel Channel
    IATSE Local 600

Twitter: @BrianCWeed

3. Collapse Details
    The consumer votes with his/her wallet. 75% of entertainment dollars spent on media, are still spent on standard-def DVD; blu-ray only gets 25%.

I don't see any mass consumer outpouring of demand for 4K HDTVs any time soon.

According to Broadcast Engineering, in a survey done of 40 countries, HDTV penetration is only at about 26% right now. Obviously it's higher in America, but around the globe only 1/4 of the households even have an HDTV. They're expecting a big push in adoption rates of HDTV by 2016. But ... that's HDTV, not 4K, and that's four years from now. So if 4KTV were to become a reality, when would it be a viable market? 2025?

4. Collapse Details
    Barry, I think you're right. BTW, 4K could actually be a transitional format. Kind of like HD1 720 was. The new 8K frame size could be fleshed out enough to be practical by the time the next upgrade cycle happens full force.

It seems like skipping a generation is often the way these things go. 4K may wind up being the Windows 98/Vista of formats.
    Jan vs Jim... I'm putting my $ on the Jersey Girl.

5. Collapse Details
    Ok, this totally went of in the wrong direction - well not for you guys obviously, but for why I started it;)
    With "handlecam" I refer to HVX style camcorders. Donīt know if this is the common term, but I use it since DVX days.
    Anyways, I was just wondering, if one of the big two would go for a "standard" HD (no need for 4K yet) FIXED LENS camcorder, with a chip bigger than whatīs currently out there (EX1).
    Actually, I just want the HPX250 with the AG101 sensor;)
    I just like the idea of having a "just grab it and shoot" camera - at least for anything else than cinematic narrative stuff.

Edit: Anyone remember the first RED concept of 3k for 3k? Iīd still buy 2k for 3k in an instant ;)
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I LIKE FOOD. FOOD IS GOOD.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Edit: Anyone remember the first RED concept of 3k for 3k? Iīd still buy 2k for 3k in an instant ;)
    yes.

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    How about a 4k junior format?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12