Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Next Step Up for a 16 year old ?
    I'm just now selling my AGDVX100A.
    And I'm wanting to upgrade to an HD camera. I really need a camera that shoots to an SD card, much like the HMC150 does, in fact, i'd kill for an HMC150, but there cheapest is $2500 on ebay, and amazon. I'm looking for a good, reliable and camera between $1000 and $1500 USED. I don't really like the HMC40 , and I don't want a small camera, such as the Canon VIXIA HF G10, I want something about the size and look of my DVX, just in HD. I was thinking about the V1U, but it records to tape, and it's going into the dark ages. I was actually thinking about the HMC80 but even leaning MORE SO near the HXR-MC2000U, even though it's a shoulder mounted camera.

Why are the shoulder mounted cameras so cheap? I'm only worried about the dis advantages of having a a big camera, because my DVX was perfect size, although the MC2000u is nice and attractive, but feasible?

But please, some good answers. Thanks!
    Last edited by Eddie Dean; 06-10-2012 at 12:01 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    And also, I'd prefer a camera that shoots to an SD card, but I want to stay away from DSLRs. I really like the HMC150 but the price is kind of out of the question, and the HMC40 didn't impress me at all.

Any ideas?

3. Collapse Details
    I have the HMC80, it lacks some advanced features and requires more light than the 130/160. It does both SD and HD. It is a viable option if you lack a budget. I am unfamiliar with the HMC150, but I suggest you steer clear of the HMC40.
    a Texas place which hangs on this board will have some of the best prices.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post
    I'd prefer a camera that shoots to an SD card, but I want to stay away from DSLRs.
    Any particular reason?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kylevant View Post
    Any particular reason?
    Well, I'm trying to steer clear of any MiniDV , although I love tapes, and recording to tape, but the further we get in time, the older tape is becoming. I wanted to sell my DVX while it was still worth money. Also, my experience with MiniDV is a lot of frame-dropping.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post
    Well, I'm trying to steer clear of any MiniDV , although I love tapes, and recording to tape, but the further we get in time, the older tape is becoming. I wanted to sell my DVX while it was still worth money. Also, my experience with MiniDV is a lot of frame-dropping.
    DSLRs do not shoot on MiniDV.

Get a frikkin' DSLR, man It's kinda the perfect camera for a 16-year-old. Expensive one not necessary.

Hey man, when I was 16, I was shooting on a VHS-C camcorder - so enjoy the perks of living in the future, I say!

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

7. Collapse Details
    The reason I discourage the use of DSLR cameras is because too many forget quality audio is just as important as quality video. Sure, there are work-arounds for that issue when shooting a DSLR camera but...it's a work-around when buying a single unit camera that offers both quality audio and video saves a person from having to go the Rube Goldberg route for a solution.

DSLR cameras shoot pretty pictures when you have all the time in the world to futz around with them. Sadly, many video production needs have a limited amount of time available due to budget or subject-matter realities.

It's important to pick a camera which offers you a variety of options instead of just wanting an image with a critical depth of field while losing out to other, equally important, needs.

Just to be clear...I do use a DSLR camera as a reverse camera angle for some two camera shoots.

I don't want to come across as a "never" guy! ;)
    Last edited by Lensmith; 06-12-2012 at 03:47 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceallen View Post
    Get a frikkin' DSLR, man It's kinda the perfect camera for a 16-year-old. Expensive one not necessary.
    Do it...

And as for audio, best to get used to the way they do it in Hollywood anyway.

9. Collapse Details
    I have a DSLR as my second camera. The Nikon D3100. Now, I just want a actual video camera, with good audio.
    That is why I'm gonna probably purchase the Sony HXR-MC2000u.

hxr-mc2000u-sony__21508_zoom.jpg

10. Collapse Details
    Hmc40
    I'm curious what factors made you write off the HMC40. I shoot with it (mostly underwater) and I find the image quality fantastic. You do need to use an external ND and watch your low light, but it matches quite nicely to the HMC150. Out of the water it feels pretty balanced in my hand, and throw in the XLR adaptor on the handle and you are good to go. I would like a wide angle adaptor on it though if I was using it more topside. Also, the HMC80 is pretty much the same as the 40 in a bigger body so the image will be the same. I'm guessing that the MC2000 is similar also since its in the same price range. I would think the only deciding factor would be form. Is that what threw you off the 40? kairosmatt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast