Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    uploading a video to kickstarter
    Hey folks,
    OK - so literally a week went down the drain trying to upload a video to kickstarter.
    I tried over a hundred variations of compressions. Wrote to kickstarter "wtf?" waiting to hear back
    the file max for kickstarter is 500mb.
    I have fcp x from a new i mac - 10.7.4 - using compressor - and any file i make above 200mb it chokes. Ive used compressor and also fcpx just making a quik time file.
    kickstarter says it like h264 and kbps to be at least 1500 or mbps to 1.5 at least - did that- i did every variation i could think of.
    I uploaded the vids from my desktop as someone suggested vs from external harddrive - ng.
    anyway - 200mb and below just looks like garbage.
    Any suggestions - most appreciated.

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    What is the frame size, frame rate, and duration of your original video?

3. Collapse Details
    Hi BenB
    its a quiktime movie
    4:32 in length
    659.47 mb
    h264 1920x1080 frame rate 23.976
    of course I always shrink the file down when uploading.
    all it says from kickstarter is "try another file - file ng." Nothing more then that it says. If the file is too long for instance it rejects it right away. otherwise it loads - then at last minute says ng.

4. Collapse Details
    betb
    by the way - ive tried safari, chrome and firefox

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin baggott View Post
    of course I always shrink the file down when uploading.
    What do you mean by this? You said that Kickstarter doesn't accept files over 500MB, and that the export you are happy with (not sure why it needs to be 1080, when 720p or even SD would work pretty well for the window that Kickstarter displays video in) is 659.47MB. So what are you doing to get it under 500?

6. Collapse Details
    correction benb - just made a quick time file from the actual final cut session and it's 428mb - so it's actually shorter then the 500mb -
    ive heard that try and avoid compressor if you can - and just make the file from fcp x and drag that onto desktop and upload from there.
    So far no luck again today

7. Collapse Details
    hey gary
    yeah kickstarter max video file is 500mb.
    yeah ive tried 720p
    I was using the new compressor to bring that file size down.
    also would shrink the file in quik time after fcp x made a file for me - ng
    for some reason today when i made the file from fcpx into quik time the whole file was only 428mb
    so tried to upload that from desk top - ng.

8. Collapse Details
    I just tried this as well - someone had figured a problem out for themselves - "I figured it out. I had to go to Tools > Add-ons, which opens up the Add-ons Manager, then I had to go to Plugins and enable Shockwave Flash 11.1.102.63. Apparently, Kickstarter uses some form of Shockwave or Flash to upload their material. The more you know!"

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Not knowing exactly what settings you're doing and such, I'm going to say let's take a deep breath, relax, and perhaps simplify things. Try Methods 1, 2 and 3 here, see if they help. I have found in the past that taking the very simplified "consumer" route solved a few mysteries for me in the past. I'm not saying this will fix anything, but give it a shot and see what happens. Will take you all of ten minutes.
    http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final...ime-compressor

10. Collapse Details
    Hey Ben
    Really appreciate you taking the time out to figure this out - I had found the link you sent at the beginning of my journey on this whole affair and followed all the suggestions - ng.
    Not sure what the hell is going on. It's not my computer or the speed - I have a new vios internet. Again other files under 200mb load anything above 225 chokes. Hoping kickstarter writes back - no word yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast