Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks Ulisses. I've heard a lot about the missing features, but you gotta think Apple knows they gotta make this right,
    unless they really are leaning toward abandoning the Pro Market. Hope that is not the case.

2. Collapse Details
    Joe, you can download free trials of NLEs if that might help you decide.
    Myself, I'm on Premiere CS5 (soon to upgrade to 6) on a Mac.
    Best of luck.

3. Collapse Details
    Chuck - yeah, done that in the past. Problem with looking at each NLE option is I don't really
    know (being the newbee I am) how to be critical regarding choices just yet. And in talking
    with folks like yourself, there really isn't a bad choice so much as its a commitment to be
    made. All things being ideal, I would love to have a swell of people saying "this is the way
    to go". Easier said then done, once again. Thanks

4. Collapse Details
    VLC automatically sizes the window to match the resolution, which MPLayerX does not. However, MPLayerX will play hacked GH2 footage that VLC chokes on, which, I guess, is not a problem for the AF100. If you have not used any NLE before, like me a year ago, FCPX is much more intuitive, and does everything needed for the individual filmmaker. I ran the trial versions of Premiere and Sony Vegas (runs only on Bootcamp), and I hated them both. However, the people who produce complex projects with shared storage on SAN's or originate on tape very much do not like FCPX. I suspect that by the time you reach that level, that FCPX will have caught up.

5. Collapse Details
    FCPX catching up by the time I need all the complex stuff was my thinking too.
    You just don't know - wishing Apple would just go public with some kinda
    statement about just what the heck they're thinking is on this whole thing....Not
    holding my breath. Thanks Curtis

6. Collapse Details
    Joe,
    I spent 10 years on FCP and it started to look like Apple was going to pretty much abandon pro-apps altogether. Well, that's another debate.
    I switched to Premier, actually CS5.5 Production Premium which gives you some amazing tools including After Effects and Photoshop, etc. Lot's of great tutorials on creativecow.net and lynda.com. I'm pretty happy with the switch and am still very happy with the AF-100. Premier brings in AVCHD mts files natively without transcoding first.
    www.markwelch.tv
    AF-100, CPM Sidewinder shoulder mount, Nikon 50mm, 35-70 f.2.8, Nikon 50-300 f4, Lumix 20 mm f1.7, 14-140 f4, Lectrosonics, Sound Devices Pix 240, Sound Devices MixPre, Arri lighting, Cobra dolly.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks OKCPicker. I'm am leaning toward Premier. I'm on an I7 Imac (32 gb RAM) and remember a comment by one of the AF100 members regarding the need for a more robust Video card in Premiers CS6. Have you noticed this to be a factor?

8. Collapse Details
    Yes it would help if the iMac had a more suitable graphics card. I'm cutting on 5 year old iMac with only 8 gigs of ram and it does suffer. Used to it though. It will be great when I finally upgrade. Thinking seriously of a ProMac this time.
    Still on CS 5.5
    www.markwelch.tv
    AF-100, CPM Sidewinder shoulder mount, Nikon 50mm, 35-70 f.2.8, Nikon 50-300 f4, Lumix 20 mm f1.7, 14-140 f4, Lectrosonics, Sound Devices Pix 240, Sound Devices MixPre, Arri lighting, Cobra dolly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12