Thread: War Games

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    Knight of the Holy Order krestofre's Avatar
    The set you built was really top notch. It looked great on camera and were it not for the behind the scenes posts I never would have believed that it was built and not found. Excellent work.

My critiques of the film have already been said in earlier posts. Some sound design during the fight would have given the whole film a much greater overall impact.

Thanks for entering the fest. I enjoyed watching your film.
    Chris Johnson

2. Collapse Details
    Everything has been covered...set was KILLER....I loved the opening set-up....over the head crane shot....fighting could be cut tighter and needed sound design.
    The film left me wanting more and that's a good thing. Very well done!

Congrats to cast & crew.

3. Collapse Details
    Last film I got to watch, so most of my critique has already been stated.

It looked great, kudos on staging a fight scene. I'd expect it's scary trying something like that and trying to make it look realistic and for the most part it worked.

The dialogue was a little stiff at times. I really didn't have anything personal invested in anyone character so it probably lacked some of the dramatic punch or tension it may have had otherwise.

The set looked great. I liked the moving shot through the warehouse. Nice. Overall I enjoyed your film.

I like the setup and reversal.
    the writer formerly known as "Conlan Forever"

Need a short script?
    Have an idea? Want to collaborate? Contact me.

screenwriter75@yahoo.com

4. Collapse Details
    Nice job Zach! I really enjoyed the opening scene, especially using the drain as a transition instead of just cutting...really nice touch.

The thing that held me back the most was the Interrogator. He seemed a bit too stiff for that particualar role...not entirely believable.

Small gripe aside I really enjoyed the whole thing. Good luck!

5. Collapse Details
    Good work dude!

Opening shot, very cool.

Set was very ambitious and you pulled it off well.

I'd like to see it pushed farther, as in the bad guys being even more nasty so that way the switch is a bigger payoff.

Solid work. Glad you made it!

AJ Brooks - Writer / Director

6. Collapse Details
    Good opening shot and excellant set. A little sound design would have helped.

7. Collapse Details
    As always, here's a SPOILER-Y review.

I haven't read previous comments, so please disregard duplication:

What I liked: The set. From the first shot of the dam, to the inside single sweep of everything moving around, it really built it up. The lead was pretty solid. Very good acting. REALLY like the shot into the room. Looked really nice. I really liked the close on this one. Well done.

What I didn't like as much: I think the sound design could use some work. The audio in the fight fell flat, and it felt too choreographed. I know it was, but it felt like it was. I didn't feel pain when he was hit or fell. It felt a bit cushioned to me. The first shot of the handcuffs seemed out of place, too.

Overall, good short.

8. Collapse Details
    Loved how this short delivered us a situation we could understand instantaneously - the torture/death scene we've all seen so many times before - but then took it somewhere new. A simple idea but fun and well executed!! Would've liked to have known more about who was good and who was bad, or to somehow be told cinematically that it didn't matter. Good job!!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Messineo View Post
    As expected, your set was awesome! It really helped create a cool mood and atmosphere.

Awesome opening shot. Very cool idea and I thought you pulled it off really well as we moved through that warehouse.

This was an ambitious short, lots of action and fighting. I think if you cut it a bit tighter, more angles and shorter cuts, it will pack more punch.

Best of luck in the Fest!
    Quote Originally Posted by taylormade View Post
    Echo most of the above. I thought the fight lacked impact. The actors were moving too slowly and the cutting and SFX needed to be ramped up. The fight needed intensity and it just wasn't there.

Great job on the set, costumes and props.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew B View Post
    Nice one Zach. Just to echo everyone else, your production design was phenomenal. Opening shot was cool. Sound needs a few tweaks and there were some slight continuity issues with the blood, but no big deal. Overal a solid entry.
    Quote Originally Posted by krestofre View Post
    The set you built was really top notch. It looked great on camera and were it not for the behind the scenes posts I never would have believed that it was built and not found. Excellent work.

My critiques of the film have already been said in earlier posts. Some sound design during the fight would have given the whole film a much greater overall impact.

Thanks for entering the fest. I enjoyed watching your film.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    Everything has been covered...set was KILLER....I loved the opening set-up....over the head crane shot....fighting could be cut tighter and needed sound design.
    The film left me wanting more and that's a good thing. Very well done!

Congrats to cast & crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Moore View Post
    Last film I got to watch, so most of my critique has already been stated.

It looked great, kudos on staging a fight scene. I'd expect it's scary trying something like that and trying to make it look realistic and for the most part it worked.

The dialogue was a little stiff at times. I really didn't have anything personal invested in anyone character so it probably lacked some of the dramatic punch or tension it may have had otherwise.

The set looked great. I liked the moving shot through the warehouse. Nice. Overall I enjoyed your film.

I like the setup and reversal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan P. Kelly View Post
    Nice job Zach! I really enjoyed the opening scene, especially using the drain as a transition instead of just cutting...really nice touch.

The thing that held me back the most was the Interrogator. He seemed a bit too stiff for that particualar role...not entirely believable.

Small gripe aside I really enjoyed the whole thing. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Brooks View Post
    Good work dude!

Opening shot, very cool.

Set was very ambitious and you pulled it off well.

I'd like to see it pushed farther, as in the bad guys being even more nasty so that way the switch is a bigger payoff.

Solid work. Glad you made it!
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBinSD View Post
    Good opening shot and excellant set. A little sound design would have helped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk Teflon View Post
    As always, here's a SPOILER-Y review.

I haven't read previous comments, so please disregard duplication:

What I liked: The set. From the first shot of the dam, to the inside single sweep of everything moving around, it really built it up. The lead was pretty solid. Very good acting. REALLY like the shot into the room. Looked really nice. I really liked the close on this one. Well done.

What I didn't like as much: I think the sound design could use some work. The audio in the fight fell flat, and it felt too choreographed. I know it was, but it felt like it was. I didn't feel pain when he was hit or fell. It felt a bit cushioned to me. The first shot of the handcuffs seemed out of place, too.

Overall, good short.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemanrocks View Post
    Loved how this short delivered us a situation we could understand instantaneously - the torture/death scene we've all seen so many times before - but then took it somewhere new. A simple idea but fun and well executed!! Would've liked to have known more about who was good and who was bad, or to somehow be told cinematically that it didn't matter. Good job!!
    Notes for me: Sound design, tighter cuts, badder bad guys. I also gathered that having a little bit more before the KO kick at the end would have helped. Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback!

10. Collapse Details
    Everyone liked the opening sequence, I wasn't too fond of it because it took a whole minute before anything happened. This is a "war fest" and seeing guys prep for war in a 6 minute short film, well, it's not going to bode over well for any "paying audience" and that's just my opinion.

Guy hit on head with a "metal" wrench. Now, unless the attackers is a sissy, that hit should have knocked him out cold as well as given him a huge gash, cut the skin open, etc.

Fight scenes, eh. Looked so rehearsed and slow. I didn't care about the outcome. I wasn't emotionally invested. Sorry, didn't do it for me. Film is more than building a really cool set. It's about the story! Don't get lost in set design and forget to add a story with conflict/drama.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456