Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Who attends the rehearsals?
    I'm interested to hear who typically attends the rehearsals with the actors. Just the director or writer and producer also? I can see how having anyone other than the director may cause issues.

Thx.

2. Collapse Details
    Depends on the size of the production. But for small low budget films, I would say ther director, dp, and it depends as to whether the scene needs blocked, and who is involved, maybe even the production designer. It all depends on who will be involved in a given scene.

3. Collapse Details
    Senior Member gonzo_entertainment's Avatar
    What rehearsals....
    We never rehearse, neither do a lot of other directors. Others rehearse intensely, so like most things it all depends.

4. Collapse Details
    Well we're rehearsing because we have limited time at the location which we can't get the actors to before hand so really it's more of a blocking exercise and ensuring they're prepared. Ok, so what about table readings?

5. Collapse Details
    Rehearsal for a wedding? Usually only if I have not shot at the venue before.

6. Collapse Details
    For the table read (when we do one), it's director, AD, and talent. Though sometimes we'll use the opportunity for the Makeup Artists to get a few minutes with each actor.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo_entertainment View Post
    What rehearsals....
    We never rehearse, neither do a lot of other directors. Others rehearse intensely, so like most things it all depends.
    Why would you not rehearse, or even do a table read?
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    Why would you not rehearse, or even do a table read?
    We do usually do a table read a couple weeks before the shoot and I use that as input for the final dialogue rewrite. If it's a large cast that table read may only include one or two primary characters not the whole cast. This is my opportunity to correct a situation where an actor is just coming from the totally wrong place.

I just think rehearsal is not worth the time and effort it takes. I discuss the character with each actor in pre-production, they come on set knowing their lines, we walk through it once for blocking, and then we're rolling.

9. Collapse Details
    And for your size and type of productions, gonzo, that's probably a great way to go.

Obviously the choice to rehearse or not depends on a lot of factors including the story being told, actors involved, age of the actors, experience of the actors, genre, required stunts/skills, complex blocking, etc. One size doesn't fit all.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Snazzy Flapper View Post
    And for your size and type of productions, gonzo, that's probably a great way to go.

Obviously the choice to rehearse or not depends on a lot of factors including the story being told, actors involved, age of the actors, experience of the actors, genre, required stunts/skills, complex blocking, etc. One size doesn't fit all.
    Agree.
    Though there are certainly established larger budget directors who shun the idea of rehearsal because they don't what the scene to come off as "rehearsed".

Plenty of things like complicated fight choreography where you are 100% right , I'd absolutely want it well rehearsed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast