Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Advice purchasing HMI lights
    I want to invest in HMI lighting. My budget is around $10,000. My options so far are these:

-Buy used lights from this place http://www.secondwindstaging.com/ I have considered the LTM 1.2k for $4,500, a joker bug 400w for $3,500 and the 6k strand with magnetic ballast for $2,199.

-Buy two 1.2Ks and one 575w from cool lights.

Does anyone have any experience with secondwindstaging? Please let me know your opinions about buying used HMIs. Cool lights seems like a good option, problem is I donīt know of anybody using them and canīt seem to find any information or videos of them in use. The 5 minute wait for restrike is something I donīt like... but could overlook if the light is of good quality.

I donīt live in the US or anywhere near a rental house, so renting is out of the question for me.

Your thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated!

2. Collapse Details
    Just curious, if you don't live near a rental house or in the US. How are you planning to power these bigger HMI's? Do you have access to generators that will get you enough power?

I haven't dealt with these guys before, but all these lights seem like they would be fine purchases. The magnetic ballast and the 6k are just the ones that worry me the most...If you want to shoot things off speed at all you'll run into issues with the magnetic ballast, not to mention the fact that they're just much more of a pain in the butt than the electronic ones.

I'd rather have an LTM and a joker in my kit than the cool lights versions. A lot more versatile and much more widely accepted as the industry standard.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the response Ryan! Most of the lights mentioned above, I believe would work fine on any 15 amp circuit. To use the 6k I guess a tie in (done by a professional electrician) would be needed, I'm pretty sure it's legal here.

When you say the magnetic ballast is a pain, do you mean because of the restricted shutter speeds? Or do they need some kind of regular maintenance or something like that?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanT View Post
    Just curious, if you don't live near a rental house or in the US. How are you planning to power these bigger HMI's? Do you have access to generators that will get you enough power?

I haven't dealt with these guys before, but all these lights seem like they would be fine purchases. The magnetic ballast and the 6k are just the ones that worry me the most...If you want to shoot things off speed at all you'll run into issues with the magnetic ballast, not to mention the fact that they're just much more of a pain in the butt than the electronic ones.

I'd rather have an LTM and a joker in my kit than the cool lights versions. A lot more versatile and much more widely accepted as the industry standard.

1.2s can live off of 15amp circuits fine, in most cases. Unless your ballast hates you.

But I do agree, Cool lights are terrible and NOT a good investment. You might as well buy a beat up truck painted new from the 80s, because it will only last you (if lucky) a few months.
    First time I work with one, ballast decides to flip out and destroy a bulb. Expensive bulb.

Now buying used and old HMIs is the same problem, but I'm sure SecondWind wouldnt sell equipment with hidden issues

5. Collapse Details
    Cinematography/Lighting Mod Ryan Patrick O'Hara's Avatar
    I've moved this from Cinematography to Lighting. However, I've left the links as expiring re-directs for three days. I hope you get some great responses!

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

6. Collapse Details
    Ricky, thanks for the headsup with the cool lights.

Is there any test (besides switching them on) I could perform on the used HMIs before purchasing? Is there anything specific I should be on the lookout for?

7. Collapse Details
    Many HMI's have an hour meter.

8. Collapse Details
    As far as used goes... it just depends.

My HMI's were used on Little House On The Prairie and they still work fine.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyC View Post

But I do agree, Cool lights are terrible and NOT a good investment. You might as well buy a beat up truck painted new from the 80s, because it will only last you (if lucky) a few months.
    First time I work with one, ballast decides to flip out and destroy a bulb. Expensive bulb.
    Hi, sorry to hear of your experience. Whose Cool Lights HMI did you use, what model was it and when was this incident. Don't recall a report of a problem like this.
    Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - Site Sponsor
    Epic X #2392 - Skype "coolvideolights"

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Seow View Post
    -Buy two 1.2Ks and one 575w from cool lights.

Please let me know your opinions about buying used HMIs. Cool lights seems like a good option, problem is I donīt know of anybody using them and canīt seem to find any information or videos of them in use. The 5 minute wait for restrike is something I donīt like... but could overlook if the light is of good quality.
    We have two lines of metal halide fixtures. CDM (5 minute wait to restrike and that is a 70w and 150w unit) and HMI (traditional hot restart no wait to restrike, 575 and 1200w units).

We do have customers that have both types on this board, as far as I can tell, none have chimed in here yet and they may not frequent this forum every day.
    Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - Site Sponsor
    Epic X #2392 - Skype "coolvideolights"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast