Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I really enjoyed this AJ. Some very nice images, I liked the use of the shelves/pockets as representations of her memories. She had a strong screen presence, something about her and who's going to complain about that shot of her in the bedroom ;)

2. Collapse Details
    Interesting film AJ. I tried this back in 'Betrayal Fest 2010' for a big FAIL....I'm sure you'll do much better.
    Cheers.

3. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    I'm going to try and review all the films so I figured I would start with the regulars first.

Nice work on getting another film done, AJ. I figured this one was going to be much more on the artistic side based on the poster alone.
    I have no issue with that, but even an artistic film could manage to hit the theme of the fest a little harder. I didn't feel the theme in this one at all, aside from spoken exposition in the VO. I did love the look of it, however I would have liked just a bit more movement in the shots as many of them were pretty static, but I'm sure that was more of a personal choice.

I did like the parts with the homeless guy and the creepy dude in the park but I just felt it got very slow after that.
    Loved the score.

All in all it was a good film and I'm sure you'll do well.

Cheers!

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

4. Collapse Details
    Wow!!! I loved it.

5. Collapse Details
    As always, if you haven't seen this short yet, please stop reading this post as there are SPOILERS throughout.

What I liked: The narration. She did a fantastic job on it. I really felt the emotion in what she was saying. There was depth to it. I assume it was the actress, who did fantastic as well. Specific lines really hit me: "...yet I can't remember my grandmother's face," and "...that all these spaces were you." I don't think that I need to go into the cinematography at all. You always are on top of the game on that. Every aspect, technically, was wonderful. I know that this was experimental, but it was a fantastic piece (as I stated before).

What I didn't like as much: The homeless guy scene struggled a little for me. Maybe because he didn't say anything, and it felt forced. There's a shot where she looks at a feather, and then another shot of the same thing from a different angle. I'm not sure why this seem so strange to me (the angle change ... roughly 3:25), but that's nitpicking.

Question: What does the title mean? I don't get it. Are there 77 spaces in that "memory" box?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk Teflon View Post
    Question: What does the title mean? I don't get it. Are there 77 spaces in that "memory" box?
    77 is just an arbitrary number, and yes it is the number of spaces she has available to remember things that are important to her. I picked the number because it looks and sounds nice with the repetition.

It was either that or 69

AJ Brooks - Writer / Director

7. Collapse Details
    Heh. That would have been a completely different entry, I think.

8. Collapse Details
    Really great job with the narration. The visuals were great. I love the shot from inside the kitchen cabinet and the bathroom close up. The tattoo reveal was nice as well.

On the first watch I had a hard time getting past the good vs evil guys. Just too obvious and having them battle with invisible weapons just lost me. Second watch didnt bother me as much, but without them I feel this would have been stronger. Feels like it could have been shortened a bit, felt like some disconnected shots in there.

I really love that you went way further out then any of us. Ive only competed twice but have watched many of your entries and love them every time.

9. Collapse Details
    I really liked this short and its interpretation of War. It was very experimental but I just liked that on this fest. I didn't totally understand the use of the homeless guy and the creepy guy in the greater context, but with it being experimental I tend to roll with it. It was extremely well shot and I liked the use of close-ups and softer shots.. The actress also did a very good job and the narration worked very well. I also really like the choice of music on this one.

10. Collapse Details
    First film to watch this fest.

Favorite Thing: the whispered narration. That was a strong and unusual choice, especially since it was only used for a specific section of the film. It would have lost it's powerful quality if used throughout, but when it came in, it shocked me in just the right way.

Least Favorite Thing: the skin. I'm no prude, but in a short that comments on a peeping Tom with a camera, it seemed unintentionally ironic. I mean, wouldn't it make more sense for her to discover the tattoo while removing her shirt? I just think anytime someone cuts to a girl in her underwear, I immediately feel like I'm watching a Michael Bay movie.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast