1. Collapse Details
    Meta Data help, please. (Have the AF-100 book, still need help)
    Hello all. It's been a while.

I am currently in Costa Rica on a job about to start shooting tomorrow.

I would like to use Metadata to organize my clips. I am encountering a few issues.

1.) The software recommended by Barry does not support 64bit operating system (Windows). So I am using the manual method, creating a text file and saving it in this directory on the SD Card: /PRIVATE/MEIGROUP/PAVCN/SBG/P2SD which seems to work when I insert it into the camera.

My question is how do I utilize the metadata once it's been recorded onto the clips? Where do I see it?

I'm editing using Sony Vegas 11. pro.

Am I not doing something right when I record the footage?

Thank you all. I hope you are well.

2. Collapse Details
    Hey guys, I'm sorry if this is an obvious question but I do need help. This is a community designed to help users of the Panasonic camera, AF-100 successors, right? Why the freeze out? Can someone offer some helpful advice, please?

Thank you.

3. Collapse Details
    I wouldnt take the absence of a reply as a freeze out and its maybe a lack of knowledge in this area. Personally I use Vegas Pro V10 and have no need for the meta data. The sequential clip numbers are fine for my purpose but if you can explain what information you need I will try and help.

Steve

4. Collapse Details
    Thank you. Yes I agree that editing without metadata is relatively simple. I was just hoping to utilize it on this trip. However, now that I'm well into photography, it doesn't really matter.

What I found is that the program AVCCAM Viewer doesn't work on a 64bit system. So how does one actually view the data? If you figure out how to create the data, how do you view it?

5. Collapse Details
    Try a PM to Barry with a link to this thread? Even if it's too late for this shoot, sounds like it's info you (and others, I imagine) would like to have for your workflow.

6. Collapse Details
    How were you trying to use metadata on your shoot?

ie what was your particular requirement for metadata.

From what I determined when I investigated metadata and the AF100...it is not a process that would be practical while shooting for every scene or take. Maybe once for each card or once per day ...but at clip level...forget about it.
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

7. Collapse Details
    Shooter,

My plan was to create Metadata for each day the night before, so if we were going to film at Location A, I would write, Location A, Take 00. etc. I've shot my entire career just using thumbnails and my own memory of the shoot to edit, so that's what I'll do for this one. It's kind of a big project so I was hoping to be a little more organized, but I'll be okay.

My question is, once uploaded to the card and the camera and then recorded back onto the footage, how do you actually view and sort and utilize the meta data? Can I go into Sony Vegas and search for, "Location B, take 002" and it will find it. Is it in the actual file name? I just don't get that part.

8. Collapse Details
    Sorry - I dont know how Vegas handles metadata.

Personally..I would (and actually do) manage my "rushes" from the card into the backup drive via a Folder naming protocol. eg Day1 Loc1 Rushes
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

9. Collapse Details
    Tyrant, I don't know vegas, but I spent a full week when I first got the af100 trying to get the meta data to work in a useful way for me, and It turned out to be completely futile. I did eventually get the meta data to work on the card, but it was completely useless to me and my FCP workflow as none of the meta data was used by FCP. In all my digging around in forums I've never come across a single user who utelized metadata in some practical way. YMMV.

I'd recommend a folder structure based organization as shooter did. Have a look at Shotput Pro as an automated offloading solution. It's a great piece of software for organizing and automating offloads.

10. Collapse Details
    Alright. This is what I expected. Thanks, guys. I will proceed as usual. Cheers.