Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Just finished watching them all, and yours was my favorite AJ! Beautiful imagery, great use of music (so cool that you could use the Moby tracks), and terrific lead.

Even though there wasn't much of a traditional story, it kept me completely hooked from start to finish. So I can't really make any complaints in that department. The only (very) minor quibble would be that the narration was a little rushed at times. But overall I was really impressed by it.

Great job man, congrats.

2. Collapse Details
    Nice job man! I loved the camerawork, narrative, and overall style of the film... The one thing about it is……. I feel its just in the wrong fest. I guess when I think "war" I think of a bigger conflict. The only thing about war that was mentioned was when she said its a war inside her mind. But not enough to really make me think of one.

Other than that, I think its a fantastically well put together film, specially considering how fast you managed to get it done.
    in my top 5

3. Collapse Details
    This was indeed a nice narrative. Some very special shots included. Very nicely crafted in all respects. Warfest? Im not 100% sold on that point.

EDIT: My original post still stands as written above. Wanted to clarify however, may be my point was poorly worded - it should read more along the lines that I didnt see her inner conflict as a "war" as such. It is very open to people's individual interpretation. "Theres a war inside my head" etc etc. For me I guess conflict doesn't necessarily equate to war.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

4. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Shawn Philip Nelson's Avatar
    Oh I think it's definitely war fest, it's the conflict of the mind to remember that which is important versus that which is trivial. I've wondered why I remember stupid things but not the important things. Like I remember small embarrassments that don't mean anything, or what someone said about a shirt I wore, and have no memory of my son's first steps.

AJ, great short. i love that you went high experimental. You could have probably done with less narration, but it's kinda cool that you went full tilt Malick ;-). The only thing I think didn't work was her breaking the 4th wall, it felt jarring and I'm not sure what was gained by it. But that's such a minor quibble it's ridiculous. Short review: you hit it out of the park.
    Formerly user 'shawneous'.

"Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid."
    -Michel Gondry

5. Collapse Details
    Shawn, I'm gonna go with you absolutely on the inclusion-in-this-fest bit; I think this absolutely belongs and is wonderfully styled; but I also am gonna have to disagree with the 4th wall usage... how jarring it was (and it WAS) made the film for me -- the whole thing felt (rightfully, I think) as if we the user were inside her mind, jumping here to there, seeing but not seeing, sometimes sense sometimes abstract, and the inclusion of "us" at the end was a really nifty trick in my book. Awesome job!!

6. Collapse Details
    It was a pleasure working with AJ as always. Great project to be involved with.

I really enjoyed our use of filtration on this film- for those that want to know here is what we did:

House Shots: Nothing
    At The Tree, Street, Park: Rear Netting- 1 layer of Fogal Nobeless Noir Pantyhose (Plus the proper amounts of ND)
    At the grave yard: Rear Netting- 2 layers of Fogal Nobeless Noir Pantyhose + 1/2 Hollywood Black Magic (Plus the proper amounts of ND)

Shot on the T3i with the stock lens, and we also used a 70-300mm.

Lighting: All planned around specific parts of the day to shoot. We mostly used bounces and negative fills. For the interior house stuff we use 1x 201 Diva that I bounced off the ceiling.

In regards to it fitting into WarFest, AJ and I talked about this as we worked on this project. We both knew that there would most likely be some blow back / disagreement from people. But I support AJ, and think that this does fall in the category. Is it traditional? Nope. But that is exactly what I like about it- war happens on many more levels then just what is obvious. In addition to her mentioning that she is fighting to retain the memories she wants, there is a whole scene of the two memories doing battle with each other and one wins out. I'm glad that not all of the stories told for this contest are traditional on the nose stories about war. But that is just my $0.02 anyway ...
    Last edited by Ryan E. Walters; 08-19-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the ND filtration
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com - Tutorials - IMDB - Twitter - REEL
    Specializing in Digital Cinematography

"Too often people get caught up in the technical end of things ... They are missing the point completely. This way there is no proper input of individual personality." Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

Whirlpool GC5SHAXVS / WFW9400SZ / GFE471LVS / GU3600XTVY / GH7208XRS / WFW9400SZ / WED9750WW / GLS3665RS / and on back order, but expected in soon MTKS-230-C

7. Collapse Details
    I similarly tried to go with an implied "war" theme. I liked how out of the box this was. I enjoyed the story and cinematography of this one. I think I actually said "Wow, I liked that one." out load when it was done.

8. Collapse Details
    Imagery was absolutely beautiful. Love the shot of her in the bathroom with the water between her fingers. And with such an abstract concept, you did a surprisingly great job of concretely telling the narrative. Overall, I much preferred the last two minutes or so (basically starting when the music changes) to the first half. It built really nicely to a compelling ending. Another beautiful short to add to your past DVX entries.
    A couple critiques: Didn't love the shots in the kitchen. Not exactly sure, but they fell short for me cinematically compared to the rest. I can't say that I felt like I understood it fully after the first watch.
    As for the question of whether or not this short belongs in the fest, I'm not sold on its inclusion in Warfest. Although the main character mentions her mind at "war" and "peace," I didn't feel like that manifested itself in the narrative. The war theme for me implies two opposing sides with vested interests in overcoming the other, and besides that one sequence between the two guys under the bridge (I think that's what the location was), I didn't feel like the thoughts were actually fighting -- the main character was just confused about the mechanics of her mind and memory. Anyway, ramble over. Congrats on thinking outside the box.

9. Collapse Details
    Had fun working a little bit on this one and I thank you for showing me how nice my camera can look! It's always fun to watch you and Ryan work together.

10. Collapse Details
    This was very skilfully put together, and some of the shots had stunning composition.
    It's hard to be too fussy on wether it qualifies or not when non-qualifying would mean not seeing such a cool piece.
    Mad props fellas.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast