Thread: Alone

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    One thing I do want to address now rather than later, as it will come up in the critiques. I know there is no sound in space. I know it's a vacuum and sound can't travel in a vacuum. But since I don't have the vision or the talent of Stanley Kubrick, and can't afford a full orchestra to play classical music over my images, I've decided that in my universe, in my space - there is sound.

I actually edited part of the film with no sound efx in the space sequences and it was pretty deadly. Although it might make my SFX editing a lot easier.
    "If they move, kill'em!"

2. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't worry about addressing that, most every movie besides 2001 has sound effects in space.

my pet peeve, and this is inexcusable... when humans get jettisoned from a space craft without a suit on and they just float away rather than completely imploding from the vaccum of space.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

3. Collapse Details
    how's the animating going?
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

4. Collapse Details
    All but two CG shots completed. Shooting the live action stuff on Thursday. I finally got the cockpit set finished, but the idea of putting it on a gimble got trashed when I realized the set and the actor together weigh close to five hundred pounds and i don't have NASA to help me out. I'll be using my Kessler Crane to simulate motion instead. Spent the last two days designing and building the body armor the pilot wears. Being a one man band is not always the best approach - but then I have no one to blame but myself if this thing ends up looking like crap! I'm cutting it close, but I think I'll make the 16th deadline.
    I'll post some BTS pix of the cockpit shoot on Friday.
    "If they move, kill'em!"

5. Collapse Details
    If a spaceship explodes in space...and there's no one there to hear it....does it not make a sound? You do realize no one will see that post and comment anyway?
    I for one can't wait to see what you've come up with.

CG awayyyyyyyyy..........

6. Collapse Details
    Looking/sounding good so far...
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

7. Collapse Details
    It sounds like you really have your hands full, but it sounds great. Love the CG vid you posted.
    As far as sound, I think most viewers have come to expect to hear explosions in space, regardless of the facts.
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
    the writer formerly known as "Conlan Forever"

Need a short script?
    Have an idea? Want to collaborate? Contact me.

screenwriter75@yahoo.com

8. Collapse Details
    Live shoot posponed until tomorrow (Friday). I'm heading for bed after setting up the lights and making final tweaks to the cockpit set. I'll shoot some BTS stills when I get a chance, but since I'm the only crew member, it might not show much.
    "If they move, kill'em!"

9. Collapse Details
    I added a few frame grabs from work I did today. All live action shooting is finished, some VO and Foley tomorrow and then finish up the effects. it's going to be tight, but I think I'll make it.
    "If they move, kill'em!"

10. Collapse Details
    Well, folks, looks like I'm out. I realzed at four AM last night that I wouldn't be able to fihish my film on time. It's the risk you take being a one man band. Ninty percent of my shots - even the live ones- contain some form of CG or compositing. I'm working eight hours a day freelancing on a critical job for a client at the moment and there are not enough hours left in the next two days to finish Alone, even if I work the other twelve without sleep until Thursday. The killer is that I have 41/2 pages of the six page script completely done. But the last scene - and it's a short so the last scene is the kicker - is simply too complicated to finish by Thrusday.

I'm looking forward to watching the films entered in this fest. From the threads, screen grabs and BTS, it looks like there is some serious competition coming our way Thrusday. I can't wait to watch everyone's efforts. Sorry I won't be there at the finish.
    "If they move, kill'em!"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast