Thread: War Games

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60
  1. Collapse Details
    #21
    Senior Member Egg Born Son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    1,538
    Default
    Would love a brief breakdown of some of the things you did to build that set. I'm particularly interested in the brickwork and whether those pipes are found objects, PVC or a combination (surely the valves are the real deal?...)


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #22
    Member Zach Olson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    89
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynchenstein View Post
    Whoa - just re-read! That's a set?!? Wow. Very nice work indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    Looking good. Geat job on that set!
    Quote Originally Posted by conlanforever View Post
    Cool BTS pics. Wow! Set looks great.
    Thanks everyone!


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #23
    Member Zach Olson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    89
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Philip Nelson View Post
    good grief zach, that looks amazing! maybe you should be a set designer/decorator :-)
    Haha, thanks! Funny you say that because I just learned that my cousin is a set builder on Grimm!


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #24
    Member Zach Olson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    89
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Born Son View Post
    Would love a brief breakdown of some of the things you did to build that set. I'm particularly interested in the brickwork and whether those pipes are found objects, PVC or a combination (surely the valves are the real deal?...)
    Because I am using my brother's warehouse I stapled cardboard to the walls so cleanup would be easy and his walls would stay clean. For the bricks/old concrete look I bought a couple of 5 gallon buckets of all purpose joint compound (Home Depot, $11.75) and plastered the wall with a thin layer. I then went back over it with a 4" trowel, putting plenty of mud on at a time, and forced the mud to squeeze out the top. I did that for every layer and periodically would stop to add a vertical line of mud. After it dried I painted it with a base of grey. I then took black spray paint and hit it with a light mist. I did the same with a dark brown but only in some areas. I also took a little bit of wet mud (not quite muddy water) and used a paint roller to apply just a small amount here and there for accents. Around any of the electrical boxes and other things I added a little more black and brown spray paint for shadow and dirt buildup.

    The pipes are a combination or steal, PVC, and cardboard tubes. All of the long pipes you see are cardboard tubes painted a rusty brown. I then took a BBQ scrubber and lightly dipped it in a rusty orange paint, and dabbed that on top. Next came a mist of black spray paint. After I had things in place I took a spritzer bottle and lightly sprayed things with water immediately followed by blowing dust onto every wet surface.

    The big 90 degree on the ground to wall is real, the 4" T with the valve on it is real but the pipe on top of that is cardboard. On the 'fake' wall is a 8" 90 PVC, painted. The other valve in the middle of the 4" vertical length in the corner is real but again the pipe is not.

    Hope the explanation wasn't too long...

    I will try to post some pictures that I took while building the set soon.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #25
    Senior Member Egg Born Son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    1,538
    Default
    Not too long at all, thanks for sharing in such detail. Well worth the effort, the final effect is great. The only reason I even doubted it was real was because it was too good (and the lack of a ceiling). Looking forward to seeing what you did with it.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #26
    Member Zach Olson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    89
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Born Son View Post
    Not too long at all, thanks for sharing in such detail. Well worth the effort, the final effect is great. The only reason I even doubted it was real was because it was too good (and the lack of a ceiling). Looking forward to seeing what you did with it.
    Just posted some pics I took while building it, thanks again!


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #27
    Senior Member ZazaCast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    8,085
    Default
    WOW... it's going to be a shame to break that all down. Great job & thanks for the detail!
    (I have to build a set in the next few months and this is a great help)

    Back in the day, the festival film threads used to be a production blog of sorts and a wealth of information. I only wish it would get back to that.
    These days (with a few exceptions) is seems to be all about the 'surprize, last minute' entry and no information about the production process...learning experience lost.

    Thanks again and if you feel like posting more info. on the production...I for one will be following the thread.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #28
    Senior Member Chris Messineo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,183
    Default
    That set is amazing and inspiring - it makes me want to build something cool like that too!


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #29
    Senior Member Lynchenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria-BC-Canada
    Posts
    181
    Default
    Me too... but the wife just won't have it in the living room. I've asked.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.



    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #30
    Senior Member Shawn Philip Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,227
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Olson View Post
    Haha, thanks! Funny you say that because I just learned that my cousin is a set builder on Grimm!
    Wow!! You never ran into him in all the days you were on set? Did he have any hand in any of the sets we were at this weekend?
    Formerly user 'shawneous'.

    "Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid."
    -Michel Gondry


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •