1. Collapse Details
    Canon XA10 vs Sony NX30
    I am looking to get a camcorder and have narrowed down to these two. But as the Sony NX30 just came out, there doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews out there like there is for the XA10.

How would these two camera's compare with each other in terms of video quality and then also low light shooting? How does the Canon XA10 focus under low light? Does it struggle to find focus or does it handle it well? Is the Sony NX70 a good camera to compare the Sony NX30 to in terms of video quality, low light ability and focusing in low light?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Camcorder.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Camcorder.html

Sony NX30

Canon XA10

2. Collapse Details
    I'm waiting for my nx30 right now, B&H says 6/30. Suppose you'll hear a lot more then. As for the XA10, I owned one and liked it a lot, but I couldn't match the colors with my Sonys and the menu controls were frustrating. I've also used the Sony 760v (consumer version of NX30), and here are some thoughts on that one: 1) Extremely impressed by its low light performance compared to XA10 and even an EX1 (at full wide, it actually wins!). XA10 is good too but 760 maintains more detail IMO. Of course, once you zoom, you've closed down the lens and that performance vanishes. This is true of all these palm-sized camcorders. 2) Manual controls partly trapped in menus, like the XA10, and autofocus becomes unimpressive in lower lighting conditions (again like XA10). The wheel toward the lens barrel is pretty cool but controls just one function at a time. 3.) Sony zoom rocker is better than XA10. 4)In-cam "Balanced Optical Steadyshot" on the Sony 760 is remarkable but not as perfect as it is in the NX30 promos. There's a (optional) digital component that screws up frequently. I could approximate a Steadicam Merlin, however, when using a monopod as a weight. OS will deservedly be a big selling point for this camera, but there's definite room for improvement. (And yes, the OS is better than XA10.) In all both cams are great but I would choose a larger model as my primary.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks, this was helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I received my NX30 today and have just a couple things to add... I'm doing this quick so don't mind the ramble. As expected, this is largely the same consumer 760, so comments above stand.
    First, fully decked out, the NX30 is very heavy (and front heavy) for a palmsize camcorder. The built-in stereo mic is blocked by the large detachable lens hood, and the hood makes using the otherwise nice control dial more cramped. Other than timecode and additional formats like 1080 30p, there aren't any more adjustment options, such as picture controls, than there are on the consumer version.
    There is a very helpful option for 2x zoom while using manual focus (peaking still works during this). Didn't notice this feature on 760v. Also, the handle is built very well and uses a screw to mount to the accessory shoe. I wish the FS100 handle were so encouraging. However, there are no zoom/ start/ stop controls. The projector is silly but works well enough.
    In all, while stunted control scheme is a problem for all cameras of this size, I think this model is better than the Canon XA10. OS is better, picture is more natural and robust in low light (Canon holds up well but NR is more obvious), and the "17x" zoom is an actual useful feature thanks to the overstocked imager. The build quality of the detachable handle is much better (not hard to beat Canon's rattler in that category). Still, the thing I would have wanted most on the NX30 would be customizable buttons on either the camera body or the handle.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for this quick update. I am looking at the XA10 vs. the NX30 too. Not having a start/stop or zoom rocker on the handle is a major limitation for me as I often shoot from low angle and hold the handle.

I also wonder about the balance of the XA10 vs. NX30 (never been able to see one in the flesh, but XA10 looks like it may be better balanced).

Can't wait for a head-to-head comparison between the 2 cameras.

6. Collapse Details
    I am having the same question, NX30 vs XA10. Biggest question I have seems to be one that hasn't been addressed. I have noticed in the NX series of Sony Cameras that the zoom in/out control is terrible. It does not respond well like so many other Sony or other major brand models. You practically have to press the zoom control down half way before it will respond. I have 3 NX5U Sony Cameras and all exhibit this problem. I have also called Sony about this and they seem to not think this is a glitch, despite the numerous complaints received on this camera. The NX70 also stated the same inssues.

Can anyone chime in on the quality of the zoom control. Does it have good response as it should or is it like the other NX series of cameras that have the problem with an unresponsive zoom? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

7. Collapse Details
    @npact: This is late, but to comment on the zoom rocker: It is the horizontal, consumer version of a rocker. You can try out similar implementations at consumer electronics stores. I find it responsive and precise enough for me. The NX70 copes with waterproofing and so I understand why that rocker would be too stiff to work well. Meanwhile I completely disagree with you regarding the NX5U rocker. It's the same full-size "giant handycam" rocker Sony's been using for years and worked fine for me.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cgalgon View Post
    @npact: This is late, but to comment on the zoom rocker: It is the horizontal, consumer version of a rocker. You can try out similar implementations at consumer electronics stores. I find it responsive and precise enough for me. The NX70 copes with waterproofing and so I understand why that rocker would be too stiff to work well. Meanwhile I completely disagree with you regarding the NX5U rocker. It's the same full-size "giant handycam" rocker Sony's been using for years and worked fine for me.
    Thanks cgalgon for the follow up. Much appreciated. I ended up buying the NX30, but sent it back to get the NX70, despite the zoom responsiveness (or lack thereof). I did find the NX70 a much better camera and worth the extra $500.

RE: NX5U zoom rocker. I will have to also disagree with you. In fact, so would Sony. They have received many complaints about their zoom rocker. In talking with their tech support, the whole line of those cameras has that zoom issue. He recommended I go with an EX series or another model line (I forgot the other line, but I believe it was the line that the Z5U or the Z7U is in), which would provide that real servo zoom feel that one would see with the professional camera lines. I came from shooting on a DSR-570. This has a BEAUTIFUL zoom control. The NX5U is poor in comparison. If you call the Sony tech department, they will tell you the difference (I forgot the language, but they admitted that the zoom is not and will never be professional as it's still a consumer based camera and some limitations had to be made).

9. Collapse Details
    Sorry, one more follow-up. The image quality on the NX30 and the NX70 is identical. I sent back the NX30 for the NX70 because of the more professional design the NX70 had. And it had more manual control than the NX30. All in all, the NX30 and NX70 have an excellent image quality for what those cameras are. In fact, I compared it to my NX5U cameras and the image was VERY similar, so I was thoroughly impressed with the quality they exhibit. I have not done low-light tests yet with the NX30 or NX70, so I cannot speak for the 'grain' found in low-light shooting situations, but under proper light, these cameras are excellent.

10. Collapse Details
    How do the Canon XA10 and Sony NX30 handle Green Screen productions?
    Hi,

I'm also considering using the Canon XA10 and Sony NX30 for web videos, shorts and documentary interviews.

Have any of you used the Canon XA10 or Sony NX30 for green screen work? If so, what were your results?

Would someone also please enlighten me on the zoom issues with the Sony NX30?

Thanks!