Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HV20 with black magic design hyperdeck shuttle 2
    i recieved my hyperdeck shuttle 2 today and was testing the hv20 with the compressed dnxhd in a .mov container. And have found some problems when editing in premier and was wanting some advice on the matter :

1: i cant use 'maximum bit depth', if i do i get weird blue and yellow colours on the highlights of the clips
    2: instead of importing 1 audio track with the dnxhd.mov clips, it imports 6 audio tracks (all the same) !!
    3: premier never guesses the field order right when using the dnxhd.mov.. i might manually select "upper field first" when shooting on the hv20.

awaiting your thoughts.

PS: i will say the quality of the video is fantastic !!!

2. Collapse Details
    I hadn't heard of the hyperdeck shuttle, but connecting the hv20 to an external recorder appears to be an interesting solution.
    How do you connect the hv20 (hdmi?)?
    Does this enhance significantly the video quality?
    Isn't this interlaced anymore

3. Collapse Details
    yes you connect via hdmi and bypass the HDV compression

4. Collapse Details
    Pros? Cons? I'd love to hear your thoughts

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonanthony1 View Post
    Pros? Cons? I'd love to hear your thoughts
    I too recently bought a Hyperdeck Shuttle 2. Although I plan to mainly use it with an HMC40, I decided to dust off my old HV20 to see if it makes that cam viable again. Inspired by the Bolex, here's the rig:

Hodrodded HV20.jpg

Unfortunately, some personal circumstances have limited my time as of late, so I haven't shot much with it yet. First impressions:

1. Bypassing the tape is very nice. It could be worth it just for that alone.
    2. Image quality seems improved over HDV, but I have not done the requisite side-by-side to say by how much.
    3. No HDV compression artefacts (obviously).
    4. The Hyperdeck doesn't perform miracles. Dynamic range is not improved, and even with the upgrade from 1440x1080 to 1920x1080 the HV20 image is still rather obviously softer than the HMC40 (which is itself getting to be an older camera.) I was hoping to be able to do multicam shoots with the HV20/Hyperdeck and HMC40/AVCHD, but they may not intercut well unless I soften the HMC40's image to match.

I may have time in a week or two for some real tests, if anyone is interested.

6. Collapse Details
    The Hyperdeck can't remove the pulldown, isn't that correct?
    Jan vs Jim... I'm putting my $ on the Jersey Girl.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMurcerFan View Post
    The Hyperdeck can't remove the pulldown, isn't that correct?
    That's correct. It's the biggest flaw with the Hyperdeck, IMHO.

8. Collapse Details
    Very interesting.

Love my hv20, would love to make it useful again.

9. Collapse Details
    So interesting to see interest in the HV20 again! It's a vintage modern by 2012 standards.
    As you may know, there has been TONS of testing and chatter on HV20.com about external recording benefits.
    As I recall, the color space is 4:2:2 which is amazing when you consider a recent release like the Panasonic GH3 is only 4:2:0
    You should also be aware that the Hyperdeck shuttle is not the only external recording option/
    Removing pull-down is no big deal either.
    The only disappointment is that color quality of uncompressed capture vs DV Compressed to tape is only a bit better.
    I still have my HV20 and use it when I want that 'vintage' HD look without all that nasty Moire you all get with the pricey DSLR's ;)

10. Collapse Details
    Actually, according to Dan Keaton of Converget Design, the HV20 is 4:4:4 out of the HDMI. I kid you not.

But the pulldown, at least for me, is a RPITA, b/c the HV20 records outside of the 16 to 235 legal range. While it gives you some more headroom, most pulldown removal programs clip the super blacks and whites that the HV20 records.

The only reliable solution I could find is processing each take individually in After Effects.
    Jan vs Jim... I'm putting my $ on the Jersey Girl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast